#COVID19 | Page 772 | Vital Football

#COVID19

You can keep your middle class guilt my family were Irish immigrants & then coal miners, I know how lucky I am & those that came before me did so I can live in peace & comfort by the sea & I think about it often.

When was the last no blacks, no dogs no Irish signs taken down? They’re probably going back up because the working class were fucked over by the same empire building ***** that have always been in charge.

Do you have a point? Normally I can wade through your posts and just about find one but I'm struggling here.

Without wading through it all my biggest criticism would be, who are you to oppose it? Just as who am I to impose it...

Why not actually ask the descendents of slavery what they want and go from there...
Why ask them?

Honestly, why?

Try to avoid the knee jerk horror reaction at what I've just said and actually think about it abstractly.

They are not victims of slavery. By all means fix the things they are victims of, but they are not victims of slavery.

One side point, say I cracked you over the head and take a hundred quid from your wallet. 50 I spend on myself, and with the other 50 I buy some LED light bulbs, break into your house and install them.

Have I stolen 50 or 100 quid from you?
Irrelevant because I'm not debating morality on this one.

You quoted a number that has been in the media, but the number was misleading. That is it

This is racist.
Why is it?

In what sense am I discriminating against somebody on the basis of their skin colour?

You are deploying "racist" as a trump card, on the assumption that all debate automatically ends when you've played it. It is as nonsensical as when DF claims you are anti Semitic.

A fortnight ago Korean courts ruled against Japan and ordered them to pay compensation to the surviving "comfort women" (sex slaves) from world war II.

I wholeheartedly support that, because in this case restitution to victims is possible. There are quite a few actual victims still alive, and an apology and restitution is due. It won't happen unfortunately, but it is right in my view. To be honest, I would ve tempted to support (not that my support means anything) to some degree even it being paid to the children of victims, given the likelihood of psychological scarring affecting their lives.

But you are talking about compensation for events 150 years and maybe 7-8 generations ago.

I am open to listening to your arguments on this, but you aren't arguing; you are just calling me racist because I believe in a certain statute of limitations. Because I believe that compensation 8 generations hence is meaningless and because I don't regard people 7-8 generations on to be either victims nor perpetrators of slavery, OR Colonialism.

Germany has paid compensation to most of the countries they invaded in world war II. But that has been within living memory, with people still alive.

You are better than this but unfortunately you are just shutting down the debate and hiding behind an offensive label. I am open to being convinced, but you actually have to put a convincing argument out first.

Anyway, schools update

We have had an email from Gav today with new rules on the use of lateral flow tests in schools. This is the third set of new rules this week.

This is what I *think* is happening now, until he sends another new set of rules

So, if we get a positive, instead of going straight away for a proper lab test or doing a second lateral flow, we have to go home and isolate for (I think) ten days.

The original plan was for any child or staff member who was a close contact of a positive case to get tested every day for 7 days but stay in school. Now they have to go home and isolate for 10 or 7 or whatever it is now.

So the whole point of the testing, which was to try and keep more kids and staff at work, is out the window.

I'm not even sure we are supposed to test kids anymore. Wednesday's rules were that we only tested close contacts of actual cases, if they had consent. New rules render that pointless.

So apart from potentially picking up asymptomatic cases amongst staff, the testing regime that Gav bigged up will be utterly worthless and it's as you were.

Why is it?

In what sense am I discriminating against somebody on the basis of their skin colour?

You are deploying "racist" as a trump card, on the assumption that all debate automatically ends when you've played it. It is as nonsensical as when DF claims you are anti Semitic.

A fortnight ago Korean courts ruled against Japan and ordered them to pay compensation to the surviving "comfort women" (sex slaves) from world war II.

I wholeheartedly support that, because in this case restitution to victims is possible. There are quite a few actual victims still alive, and an apology and restitution is due. It won't happen unfortunately, but it is right in my view. To be honest, I would ve tempted to support (not that my support means anything) to some degree even it being paid to the children of victims, given the likelihood of psychological scarring affecting their lives.

But you are talking about compensation for events 150 years and maybe 7-8 generations ago.

I am open to listening to your arguments on this, but you aren't arguing; you are just calling me racist because I believe in a certain statute of limitations. Because I believe that compensation 8 generations hence is meaningless and because I don't regard people 7-8 generations on to be either victims nor perpetrators of slavery, OR Colonialism.

Germany has paid compensation to most of the countries they invaded in world war II. But that has been within living memory, with people still alive.

You are better than this but unfortunately you are just shutting down the debate and hiding behind an offensive label. I am open to being convinced, but you actually have to put a convincing argument out first.

I tell you what, as an exercise pick a black kid and a white kid from your class and trace both their family trees. Then tell me they're not also a victim of slavery.

I tell you what, as an exercise pick a black kid and a white kid from your class and trace both their family trees. Then tell me they're not also a victim of slavery.
Ok. I could certainly argue that is a touch racist from you, being as assumption that any black child I teach must be here as the descendent of a slave. That might be more likely in America but is far less likely here. An unfortunately generalisation by you.

I will go back and rephrase what I originally said.

They were not slaves.

Slavery has far more long reaching cultural effects in America than it ever will here. But I still believe in a certain statute of limitations. Human beings have always been absolutely shocking to each other, and still are. The African slave treade, i'm afraid, is a long way from the shittiest thing in human history and isn't even the worst of the last 300 years. There has to be a statute of limitations or we would be endlessly compensating each other for the horrific things our ancestors did in the past. The transatlantic slave trade was neither unique, nor new, nor even the most horrific event of the last few hundred years.

Your analogy is talking about poverty and I can promise you that a poor black child is no better or worse off (racism aside) than a poor white child. That poor black child is very unlikely to be the descendent of a slave in this country, but they may well be the victim of hampered social mobility. And that is what needs tackling.

As I said, I believe in limitations. On what basis would descendents have a right to claim compensation?

I suppose if you have every African American $1m dollars maybe that would see some levelling up. It wouldn't make any difference to a single slave though