#COVID19 | Page 769 | Vital Football

#COVID19

I don't know the numbers, but what if the amount of investment that had gone into the development meant that the sales would actually turn out to be at half price for South Africans?
(They are apparently justifying it based on the amount of previous investment.)

What if we actually took this opportunity to try to make amends for some of the damage we've done? We are a large part of the reason Africa can't afford to invest as much.

Profiteering life saving medicine turns my stomach.

It throws me back to brexiters telling me that lefty universities only wanted to stay in the EU because of the gravy train funding we get from them.

Well, turns out knowledge is indeed power. Who would have thought it!

At least we are in Horizon Europe, but much damage has already been done and it is unclear how much will be recoverable.

Edit: my point being that the UK and other EU nations have been investing in, and reaping the rewards of, the scientific excellence that has made this possible for decades.

Not sure how much time you've spent in Oxford if you think it's leftie. LSE for sure...

Oxford are busy doubling the price on them darn blacks.

I have questions about the SA variant of COVID.
1: Will the newer UK variant which is fast spreading, become dominant meaning there is less opportunity for the SA variant to break through?
2: Are people who have already caught non SA COVID be vulnerable to it?
3: Does it mean people will need a new/modified vaccination to be immune?

1: Will the newer UK variant which is fast spreading, become dominant meaning there is less opportunity for the SA variant to break through?

1) unsure

2) Yes. Even those who have caught it are vulnerable to it.

3) Definitely. It already reaches the criteria for a new vaccine.

*ITTO is better placed to answer for me.

1) unsure

2) Yes. Even those who have caught it are vulnerable to it.

3) Definitely. It already reaches the criteria for a new vaccine.

*ITTO is better placed to answer for me.

I guess the answer to 2 also answers 1 in a way. If you are equally as vulnerable to SA COVID whether or not you have caught another variant then it doesn't matter whether there is another dominant variant, SA variant will spread regardless.

I guess the answer to 2 also answers 1 in a way. If you are equally as vulnerable to SA COVID whether or not you have caught another variant then it doesn't matter whether there is another dominant variant, SA variant will spread regardless.

Thats certainly a concern from my limited understanding.

It's not disingenuous when people are going to die because of it.

It averages at 1m a week.

Last weekend we were talking about just over three million being done.

Now going into this weekend we are talking about 4m being done.

You keep saying its 1.7m or 2m a week, yet every time we get an update a week later it seems to have gone up by 1 million
That said.....

It still needs to be higher with second doses

.. I think our own version is already now dominant in the UK. (Might be wrong.)
So far as I know we don't have any SA strain yet. Let's assume it arrives, what would happen then? Depends on the answer to 2. Since the other strains have been through a decent portion of the pop. AND the UK strain is more infectious, AND the UK strain had a head start, it might be less of a problem than first appears. If we have some level of protection against it from past exposure to the Wuhan and UK variants, as well as the vaccinated portion of our community, then, again, it is less of an issue.
If it is sufficiently different that it is unrecognised by our immune system and vaccines, then you can treat it as a new pandemic of a different disease close to Day 1. Personally, I think this is unlikely. Even if so, the vaccine would be an update, and much quicker to come online.

.. This is the big worry. The answer is that we don't know yet. There are worrying signs that blood from some recovered patients of the Wuhan strain doesn't do much against it. However, the trials are in very small numbers and seem to be all over the place - some do, some don't. Also, the reaction in a dish can be very different from the reaction in a human bean.

.. As above.[/QUOTE]

What if we actually took this opportunity to try to make amends for some of the damage we've done? We are a large part of the reason Africa can't afford to invest as much.

Profiteering life saving medicine turns my stomach.
How on earth can we, not one of us having ran an Empire, make amends for what Imperial Britons (all dead) did to 19th and early 20th century Africans (all dead)?

Where does it stop?

Our ancestors exploited Indian and African ancestors. They were the latest in a long line of people to do so in both cases. Yuval Noah Harare makes quite a compelling argument in this case.

Should we also pay compensation to the French for the rape and pillage during the Chevauchee's of the 14th and 15th centuries?

How much should we be demanding from the Italians, Germans, Danes and Norman French for their invasions? 200,000 supposedly died in the harrying of the north by the Conqueror and it was laid waste; what is the compensation package for that?

Humans are shit. Now and in the past. There is absolutely no possible compensation that we today can offer to mitigate what dead people did to dead people, nor can we take the blame for long term consequences of that.

I am no more to blame for Empire than a German youth is for the Holocaust. We were not there. The spoils of society we enjoy are built on sweat and blood of our own ancestors in the sweatshops and factories of Victorian and Edwardian England; the long term spoils of empire are largely still with the same families who had it originally.

How on earth can we, not one of us having ran an Empire, make amends for what Imperial Britons (all dead) did to 19th and early 20th century Africans (all dead)?

Where does it stop?

Our ancestors exploited Indian and African ancestors. They were the latest in a long line of people to do so in both cases. Yuval Noah Harare makes quite a compelling argument in this case.

Should we also pay compensation to the French for the rape and pillage during the Chevauchee's of the 14th and 15th centuries?

How much should we be demanding from the Italians, Germans, Danes and Norman French for their invasions? 200,000 supposedly died in the harrying of the north by the Conqueror and it was laid waste; what is the compensation package for that?

Humans are shit. Now and in the past. There is absolutely no possible compensation that we today can offer to mitigate what dead people did to dead people, nor can we take the blame for long term consequences of that.

I am no more to blame for Empire than a German youth is for the Holocaust. We were not there. The spoils of society we enjoy are built on sweat and blood of our own ancestors in the sweatshops and factories of Victorian and Edwardian England; the long term spoils of empire are largely still with the same families who had it originally.

Bullshit. You live in a society where you continue to profit and they continue to suffer as a consequence of those actions.

I'm surprised to see you making a far right argument too.

Just because we can not fully make amends for the evils of our past doesn't mean we shouldn't try to mitigate the legacy of them.

Your argument is the same one a Nazi would make for not returning looted art from Jews.