Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm | Page 31 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm

Watching the highlights, I knew it was coming, I knew the outcome...but when it happened I still thought, he'll flag for that.

That's how obvious it was.

Christ alive.

I don't know why they seem deliberately intent on ruining the game and fucking off fans.

Absolute fucking horseshit and they know it.

Thats my thing, they fucking know it because if they don't thats even worse. If they don't know that it is bullshit it implies they don't know the rules themselves or they're in cahoots with Sky/Media Clubs.

And as @McParlandTheGreat and others including myself have pointed out. Ming's was tackled, end of. He didn't 'play it' to Rodri, he didn't pass it, he didn't give Rodri the ball in anyway shape, or form.

I have to hand it to Rodri, most players wouldn't have even made the challenge because they know they're offside. Rodri gambled, he played to the whistle and he's been rewarded.

Thats my thing, they fucking know it because if they don't thats even worse. If they don't know that it is bullshit it implies they don't know the rules themselves or they're in cahoots with Sky/Media Clubs.

And as @McParlandTheGreat and others including myself have pointed out. Ming's was tackled, end of. He didn't 'play it' to Rodri, he didn't pass it, he didn't give Rodri the ball in anyway shape, or form.

I have to hand it to Rodri, most players wouldn't have even made the challenge because they know they're offside. Rodri gambled, he played to the whistle and he's been rewarded.

Or had he been tipped off that the goal would be given.

Or had he been tipped off that the goal would be given.

I'm still not over it, Ming's looks over his shoulder, he knows Rodri is there. On one hand, some people would say 'well he definitely should have cleared it'. I wouldn't agree, he knows by the rules of the game the rest of us know if Rodri comes in and tackles him he's offside.

It's going a step too far to say Rodri knew he'd catch a break. That sort of thing just couldn't stay a secret.

I am just baffled, I've been baffled by a lot of decisions by VAR against us. That's up there with the Sheffield United goal that never was against us. Baffling incompetency and they doubled down. Even more baffling.

I think a lot of us might just say fair enough if they even admitted it was a mistake. That's the clearest case of 2+2=5 I've ever seen and the fact everyone is saying "wow never seen this happens before" for me is the smoking gun. They're blatantly trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

From the linesman to the referee, to whoever it was in Stockley Park. Incompetence just pouring out of their ears and they think they're right. You've got a referee in the studio who never contradicts the officials who goes and changes his mind simply because he got an explanation. Thats code for spineless and code for I'll back up my mates here. Probably even BT telling him not to contradict the decision or something from the EPL or Refs.

I am just lost for words because we all know if they were grilled about it the house of cards would fall. The meaning of words and phrases like "receive" and "plays the ball" is now open to interpretation. You'd also have to argue that Rodri is moving towards the ball as it's coming to Mings too. Rodri being offside influences Mings's decision to take the ball down IMO.

All this debate, all this confusion, players not knowing the interpretation, pundits arguing with each other, ex refs believing it’s offside then changing their mind...the decision is as clear as mud....yet one thing that baffles me, hasn’t really been mentioned....Andy Madley, the incompetent twat sat in his comfy box makes the quickest ever review in the history of VAR decisions....taking a nano second to decide whether Mings lost control of the ball etc....really cannot make this shit show up! Didn’t think I could be equally as wound up by a decision as I was by Mr Kevin Friend at Palace last season....but yep, think most of us would argue that this is right up there. Another classic horror show by those that supposedly control the game..from law makers to linesmen, refs on the pitch, refs off the pitch, refs sat in cosy boxes, ex refs assessing today’s refs, ex refs in charge of all today’s refs....all fecking useless and seriously spoiling the game we love.

As much as we all know the refs/Var fucked us, I am not surprised. They will justify all of their decisions against us. So I am not upset like the others are over VAR. This wasn't the first and won't be the last against us. Just when you think you have seen the worst VAR/refereeing decision against us, they shock us with a worse one.

I am still pissed with Mings, offside or not. I have come to terms with the fact that he won't change. Time to move on and hammer Newcastle. Anything less than a hammering and I'd be fuming.

Of all days to have a go, do it when we've got a surplus amount of chances, not when it bloody matters couldn't even beat the wall.

He's got one hell of a shot on him, we've found that in the past, but I think it's too important to give anyone a go, but meh we move on.

Like you say they're on a different level to us, it's just a shame the way the goals came, feeling unjust.
Luiz was taking a lot of shots yesterday, which is a bit unusual of him. I do hope the players didn't let him take the free kick to try and let him show himself off to City. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, just seemed odd to me too.

The only thing that bothered me tonight was that was our best side and, it shows how far away we really are from the top. a long way to go yet and most of these players will fall by the wayside in the next few seasons , either that or the will have to up it a level.
I saying that most of them are young so they could well do that. The defence was good today under extreme pressure the front 4 were lightweight but we have money and owners willing to spend.

The future is bright and we move on
I don't think that's quite the whole story. City won't always play that well. Yesterday they were absolutely at the top of their form. Every pass and movement they made was sharp and purposeful. For a lot of the season, they won't be that good.

Whilst we had a lot of desire and application, our decision making and final ball/passes were undeniably rusty. We'd have broken up their play a lot more if we were match fit.

They are a better team than us, we can't deny them that, but under different circumstances there is no reason we can't come away with something from them.

I don't think that's quite the whole story. City won't always play that well. Yesterday they were absolutely at the top of their form. Every pass and movement they made was sharp and purposeful. For a lot of the season, they won't be that good.

Whilst we had a lot of desire and application, our decision making and final ball/passes were undeniably rusty. We'd have broken up their play a lot more if we were match fit.

They are a better team than us, we can't deny them that, but under different circumstances there is no reason we can't come away with something from them.

I agree with some of what you say but we haven't played a team like that all season, we've been in with a shout in most games but last night it was a question of when they scored not if and that was the whole 90 mins. They made us look like Burnley
The commentary team were really happy with us because we'd read the script and we were plucky losers, just what they like.
I agree we were off the pace all game and we will get better but I don't see city losing many more games.
Manager of the month curse strikes as we haven't won this year yet< I don't want us becoming Leeds plucky losers, that was last season

9 straight wins for Ci£y. On reflection, it really is another brain fart moment from Mings, the ball should of been away immediately, it's a poor clearance by Martinez the ball comes back to Mings and its no time for taking a tricky chest down and looking for a second touch before passing. It's really poor decision making, again.

It’s official: Mark Clattenburg in the Daily Mail.
”In my view, Rodri should have been given offside. It doesn’t feel fair on Villa, or in the spirit of the game, that the goal stood.”

He said that Rodri immediately challenged Mings who had not got full control of the ball. As Mings chested the ball he was challenged, which prevented him from gaining control of it.
Sounds definitive to me.
We was robbed!

I agree with some of what you say but we haven't played a team like that all season, we've been in with a shout in most games but last night it was a question of when they scored not if and that was the whole 90 mins. They made us look like Burnley
The commentary team were really happy with us because we'd read the script and we were plucky losers, just what they like.
I agree we were off the pace all game and we will get better but I don't see city losing many more games.
Manager of the month curse strikes as we haven't won this year yet< I don't want us becoming Leeds plucky losers, that was last season
It will take a few years of very successful transfer windows for us to have the same quality potential as City.

It was also the only 90 minute mauling we've had this season. Compare that to last season where it was a distinct possibility against most teams.

I also don't believe we were plucky losers in the game, as we often were past season. The two goals shouldn't have been given. When we pluckily lost last year, they were due to legitimate goals. With a different ref, there's every chance we could have been mauled and walked away with a point.

If anything, and I expect this to continue for most of the season, we are the ones dishing out the mauling. It's more likely that we will be cursing not taking our chances (Burnley, West Ham, Brighton, Saints at a push) than finally succumbing to an onslaught this season in my opinion.

Mings needs better awareness, that ball should of been cleared end of.
That's 3 games running he's dropped bollock, needs to step up now.

Ridiculous. There wasn't a player on the pitch who knew that rule. Mings knew Rodri was there , so what would yours , his and everyone elses reaction be ?

I know the answer because it was he's coming from an offside position so he is no danger , because he can't go near the ball. That's what everyone thought until last night.

Ridiculous rule about the ball being under control or not because now the rest of the Premier League is aware of this rule , then they will all be trying to do it and chaos will ensue because you will have some incompetent buffoon on VAR deciding from 100's of miles away whether a player has the ball under control or not , and you can bet your bottom dollar that there decision will depend on what name the team affected is.

Ridiculous. There wasn't a player on the pitch who knew that rule. Mings knew Rodri was there , so what would yours , his and everyone elses reaction be ?

I know the answer because it was he's coming from an offside position so he is no danger , because he can't go near the ball. That's what everyone thought until last night.

Ridiculous rule about the ball being under control or not because now the rest of the Premier League is aware of this rule , then they will all be trying to do it and chaos will ensue because you will have some incompetent buffoon on VAR deciding from 100's of miles away whether a player has the ball under control or not , and you can bet your bottom dollar that there decision will depend on what name the team affected is.

Yep as i said last night stand off side wait for the CB to control the ball then rob him . Ollie would be ideal with his speed

It’s official: Mark Clattenburg in the Daily Mail.
”In my view, Rodri should have been given offside. It doesn’t feel fair on Villa, or in the spirit of the game, that the goal stood.”

He said that Rodri immediately challenged Mings who had not got full control of the ball. As Mings chested the ball he was challenged, which prevented him from gaining control of it.
Sounds definitive to me.
We was robbed!
Why VAR didn't get involved is the concern and again points to corruption in the game