Match Thread, Forest v Millwall, can we do it ? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread, Forest v Millwall, can we do it ?

I was not watching the game and have not seen the Millwall goal, but was following the text updates on Nottingham Post and they thought that Samba had clearly been fouled for the Millwall goal. Also the referee was Keith Stroud and everyone knows what problems Forest have had with him, so I would tend to believe that asseessment of the goal. If that is right, we need to be fair to Samba.
Ref was good today, nothing controversial.if Samva was fouled it was after he 'punched' the ball. He 'punches and flaps' the ball too much for my liking. On that aspect Smith is better.

Some perspective

3 wins in a row now and by far our best performance. We looked like a championship side for the first time. Good team performance and the players looked like they were at least passingly aquainted with each other.

McKenna and Worrall look fantastic together.

Some excellent options on the bench that we didn't even use

I thought Taylor looked excellent when he came on.

Mighten added a bit of trickery today and just needs to know how to cross the ball.

Ameobi had his best game in ages, the physicality suited him.

Meanwhile, Derby have swapped their best player for what could prove to be their worst manager. They have forgone new manager bounce, lost a critical home 6 pointer and the takeover remains incomplete with half the transfer window left. 15 goals in 23 games and they have less than half the month left to try to fix that with reinforcements.

BUT

Goals are still hard to come by for us as well.

By that I mean that we needed two screamers from outside the area today to be comfortable in this game. The sort of goal you can't score every game.

How many shots did we have inside the area? Not sure we had any.

Our buildup play is still seriously lacking in terms of creating chances for the strikers in the area. This is a concern. On another day this could have been 1-1 or worse.

We are now at a crossroads.

Two home league games against Boro and Barnsley.

Get two wins in those (or 4 points) and we end up in lower midtable. We'll not be directly in the relegation battle any more, breeding confidence. I would even put us down for our customary 14th place finish and the chance to finish the season with relatively little worry.

If we blow the next two home games, then when games in hand get played we'll be sucked back in.

The question for Hughton and his team now is; are we a proper championship side now or not?

Ref was good today, nothing controversial.if Samva was fouled it was after he 'punched' the ball. He 'punches and flaps' the ball too much for my liking. On that aspect Smith is better.

It was during. Sambz actually caught a few today, didnt have alot to do bar the goal

Some perspective

3 wins in a row now and by far our best performance. We looked like a championship side for the first time. Good team performance and the players looked like they were at least passingly aquainted with each other.

McKenna and Worrall look fantastic together.

Some excellent options on the bench that we didn't even use

I thought Taylor looked excellent when he came on.

Mighten added a bit of trickery today and just needs to know how to cross the ball.

Ameobi had his best game in ages, the physicality suited him.

Meanwhile, Derby have swapped their best player for what could prove to be their worst manager. They have forgone new manager bounce, lost a critical home 6 pointer and the takeover remains incomplete with half the transfer window left. 15 goals in 23 games and they have less than half the month left to try to fix that with reinforcements.

BUT

Goals are still hard to come by for us as well.

By that I mean that we needed two screamers from outside the area today to be comfortable in this game. The sort of goal you can't score every game.

How many shots did we have inside the area? Not sure we had any.

Our buildup play is still seriously lacking in terms of creating chances for the strikers in the area. This is a concern. On another day this could have been 1-1 or worse.

We are now at a crossroads.

Two home league games against Boro and Barnsley.

Get two wins in those (or 4 points) and we end up in lower midtable. We'll not be directly in the relegation battle any more, breeding confidence. I would even put us down for our customary 14th place finish and the chance to finish the season with relatively little worry.

If we blow the next two home games, then when games in hand get played we'll be sucked back in.

The question for Hughton and his team now is; are we a proper championship side now or not?

You saw today, getting closer i think. Think malta was right about the 2nd goal- you see us after being half a yard quicker, bit more willing to run back etc

We did create today but mostly fooked it up or made bad decisions. That is a step up from.previous games.

Agree about worrall and the big jock mckenna. Very good today.

Need a couple more professional wins imo before the feel good can really come back but if we dont drop performance below today we will be safe imo

It's all about big Samba Sow, lads.

He's defo lost some timber, has played something like five/six games in a row and the results follow.
I think his energy around the park, pressing of opponents and skill on the ball gives the team so much confidence.
Hope his substitution was either precautionary or tactical from Hughton...he's essential.

Also, think Christie deserves a mention, as, at times, he does take some pelters but today he was very solid.
Yates was decent and will probably make the DM spot his own

70 points for 6th place (as we all know far too well) last season.
22 games to go....45 points, a tick over 2 points a game. Possible?

A good performance, solid in defence decent in attack. Ameobi scored two great goals and, as a free, he must be one of our best signings in recent windows. Some poor crossing from the flanks when in good areas.

I thought Mighton had a good second half. Other than Ameobi and Mighton, we were quite workmanlike, but solid.

I was really unimpressed, again, with Samba's punching and flapping when balls come into the box. He must unnerve the defenders. Smith should play IMO.

Think the pray offs are a real stretch, be happy just to be safe sooner rather than later and creep into the top half.

We did create a few more chances today, grabban had 2 shots within 8 yards both he should have looked up and squared it we haven't had a striker in those positions to often this season. The defence looks a unit, both full backs also played well. Midfield may lack a little guile (Cafu does pick the odd clever pass) but it's not going to get bullied often.

We are beginning to reap the benefits of Hughton's disciplined approach, or insanity, I think it was described as a few weeks ago.

By sticking with a similar line up each week, he has allowed players to play themselves back into form and build a little confidence.

The spine of the side is looking very strong; it has taken a long time and a number of false starts to get there though.

The Worrall, Figueredo pairing was looking decent, the Worrall, McKenna pairing looks a significant improvement on that.

The destructive capabilities of Sow and Yates is giving good protection to the defence; we are no longer a push over in the middle, we just need to tighten up out wide now and stop players putting quality crosses in.

And Grabban is getting back to his best; he looked strong today against a very physical defence, held the ball up well and showed good movement around the box.

If we can maintain that strong spine we can look to improve going forward.

It was good to see Mighten display a bit of trickery today; he is obviously settling into the side and feeling more confident, his defensive play is improving as well.

Hopefully we will start to see better from Knockheart and with Freeman back in the next week or so, we start to look like we have some goals in us.

I see Warnock is complaining about our pre match huddle:

“Maybe we'll have to break the protocols and have a pre-match scrummage like them today with nothing said to them.”

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-takes-aim-ahead-4896638

In comparison to defending a Millwall corner, out huddle is model of social distancing
It is farcical to complain about both that and goal celebrations given how close players get in set pieces etc.

Warnock would have been better thinking about his own team that lost at home to shite Birmingham than switching the TV on to bitch about us.

If annoyance at the huddle is his key takeaway from his TV scouting mission then I'm delighted.