Imps in Exile | Page 4 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Not going to lie friends: I am new to the Imps. I have been a fan of MLS side Chicago FC for many years (closest team to me in Western Michigan).

My wife and I got genetic tests for Christmas 2 years ago and I found out I have many, many relatives from Lincolnshire. Mainly Lincoln and Spalding. This was a surprise to me because I thought I was mainly Scottish. This lead me to check out the local teams and the Imps spoke to me most....so...here I am.

I am a newbie but I watch every game on iFollow as it is the only way I know! Someday I'll make it to the Bank and I'll buy a drink for any who wants to join.

Edit: my wife makes fun of me because I am a huge fan of an obscure League One team in England. She just doesn't get it.

Welcome aboard. So what do you think of the Fire going back to Soldier Field? I guess Toyota Park was a nice ground in the wrong place as Bridge view is miles from the City centre. Although having driven round Chicago it's hugely spread out like most US cities.

It’s so refreshing to see how random people spread all around the globe are united by their joint passion of a very special football club. Some are friends, some I will never meet, some I never wish to meet but I enjoy the contributions from everyone, well nearly everyone😂😂

Not going to lie friends: I am new to the Imps. I have been a fan of MLS side Chicago FC for many years (closest team to me in Western Michigan).

My wife and I got genetic tests for Christmas 2 years ago and I found out I have many, many relatives from Lincolnshire. Mainly Lincoln and Spalding. This was a surprise to me because I thought I was mainly Scottish. This lead me to check out the local teams and the Imps spoke to me most....so...here I am.

I am a newbie but I watch every game on iFollow as it is the only way I know! Someday I'll make it to the Bank and I'll buy a drink for any who wants to join.

Edit: my wife makes fun of me because I am a huge fan of an obscure League One team in England. She just doesn't get it.
Welcome aboard!

You're probably more 'Lincolnshire' than many of us on here including me - Lincs born but English and Welsh parents and grandparents, father in the RAF posted to 'Bomber County', theres a fair few Lincolnshire residents and Imps supporters with that background.

Welcome aboard!

You're probably more 'Lincolnshire' than many of us on here including me - Lincs born but English and Welsh parents and grandparents, father in the RAF posted to 'Bomber County', theres a fair few Lincolnshire residents and Imps supporters with that background.

A lot of people (understandably in the main) really don't get our county affinity and connection with The RAF. I've even seen a few negative comments on some message boards decrying our jingoistic war mongering when we do The Dambusters, which is a shame as it clearly isn't about that if they knew.

It possibly gets a bad rap because of it's unsavoury connotations in the past when England played Germany.

When I think of Lincolnshire it's the cathedral, pork products, RAF and oh yeah Lincoln City; not necessarily in that order.

These nostalgia threads are the best on here. Tell you what I miss nowadays, the old-fashioned full and proper league table which showed won, draw, loss at home, goals for and against, and then the same for away games. These modern, cut-down tables just won't do.

A lot of people (understandably in the main) really don't get our county affinity and connection with The RAF. I've even seen a few negative comments on some message boards decrying our jingoistic war mongering when we do The Dambusters, which is a shame as it clearly isn't about that if they knew.

It possibly gets a bad rap because of it's unsavoury connotations in the past when England played Germany.

When I think of Lincolnshire it's the cathedral, pork products, RAF and oh yeah Lincoln City; not necessarily in that order.

What I remember most about the RAF when I was growing up in a village about 9 miles from Lincoln was the windows of my old primary school rattling like they were going to come out of the wall when Vulcans would be taking off and flying out of Waddington and to a lesser extent Scampton. When 3 or 4 went up together the teacher couldn't speak for a while because you couldn't hear them while they past over.

Happy Days!

What I remember most about the RAF when I was growing up in a village about 9 miles from Lincoln was the windows of my old primary school rattling like they were going to come out of the wall when Vulcans would be taking off and flying out of Waddington and to a lesser extent Scampton. When 3 or 4 went up together the teacher couldn't speak for a while because you couldn't hear them while they past over.

Happy Days!

In it's hay day I wouldn't be surprised if most if not all residents of Lincolnshire were pretty much living within 10 miles or so of a RAF facility or airbase. My Dad for his part wasn't in The RAF but during the sixties worked on The Vulcans as an aircraft technician for AV Roe so you can blame him for rattling the windows.

Happy Days!

That's one my abiding memories of living as a kid in Hykeham.

That, and seeing the goods trains slow down as they passed over the Railway End whilst a match was in progress

Good old Chris Ashton whose distinctive tone used to echo around the Sincil Bank before Alan Long. Yep he is definitely a Lincoln legend and still involved with the club in a big way ( runs the Redimps away travel when fans are allowed). Doreen his mum used to run the tea bar and frighten all us teenagers to death on the Red Imps away bus years ago.

Another Chris Ashton classic ' Todays attendance four thousand no hundred and eighty six.' I have been trying to get Alan Long to do that for years.:lol:

Often chatted with Chris for years. Saw him and his dad George on the High Street pre Pandemic and his dad told me his first City match at Sincil Bank was 1934 :oops:
When I inflicted myself and mates on away coach trips with Chris in charge, one of his classic sayings when we stoped for 'comfort' breaks was 'twoilets only' can still hear him saying it now, a great guy is Chris and fantastic supporter of LCFC. When we played Liverpool recently the Radio Five live presenter at the game , John Murray, mentioned how good it was to meet up with Chris again and how well they were taken care of. A great ambassador for the Club.
UTI.

Do Lincolnshire people have special genes? Yes we do. I hope you’ve embraced the haslet, plum bread and chine. We might be a weird bunch but your missus is missing out if she doesn’t get onboard
Dont forget the Curtis chicklings , mum loved them with vinegar, god they were vile. Best not to ask which part of the chicken they came from !!

In it's hay day I wouldn't be surprised if most if not all residents of Lincolnshire were pretty much living within 10 miles or so of a RAF facility or airbase. My Dad for his part wasn't in The RAF but during the sixties worked on The Vulcans as an aircraft technician for AV Roe so you can blame him for rattling the windows.

Both Mrs S and I remember as children (before we knew each other!) laying in bed at night as the Vulcans from Scampton flew over - a very comforting sound, strangely

Shortly before retiring, I did some work at the BAe factory at Woodford (ex A V Rowe, where Vulcans had been built) when it was closing. There was an old Vulcan on the edge of the airfield, which some company pensioners used to meet up in one afternoon a week

He might have worked with my Dad! He had several roles at Waddo but was mainly an electrical engineer, knew his way round the electrics of the Vulcan and had some trips to Woodford. One joy late in his life was seeing and hearing the Vulcan flying over our house again at its first return to the Waddington display, a few months before he passed away.

Like the Lancaster, you could never mistake the sound of the Vulcan for anything else. The 4-Vulcan scrambles they used to practice, and finish the 1960s Battle of Britain displays with, was a sight and sound to behold.