Football and Covid | Vital Football

Football and Covid

jocklatic

Vital 1st Team Regular
With the country currently in it's 3rd lockdown, the uncertainty of whether it will work & the current issues around getting people vaccinated ASAP, would this not have been an ideal time for the footballing authorities / communities to come to the fore, get some much needed PR & be a shining example of great community spirit by stopping ALL football, opening up their facilities to aid the vaccine roll out whilst providing medical staff? This I feel could enhance footballs reputation, make it seen as an example of what can be done if big institutes can get involved whilst gaining alot of good publicity. Just a pity some well connected celebrities / media outlets could publicise this and maybe gather some momentum!!!
Sadly tho that is just a pipe dream as imo the only thing football cares about are themselves and the ££££.

Let's just ignore the dozens of community clubs that would go under due to the loss of income. Great community spirit indeed.

Sean Dyche had the right idea. Vaccinate the footballers and put the millions of quid the Premier League and EFL are throwing down the pisser on Covid testing into the NHS instead. Anyone caught breaking lockdown rules should be banned from playing until next season and fined a 7 figure fee. Then these twats like Kyle Walker will behave themselves.

It's embarrassing that we're even discussing this. Every other country in Europe seems to have their house in order. The government and the majority of regular citizens of this country have embarrassed themselves over how this virus have been handled from February of last year. Almost a year on and still locked down because no one can behave themselves. Farcical!

Im in full agreement Jock. As I’ve just posted on another thread there was a ten man pike on in the Rochdale game after they scored today; there was hand shakes all around after the Chorley game. Whatever message and instructions are sent out it doesn’t get through so the only option is to stop the season until the risk decreases.

Let's just ignore the dozens of community clubs that would go under due to the loss of income. Great community spirit indeed.

Sean Dyche had the right idea. Vaccinate the footballers and put the millions of quid the Premier League and EFL are throwing down the pisser on Covid testing into the NHS instead. Anyone caught breaking lockdown rules should be banned from playing until the end of the season and fined a 7 figure fee. Then these twats like Kyle Walker will behave themselves.

Given a choice you would prefer footballers to be vaccinated before your elderly parents who if they catch the virus it would probably kill them this after the NHS have spent thousands in trying to keep them alive?

Strange!

Given a choice you would prefer footballers to be vaccinated before your elderly parents who if they catch the virus it would probably kill them this after the NHS have spent thousands in trying to keep them alive?

Strange!
The money that would be saved on testing and transferred to the NHS would ultimately see people vaccinated quicker and more lives ultimately saved.

The money that would be saved on testing and transferred to the NHS would ultimately see people vaccinated quicker and more lives ultimately saved.

Opening up a can of worms, there's a priority list based on vulnerability.
Already today I read reports of a London based property company offering £5k for any unused vaccine to GP's.

The issue is one of supply, it wouldnt speed up the program.

However if you want to set a fee at say 25 grand to jump the queue, with that money used to pay the covid debt then it may work. 100,000 consumers at that level then it’s a huge sum. Given the plan is for 2 million vaccinations a week it should only delay everyones jab by a day which id argue given the money involved is an acceptable delay.

Sean Dyche had the right idea. Vaccinate the footballers and put the millions of quid the Premier League and EFL are throwing down the pisser on Covid testing into the NHS instead. Anyone caught breaking lockdown rules should be banned from playing until next season and fined a 7 figure fee. Then these twats like Kyle Walker will behave themselves.

It's embarrassing that we're even discussing this. Every other country in Europe seems to have their house in order. The government and the majority of regular citizens of this country have embarrassed themselves over how this virus have been handled from February of last year. Almost a year on and still locked down because no one can behave themselves. Farcical!

Few mixed messages there CL, or maybe I'm just not reading your post correctly!!! Are you saying players should be given the vaccine? Are u saying the PL are wasting money on testing?
As to the community clubs 'going under' I'd hazard a guess they're not far from that n cancelling football wouldn't speed up or slow that down imo.
As to the Sean Dyche statement ....just reinforces the living in a bubble state that the PL live in. I mean take Sam Alerdyce's comment just days after taking over at WBA, winging about covid & how at his age he was at high risk.....mmmm but sod the big contract he no doubt signed...hypocrites the lot of them...hugging, handshakes & jumping all over each other during goal celebrations....Great message that.
Agree with u that we ( our country) are an embarrassment in how some of us have handled the whole covid thing....but the footballing community who have a big influence could have done themselves proud by helping out if only they looked at the bigger picture imo.

Watching Marine v Spurs on bbc1.....an aerial shot above the ground n the commentators waxing lyrical about it being a great sight, seeing football being played in such strange times....what utter bollocks, what does this do to aid our lockdown / covid plights ffs. Not to mention all the hugging & over the top NO social distancing celebrations...should be ashamed & Government should look at this total farce.

Interesting comments from Prof Chris Witty on TV this morning regarding football being played, seems to be of the opinion that it would have little effect on transmission but has a good effect on morale.

In all honesty I would rather see them concentrate their efforts on closing down the multitude of "essential" retailers that seem to have sprung up.

It appears that under current rules if you sell toothpaste and loo rolls you can claim to be an essential retailer as well as garden centres and large sheds like B&Q being left open to encourage people to leave their homes. Madness to me .

At least with football there is less likelihood of the virus spreading than there is with the amount of people out for a days "shopping" or should that be out for a nosey around.

The issue is one of supply, it wouldnt speed up the program.

However if you want to set a fee at say 25 grand to jump the queue, with that money used to pay the covid debt then it may work. 100,000 consumers at that level then it’s a huge sum. Given the plan is for 2 million vaccinations a week it should only delay everyones jab by a day which id argue given the money involved is an acceptable delay.

No, that would be a further extension of the vast advantage gap between rich and poor.
If you can afford £25k then you are deemed a better person to try to keep alive than someone who can't afford it (most ordinary people). Then you may also get some vulnerable people panicking and spending their life savings or going into debt just to try to make sure get the vaccine.
This country and the world in general already puts the rich above the less fortunate and allows them too much power and influence. the Rees-Mogg type people of this world would love it.

Interesting comments from Prof Chris Witty on TV this morning regarding football being played, seems to be of the opinion that it would have little effect on transmission but has a good effect on morale.

The problem yesterday was crowds forming to ‘welcome’ the Spurs team to Marine. I fully understand the excitement but given it breaches the regulations on why one is allowed out then it isn’t a great look. As I’ve previously said I’m probably one of the few that enjoy the plethora of games available so get the morale aspect.

No, that would be a further extension of the vast advantage gap between rich and poor.
If you can afford £25k then you are deemed a better person to try to keep alive than someone who can't afford it (most ordinary people). Then you may also get some vulnerable people panicking and spending their life savings or going into debt just to try to make sure get the vaccine.
This country and the world in general already puts the rich above the less fortunate and allows them too much power and influence. the Rees-Mogg type people of this world would love it.

I get your point in regards the moral aspect and I agree. But if it generates a massive amount of money to tackle the economic cost of this and would have a minimal impact on the date the rest of us would receive a jab it maybe an acceptable compromise, as ultimately I think everyone will have to chip in to cover the cost regardless of whether a person is rich or poor. Regardless it would be a tough sell.

In all honesty I would rather see them concentrate their efforts on closing down the multitude of "essential" retailers that seem to have sprung up.

It appears that under current rules if you sell toothpaste and loo rolls you can claim to be an essential retailer as well as garden centres and large sheds like B&Q being left open to encourage people to leave their homes. Madness to me .

At least with football there is less likelihood of the virus spreading than there is with the amount of people out for a days "shopping" or should that be out for a nosey around.

Agree with your comments re the so called 'essential retailers' being out of control & should be reviewed but your last paragraph it's not so much the less likelihood of virus spreading it's the resources on testing & medical staff that could be put to far far better use...not to mention the totally mixed messages they send out with their behaviours on the pitch with goal celebrations, the indiscretions on meeting up outside & the privileged 'jolly boys' Dubai trips while whole of country is in effect National Lockdown ( I know it's only 1 club at min but no doubt other teams had plans).
As I said earlier I'm sure Clubs could offer their medical staff, their facilities & their time to helping out with the vaccine roll out...be a good bit of PR rather than their usual self interest & fantasy bubble they live in.

Believe me Kenny the rich will access the vaccine regardless of whether you, me or anyone else kicks up about it, they will find a back door supplier. MiW's point might not suit your views but I would rather the money was put back in the system in the way MiW suggests than line the pockets of some unscrupulous black market crook.