FA Cup - Aston Villa v Liverpool | Page 40 | Vital Football

FA Cup - Aston Villa v Liverpool

The cruel reality is that most of those kids will be the next Daniel Johnson, Robinson, or O'Hare if they are lucky if they are Very Very very good and lucky they might be the next Jack Grealish, Gary Shaw or Sid.
Football is very cruel, to the kids, look at Vasselev out on loan at Burton, nobody even mentions him anymore, not a second thought about the kid

And Vassilev is struggling to get any game time at a club having an awful season in League One.....says it all really.

The reality is that players like O'Hare were badly managed, stayed too long in the U23s without going out on loan. At least now he's playing proper football; 24 games so far this season and 2 goals, in the Championship. He's got a career ahead of him. Daniel Johnson was another; always looked a good player to me yet no chance at Villa, thankfully doing fine at Preston.

Can't believe Vassilev is being written off; he's only 19. He's where you'd expect him to be at his age.

The manner Barry took his goal last night showed sheer class; he'll push on. But maybe not yet. And a word for Rowe for his excellent forward pass. Applaud the team for what they did, don't worry about their future, which is unknown, as it has to be. Last night showed they're being coached in the right direction, which is the main thing.

We really don’t need to be shouting for any of these youngsters as the answer yet either. Read a few post last night naming some of the youngsters as being worthy of a place on the bench ahead of certain first team seasoned pro’s. While I am not a huge fan of certain bench warmers there is a world of difference at the moment.

Must realise that last night, brilliant as it was, was a bit of a freak. If that team went out again tomorrow they could well be tanked by a lot more. Adrenaline, lack of prep time and not having to think about it and the novelty of it would have played a huge part. It’s totally different needing to do that week in week out as a 17 and 18 year old. Even the 20 year olds are wet behind the ears still and they were the defenders who by position probably generally come into first teams later .

Barry is probably the stand out example of one you could put on the bench as he is a striker. To be brought on if we are several goals up and the game is safe. As for the the defenders , you don’t really do that with defenders so they would have to be there as serious back ups and that shouldn’t happen yet on the back of this game. Must remember that the coaches see these players day in day out so if they were truly ready they would have been brought in before last night .

I was scathing about the game going ahead yesterday. For reasons of game integrity and it was just reaffirming my view on where I see the FA cup now. And when i saw the teams I was of the opinion that it could have been a disaster, ruining these kids. It really was a toss of a coin. No one at the club or on here truly knew which way it would go. As it is it turned out, absolutely bloody fantastic and when you think about it , it was absolutely extraordinary that the first half went like that and the score was as it was . 17/18 year olds with no experience playing like that against the champions of England and the world. Wtf !. We even had a load of youngster who were ahead of these that couldnt play. Just seeing some of the team in that photo with the minibus shows how young they are. They look like they are going on a school trip.

In the end from watching behind the sofa I was watching with a smile on my face and laughing out loud when our players were doing pirouettes on the ball in our box. The finish for the goal and build up to it was tremendous the interview by Barry was joyful and the performances by Revan, Rowe and Sylla in particular were extremely good.

Just bloody well done AVFC , did us proud there.
All of the above. Great display with some promise .
Plus Mark Delaney. Hugely impressive.

Why has he earned himself a spot on the bench and not the lads who have been training with the first team who couldn't play last night . Also why not all the lads who played last night don't they all deserve a place on the bench , of course they do but let's be real, most of them will never see the Villa first team, it's the way it is
A classic piece of pessimistic analysis 57 :fish:

We really don’t need to be shouting for any of these youngsters as the answer yet either. Read a few post last night naming some of the youngsters as being worthy of a place on the bench ahead of certain first team seasoned pro’s. While I am not a huge fan of certain bench warmers there is a world of difference at the moment.

Must realise that last night, brilliant as it was, was a bit of a freak. If that team went out again tomorrow they could well be tanked by a lot more. Adrenaline, lack of prep time and not having to think about it and the novelty of it would have played a huge part. It’s totally different needing to do that week in week out as a 17 and 18 year old. Even the 20 year olds are wet behind the ears still and they were the defenders, who by position probably generally come into first teams later .

Barry is probably the stand out example of one you could put on the bench as he is a striker. To be brought on if we are several goals up and the game is safe. As for the the defenders , you don’t really do that with defenders so they would have to be there as serious back ups and that shouldn’t happen yet on the back of this game. Must remember that the coaches see these players day in day out so if they were truly ready they would have been brought in before last night .

I think you have a point about the senior pros, but the PL increased the number of subs up to 9 players so with the best will in the world there must be at least one or two in the match day squad who are just making up the numbers, and at least one of those spots could easily be given to a youngster instead. Would you rather have a 4th choice centre back on the bench or an exciting young striker or midfielder?

I think the reality obviously is that most of the youth players won’t make it at villa, but with the right management perhaps a few more than usual could do. No idea which of the “better players” were missing or how good they are - a few names like Chukwuema, Aaron Ramsey and Bidace I’ve heard of but know little about. Of course for some of them getting them out of the club on loan spells would be even more ideal than time on our bench

It's great that we are attracting some of these kids and I hope the days of Arsenal stealing our best prospects have now gone not that the kid they nicked off us ever made it, did he? can't even remember his name
edit Daniel Crowley no he didn't make it he's actually at Birmingham City :lol::lol:

Crowley made appearances for Aston Villa's under-16s at the age of 12 and the under-21s at 15.[6][7] He was involved in Villa under-19s' victorious 2012–13 NextGen Series campaign, and despite being only 15, was on the bench for the 2–0 win over Chelsea in the final.[8][7] While with Villa, Crowley earned plaudits for his passing ability, with his playing style likened to that of England international Jack Wilshere.[6] Villa academy director Bryan Jones later commented that Crowley was one of the best players to come through the academy during his time at the club, putting him in the same bracket as Jack Grealish, Daniel Sturridge and Gareth Barry.

there you go

Last edited: