Police on police bullying and racism (FAO nobs, partly) | Page 6 | Vital Football

Police on police bullying and racism (FAO nobs, partly)

Five police officers from a “toxic” unit have been sacked over racism, sexism and homophobia.
The Hampshire Constabulary officers were covertly recorded making “shameful” comments about suspects and colleagues.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-officers-racist-hampshire-sacked-b1784351.html

Same story here:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-guilty-of-misconduct-over-offensive-comments

It's from last month, after they'd been found guilty but before they'd been sacked. Much of it is exactly the same but it does contain an interesting quote that the Indy's article doesn't (unless I missed it):

"Lawyers for the men claimed that stress and a heavy workload meant the officers 'forgot to apply the filter' when on duty."

Which seems to suggest that it'd be perfectly acceptable for them to behave in such a manner when they were off duty...

I'm waiting for someone on here to defend them , their "rights" and "civil liberties". "PC gone mad" etc.

Who's first?

It's permissible for police officers, like everyone else, to think whatever they like. In theoretical terms one might imagine an officer, who held extreme racist views, yet did his work in an exemplary manner. The problem comes when individuals signal almost imperceptibly to one another and slowly slip into covert gangs of the likeminded. This can go on in any organisation, or large group and is lethal because outsiders can be unaware of what is beginning to happen. In time, if left unchecked, these inner groups can become big enough to cause real damage.

T believe this process explains why the majority of police officers are able to quite truthfully state that they have not come across racism and extremism in the force. The same applies in the catholic church in relation to paedophilia though more were aware surely, in most political parties where extreme views, bullying, racism and corruption are practised by semi closed groupings.

When people are "caught" as the Hampshire police were it provides an opportunity to investigate further and redouble efforts to eradicate prejudice and malpractice. It's a psychological and public relations blow but it's also a sign that action will be taken against wrongdoers. They will never cease to exist.

Wrong and very stupid behaviour by these cops, I won`t defend it. Officers and staff know the consequences of such ignorant and blameworthy activity. Dumb and wrong.

Also, notwithstanding it`s a lesser concern, pretty naive, as anyone who has served in the police service for a number of years should be only too aware that anything contentious said openly in a police environment or elsewhere, on or off duty, is likely to be reported or secretly recorded and passed to Professional Standards units. A lesser concern, as I said, but, naivety is not a good characteristic for a cop; it will not assist them understanding how criminals think and operate and make them less effective in the fight against crime - which police are losing. Regrettably, being naive won`t make any difference to many cops who are, by necessity, too consumed with carrying out social services and other sundry tasks rather than gaining the sort of experience and learning necessary to get a grip on gloating criminals.

Not about police doing wrong but how on earth is 12 months community service and a £600 fine proportional to doing this to a PC?

https://www.leics.police.uk/news/le...ced-after-officer-suffered-horrific-injuries/
Par for the course mate. I got headbutted in Peckham once (on duty, bit slow giving it the swerve🥴). Lad got nicked, went to court and I was told by the magistrate, after me reading out my impact statement, that "surely you expect to get assaulted in your job".
He gave the lad community service and I walked away with what looked like an egg sticking out of my head 🙄

Par for the course mate. I got headbutted in Peckham once (on duty, bit slow giving it the swerve🥴). Lad got nicked, went to court and I was told by the magistrate, after me reading out my impact statement, that "surely you expect to get assaulted in your job".
He gave the lad community service and I walked away with what looked like an egg sticking out of my head 🙄

Idiot magistrate!

Should've given the lad a bit of 'heavy handedness' in the back of the Black Maria :whistle:

Last edited:
So I've heard. Thought this one was particularly brutal.

What do they actually do on community service? Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about the 'butt on your bonce, nobs.

That seems, on the face of it, rather a brusque comment from the magistrate and unless your impact statement had been well OTT I can't really understand why the magistrate would say that to you.

Although in an ideal world* you shouldn't expect to be assaulted doing your job, in the real world shirley that is something police officers must expect? In order to be better prepared to their job, if nothing else. Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not advocating assaulting police officers. I'm merely suggesting that since your job involves dealing with criminals then the threat of being assaulted must be one of the risks that comes with the job. Maybe this is what the magistrate was getting at. Can't imagine that it made your head feel any better though, and as I said above, it seems like an unnecessary comment even if there might have been some truth in it.

It also made me think of that old recruitment poster I asked you for a while back which includes the line:

"You must expect a hostile reception from all sections of the public and be prepared to be assaulted, stoned or stabbed in the course of your duty."

Things have changed a bit since then. Most of the public support the police and view them as an essential part of the community. But perhaps the expecting/prepared to be assaulted does still pertain...

* I'd argue though, of course, that in an ideal world there would be no necessity for any police anyway; so what would and wouldn't be expected whilst doing the job is a moot point!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the 'butt on your bonce, nobs.

That seems, on the face of it, rather a brusque comment from the magistrate and unless your impact statement had been well OTT I can't really understand why the magistrate would say that to you.

Although in an ideal world* you shouldn't expect to be assaulted doing your job, in the real world shirley that is something police officers must expect? In order to be better prepared to their job, if nothing else. Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not advocating assaulting police officers. I'm merely suggesting that since your job involves dealing with criminals then the threat of being assaulted must be one of the risks that comes with the job. Maybe this is what the magistrate was getting at. Can't imagine that it made your head feel any better though, and as I said above, it seems like an unnecessary comment even if there might have been some truth in it.

It also made me think of that old recruitment poster I asked you for a while back which includes the line:

"You must expect a hostile reception from all sections of the public and be prepared to be assaulted, stoned or stabbed in the course of your duty."

Things have changed a bit since then. Most of the public support the police and view them as an essential part of the community. But the bit about being

* I'd argue though, of course, that in an ideal world there would be no necessity for any police anyway; so what would and wouldn't be expected whilst doing the job is a moot point!
You're dead right although i would say "be prepared to be assaulted" rather than "expect".
As I said, partly my own fault, took my eye off the ball a bit. Schoolboy error, lesson learned 😔

You're dead right although i would say "be prepared to be assaulted" rather than "expect".
As I said, partly my own fault, took my eye off the ball a bit. Schoolboy error, lesson learned 😔
The fact that anyone thinks it is or should or might be expected is the problem.
As a lad we were taught to respect the police, if the local bobby told me off, I wouldn't dare tell my dad, he would side with the bobby every time and give me a spanking and ground me until I apologized.

Home office figures show that there were 16 deaths in police custody in 2018/19,
15 of those deaths were white, 1 was black.

Home office figures show that there were 16 deaths in police custody in 2018/19,
15 of those deaths were white, 1 was black.

What's your point?

Between 2008/09 and 2018/19, 85 percent of deaths in police custody in England and Wales were white people, who make up 86 percent of the UK population. In the same time period, black people accounted for eight percent of the UK deaths in police custody, while only making up three percent of the total population.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122775/deaths-in-police-custody-in-the-uk-2019-by-ethnicity/

South Wales police brutally beat Mohamud Hassan on the 8th January 2021. He was tazered twice, bitten by police officers, had his head kicked, had several bones dislocated and was visibly bloodied when taken into custody.

He received no medical attention.

He was released the next day at 11am without charge of a crime. He went home instead of getting immediate medical treatment because he was tired. By 5pm he was dead.

He told a friend, "Look fam, the police have beat the shit out of me."

BBC report here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55611642

People have been protesting:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55647699

Welsh government have urged people not to protest because of covid but police nervous to enforce covid restriction because they know that they have blood on their hands if they are, " too heavy handed over Covid rules during a protest against alleged police action the situation could escalate quickly."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55659518

Last edited: