#COVID19 | Page 717 | Vital Football

#COVID19

No. They are clearly not a one-issue party and have shown reasonable competence in government. That could be maintained with or without the separation they crave and that brexit has made possible / likely.

Competence in governance is highly subjective.

Having the worst drug related deaths in Europe, the lowest life expectancy in Western Europe and requiring handouts from Westminster to prop up the spending, may be arguments against how competent they are.

Competence in governance is highly subjective.

Having the worst drug related deaths in Europe, the lowest life expectancy in Western Europe and requiring handouts from Westminster to prop up the spending, may be arguments against how competent they are.
I'm not a particular fan but that is a weak argument.

They are clearly a credible option for the people of Scotland and not the one-issue party you pretended they were. They got voted in again after losing the referendum.

I'm not a particular fan but that is a weak argument.

They are clearly a credible option for the people of Scotland and not the one-issue party you pretended they were. They got voted in again after losing the referendum.

The No1 duty of a government is to protect its citizens, the SNP have spectacularly failed on both points I raise.
All nationalist parties are good at selling themselves, history has taught us this. They are failing in many aspects of governance, but the tub-thumping nationalist rhetoric strikes a note with a large number of the electorate.

Despite Brexit, the UK has vaccinated more citizens than all the EU countries combined.

I expected more praise for the government on here.

Written without a hint of irony!
Ahh but you forget English tub thumping nationalist rhetoric is justified because we are the best and brightest this world has to offer.
Scots are stupid and ginger so they can fuck off.

On another note, my housemate just got a positive test back, and we've both been ill for the last couple of days which is absolutely terrifying given my serious health conditions. I may be stuck in hospital for some weeks.

I said:
A one-issue party where the one issue has been done?
Dumb.

You said:
Yep.
The SNP have a similar lifespan for similar reasons.

Which is wrong.
The SNP had their shot at independence and failed. Yet, contrary to your suggestion, their lifespan was not cut short by that failure.
If they have another shot at independence (thanks entirely to Cameron, (May,) and Johnson) then I doubt very much that they will be finished by that either. First, because polling in favour of independence is running at about 58%. Second, because they have been governing for quite a while on all the issues (some better than others of course), and a sufficient number of Scots are generally in favour of the job they are doing.

You might think Sturgeon is a nasty little separatist Krankie lookalike who knew too much and did too little over the Salmond scandal, however, that doesn't mean the SNP are an incompetent one-issue party.
Nor does your suggestion that keeping the citizens of the nation safe is a pre-requisite for anything which would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Yes, I'm delighted that we have vaccinated a million people.
That we are ahead of other European nations does not fill me with pleasure or pride, it fills me with sadness for them. In any case you may well be jumping to conclusions about the correct strategy. They may have got far better prices and distribution deals negotiating as part of the EU bloc. In any case, while individual sovereign nations may have chosen to show unity, their health systems could have acted independently.
I recognise, and take some pride that the UK (and somewhere I used to work specifically), is a scientific powerhouse that was able to contribute to the development and evaluation of one of the first vaccine alternatives. I also recognise that it was an international collaboration, built on years of international collaborations, that have in many cases been enabled and 'turbocharged' by cooperation under EU frameworks and by freedom of movement. The reputations, facilities, investments, and so on didn't appear out of nowhere because we're British. I expect more or less every person that worked on the vaccine, that ran the facilites, that funded those institutions, and that conducted the evaluations in such terrific time were fully against brexit because of the damage they know has been and will be done to their industry.

The jingoistic bollocks you peddle, alongside the convenience of comparing with other nations sometimes, but not other times, so as to fit your agenda about Brexit, just gets on my tits.

Ahh but you forget English tub thumping nationalist rhetoric is justified because we are the best and brightest this world has to offer.

On another note, my housemate just got a positive test back, and we've both been ill for the last couple of days which is absolutely terrifying given my serious health conditions. I may be stuck in hospital for some weeks.
Sorry to hear that. Take care and keep us posted if you're happy to share.

Sorry to hear that. Take care and keep us posted if you're happy to share.
Of course. I'll have nowt else to do if i'm stuck in hospital haha.
Problem is, I have to have dialysis in the renal unit 3 times per week so I'm absolutely shit scared of passing it on to the elderly, vulnerable patients here while they wait for my test results (they won't move me to isolation until they have a positive result, which is taking longer than usual, given that I was tested on Sunday).
I mean they put me in a room on my own but I still have to use the same scales etc. and obs equipment as everyone else.

The jingoistic bollocks you peddle, alongside the convenience of comparing with other nations sometimes, but not other times, so as to fit your agenda about Brexit, just gets on my tits.

Jingoistic? I'm not an extreme patriot, I have pride in our country and I'm not about to pretend I don't.

I find it sad that citizens of the UK cannot bring themselves to acknowledge successes made by their own country, because of a deep-set, dogmatic, tribalistic political viewpoint.

A better response to the fact about the speed of the UKs procurement and rollout would have been something along the lines of, 'Yes we should all be happy that we have majored in this aspect of the Pandemic', rather than brushing any praise off as jingoism.

Many on here were (rightly) frothing at the mouths in March last year, talking down the government's response to this, lavishing some praise when it is due, ergo is the correct thing to do, even if it is through gritted teeth.

I think you'll find the hatred by the Scots (nats) towards the English is far, far greater than the other way around.

Anyway this is small beer in comparison, I hope you are through this swiftly.

I said:

You said:

Which is wrong.
The SNP had their shot at independence and failed. Yet, contrary to your suggestion, their lifespan was not cut short by that failure.

Surely the lifespan of a one policy party is cut short by success rather than failure ? UKIP/Brexit Party seem to have little to aim for. SNP have had more success in widening their policies, but can still thrive on the Independence ticket. If they got independence they would be judged on economics, education, health etc.

Thinking about you!

Surely the lifespan of a one policy party is cut short by success rather than failure ? UKIP/Brexit Party seem to have little to aim for. SNP have had more success in widening their policies, but can still thrive on the Independence ticket. If they got independence they would be judged on economics, education, health etc.

As far as the many are concerned Scottish nationalism=good, English Nationalism=bad.

As far as the many are concerned Scottish nationalism=good, English Nationalism=bad.

Also ties into the logic failure that Brexit is bad, so the Scots should be independent . Freedom from England, who they have far more trading deals with, exchanged for a hard border, the Euro, loss of fishing rights, loss of £14k per person subsidy etc

You're both wrong. Again.
I don't think Scottish nationalism is good, I don't want Scotland to be independent, and I don't think it would be very good for Scotland either.

Right. So the SNP are not a one-issue party then?

The SNP got 50% of the Scottish popular vote at the general election immediately after losing their referendum 55%-45%.
Clearly - and I mean very clearly - not a one issue party in the eyes of Scots.

The rest, we are both speculating on. You seem to think that if/when they win independence, their 'single' issue will be over and done with and they will fade into obscurity. You might be right but, personally, I doubt that since many scots vote for them despite not even wanting independence.
On top of that, they will be riding the crest of a wave, having already moved on from defeat in 2014 to build support for leaving from 45% to 58%, according to polling in December. Only time will tell.