Aston Villa away to Man Utd New Years Day | Page 48 | Vital Football

Aston Villa away to Man Utd New Years Day

We can go on about the penalty all day long, for what it’s work my view is that Luiz made it too easy for them to give it. My first impression albeit on a TV like all of us was “penalty” and there aren’t all the angles to disprove the original decision which I believe is the purpose of VAR.

The reality is that was never going to be overturned being at OT for the home team, and on the flip side I would’ve been fuming if that was jack in their box and it was overturned for us.

But I’m with melon, it is what it is, we need to learn the lesson - do not get into a leg tangling contest in your own box. Don’t make it easy for refs and give smart players like pogba the chance to go down like that.

Last edited:
We can on about the penalty all day long, for what it’s work my view is that Luiz made it too easy for them to give it. My first impression albeit on a TV like all of us was “penalty” and there aren’t all the angles to disprove the original decision which I believe is the purpose of VAR.

The reality is that was never going to be overturned being at OT for the home team, and on the flip side I would’ve been fuming if that was jack in their box and it was overturned for us.

But I’m with melon, it is what it is, we need to learn the lesson - do not get into a leg tangling contest in your own box. Don’t make it easy for refs and give smart players like pogba the chance to go down like that.

To me, it wasn't a penalty but that's with my Villa glasses on, in reality, it was no different to the one Jack got at the Whorethorns.
Until refs stop giving them the players will continue to fall

Let me get this right... Our coaches should tell our defenders not to get tight to attacking players in the box? So just give Pogba a meter or two of space with which to dribble across and shoot in our box?

It's a dive by that filthy t**t Pogba and a yellow card for simulation. Jack Grealish went down in the box against Palace before setting Lansbury up with a goal last season and got a booking for simulation.

Bailly put a two footed challenge in on Grealish while on a yellow early in the second half and played the whole game. Fernandez fouled Traore three times within five minutes in the second half and got away without a single booking. Man Utd had 22 fouls not including the ones that Oliver decided not to blow up for, had four yellow cards, yet somehow they leave the game with a penalty scored gifting them three points and, miraculously, ten men.

We should have been more clinical. We didn't do enough in an attacking sense to win the game. But leaving without a point is infuriating, as we were the marginally better side in an evenly contested game. I'm furious that there isnt more on an uproar and inquest from (a) the general public and (b) the administrative footballing bodies on why there is an obvious bias towards Man Utd winning penalties illegally to keep them competitive with the top of the league. The statistics are ridiculous.

Sucked into what?? Pogba fell over his own feet ffs. You've got to put some pressure on a player in your own box, if he hadn't and Pogba had created or scored he'd get slaughtered for not closing down. Anyone who thinks that's a penalty even in this day and age is either a utd fan, a corrupt VAR twat or just mad. The gangly French twat literally accidentally clips his own bloody leg. Unreal.

It's all very well saying we should move on now but the problem is United will move on to the next game and employ the same cheating tactics to gain a penalty so serial cheat Bruno can probably make it 34 in 60 games.

I don't think it was even accidental from Pogba as he clipped his own leg to go down.

What's frustrating is the only way to stop these serial cheats is better refereeing and Var to actually do the job it was brought in for but with the shocking standard of referees in England we know that's not going to happen.

The media love in for OGS is unbearable. Talking about amazing 'progress' under him when in reality he has spent an enormous amount and will yet again not deliver this season.

Hardly a word on what Smith has achieved here. Yet when Leeds get fucking obliterated 6-2 Bielsa is lauded for revolutionising football. What a joke.

We’re not where we want to be yet but I’m happy where we are now. We gave them a good game and penalty apart, we couldn’t complain about the scoreline. They’ve started to play well and I hate to say it because he’s so unpredictable, (and unlikeable) Pogba caused us problems throughout. We are uncomfortable playing out from the back, make one or two short passes around Martinez then usually Mings hoofs it down the left wing. United were more fluent playing out of trouble. We’ve made massive strides this season but if our team building is right we’ll be top four in two years time max. The problem is we only have eleven (possibly fewer) who have to play at maximum to beat these sorts of teams. We need two or three more with the class of Jack, John, Doug, Emi, Ollie, Matt and Ezri to give us more quality all over the pitch. Barkley’s playing time is a big disappointment to date. I hope our buying director is putting possibilities like Buendia forward.

On a positive note and putting to one side the result, It does show how much the team has improved to the extent that we are desperately disappointed that we didn't get something out of the game last night.

The problem is it's genreally the same starting each game so we do need to bring in some players that can change games either from the bench or on the pitch and at the moment we have no one on the bench that can do that.

Sucked into what?? Pogba fell over his own feet ffs. You've got to put some pressure on a player in your own box, if he hadn't and Pogba had created or scored he'd get slaughtered for not closing down. Anyone who thinks that's a penalty even in this day and age is either a utd fan, a corrupt VAR twat or just mad. The gangly French twat literally accidentally clips his own bloody leg. Unreal.
Make no mistake there was nothing accidental about it, players are too clever to just throw themselves to the floor so they do stuff like this to make their dive look more realistic. To trip yourself up like that they must practice on the training ground for hours because it’s hard wired into people not to kick themselves over deliberately or accidentally

Last edited:
Frustrating as we got a 2-2 here last season, I know we haven't but in this little microcosm it feels like a backwards step.
It never felt comfortable last night , 90 seconds in Martinez is beating away a Martial effort from inside the box.

It's all very well saying we should move on now but the problem is United will move on to the next game and employ the same cheating tactics to gain a penalty so serial cheat Bruno can probably make it 34 in 60 games.

I don't think it was even accidental from Pogba as he clipped his own leg to go down.

What's frustrating is the only way to stop these serial cheats is better refereeing and Var to actually do the job it was brought in for but with the shocking standard of referees in England we know that's not going to happen.
I can get why the ref gave it initially (although he should be aware at the frequency they throw themselves to the floor in the box) but VAR should have overturned it and said there’s no clear contact - or for the ref to review it on the pitch side monitor. That was less of a pen then Trezeguet or a Grealish one last season which were overturned, funny how they only bother with certain teams isn’t it.

We looked far more likely to win than Wolves did last week against them but we both lose.
We've almost but not quite gone toe to toe with these on the balance of play over 90 mins we can't complain.
One thing that concerns me is Watkins, I can see the confidence ebbing away

I have a work colleague who is a staunch Yanited fan and he text me to say that it was unjust and draw would have been a fair result. He was very complimentary about how we played and the progress made.
We have some tough games coming up with Spurs, Everton and Man City but if we play like we did last night and against Chelsea, we can take points off them and hopefully make some inroads to the top 6. We need another unbeaten run and a couple of players coming in this month. The owners must be able to see that getting in Europe this year is within touching distance and a little more investment might get us over the line.

Frustrating as we got a 2-2 here last season, I know we haven't but in this little microcosm it feels like a backwards step.
It never felt comfortable last night , 90 seconds in Martinez is beating away a Martial effort from inside the box.

So we lost to Liverpool twice last season and beat them 7-2 this season.

By your reckoning that must represent massive, humungous , gigantic strides forward.

We looked far more likely to win than Wolves did last week against them but we both lose.
We've almost but not quite gone toe to toe with these on the balance of play over 90 mins we can't complain.
One thing that concerns me is Watkins, I can see the confidence ebbing away
We played very well and matched them for the vast majority of the game. We just lacked a bit of quality in key moments. The gap between the two sides certainly wasn't that of a champions league outfit and a team who survived with one of the lowest ever points totals.

We didn't look too far way from them it has to be said. It has been a great season so far in my book.

You all have to remember that if you are playing one of the Sky Six and you sneer at one of their players you'll at least get a yellow and more likely a red for violent play. It's always been the same and I know a lot of us thought the dodgy decisions would be overturned when VAR was introduced but, the officials are obviously under orders.