Aston Villa away to Man Utd New Years Day | Page 47 | Vital Football

Aston Villa away to Man Utd New Years Day

err... ok.

Think Tom is more than entitled to his opinion as well. It was a soft pen, but of course it will be given there, always is. Get it?
I absolutely get it and of course he is entitled to his opinion but the fact that it was given as a penalty doesn't make it right does it? I am sick of their penalties, I was sick of going up there donkeys years ago watching their antics in attempts to get penalties. I don't want to cross any boundaries but I am adamant that it was not a penalty, except of course if you are at home in the theatre of delusions.

Of course you don’t. You’re angry and looking at it with your Villa glasses on. I also don’t think it’s a penalty but I’m just trying to weigh things up, we have a player that goes down easily quite often and now we’re moaning when others do it? Can’t have it both ways.
Obviously you are referring to SJG. I prefer to look at it another way. SJG goes down 'easily' as you put it because he rides the incoming persistent fouls. If he didn't he'd be injured most of his career. United on the other hand have a long history of collectively falling all over the place to influence the referee, sadly with a great degree of success. I could elaborate but suffice to say, I very much doubt that if the roles were reversed, Villa would have got a penalty.

Starting to get a bit angry about the Ollie bashing.

Best striker we've had in a long long time.

All strikers go through baron spells. He was absolutely brilliant on boxing day and since then has faced Chelsea and Man United. Not many strikers outside the top 6 are gonna come away from those 2 games with a hat full of goals.

Give the guy a break.
Bang on - absolutely bang on.

We also need an afternoon working on free kicks and corners in training. What was Bert trying in the first half with that free kick? I do like a well worked free kick / corner routine (eg trez vs arsenal last season, Jack vs derby 3 seasons ago/ burton this season) but we seem to be just floating them in... I don't think the ball would get to Mings standing on the line behind the keeper. ...

But, plus point- 15 games in and we still haven't conceded in the last 15 mins of a game....

Without Houirhane the deliveries are a completely mixed bag. We chop and change who's taking them every other week too which I don't think helps. We don't know what we're going to get when someone steps up never mind the players. Grealish, Cash, Targett, McGinn, and Traore have all had an attempt at least one corner each in the last 5 games.

Traore is the biggest culprit for taking 'modern corners' - can't clear the first man. McGinn, Cash and Targett taking deep freekicks seem to under-hit them.

Good service invites anticipation and knowledge that the ball is going somewhere reasonably specific. Ashley Young combined with Martin Laursen was devastating. You had incredible delivery paired with an even better attacking header.

Not really sure what the hell is the matter with him, would be nice for Smith to tell us, rather than saying he's near. I really can't see the sense in buying him not knowing if he will be fit or not.
Perhaps they are trying to con chelski into lowering the price on the basis that he is always injured, which isn't far from the truth really

Starting to get a bit angry about the Ollie bashing.

Best striker we've had in a long long time.

All strikers go through baron spells. He was absolutely brilliant on boxing day and since then has faced Chelsea and Man United. Not many strikers outside the top 6 are gonna come away from those 2 games with a hat full of goals.

Give the guy a break.
Remember when Venables was manager of England leading up to the Euro's and there was a full on campaign for Tel to drop Shearer because he had gone I 11 or 13 something like that games for England without scoring I think the fucking Sun front paged it.But the real brains of the show Tel knew better and we had a fantastic Euro's should have won it and guess what Shearer won the Golden Boot.

Obviously you are referring to SJG. I prefer to look at it another way. SJG goes down 'easily' as you put it because he rides the incoming persistent fouls. If he didn't he'd be injured most of his career. United on the other hand have a long history of collectively falling all over the place to influence the referee, sadly with a great degree of success. I could elaborate but suffice to say, I very much doubt that if the roles were reversed, Villa would have got a penalty.

Come on, Jack goes down easily and you know it. He wins the team lots of set pieces and it annoys oppositions fans so I don’t mind it but I’m not gonna sit here and moan about Pogba doing the same thing. What about the one the other day against Chelsea where he purposely sticks his leg out? That if anything was a foul on the Chelsea player but we went on to score. Like I said, swings and roundabouts.

Dirty cheat Pogba caught telling the United player Shaw to dive......What a surprise.

I said a month or so ago I wouldn't be surprised if they practice cheating to win penalties because they, unfortunately, have the biggest cheat in English football who takes the penalty kicks and never misses.

33 pens in 59 games aren't just some sort of fluke but of course, to the Red Scum, it's all a laugh.

Last edited:
From "The Times" this morning...

Make no mistake, Villa are not just an intermittent threat, relying on flashes of Jack Grealish’s class. Dean Smith’s transformed side are a sustained menace to opponents and United were under huge pressure, particularly late on.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ve-premier-league-title-credentials-zz6j5b9bq

It was a disappointing result. A draw would have been fairer. But we're better than we used to be.

I've watched every game this season and it's only this game he has bothered with these back heels, I didn't like them half the time If I'm honest just too risky, do it when you're winning the match and can afford to be a bit cocky.

I’m Douglas Luiz’ biggest fan behind @sirdennis, and yes I thought there was an element of over confidence or dare I say it A showing off from Luiz.

He’s only 22, and in recent games I think he’s been one of the most mature players on the pitch. To have his brain at that age is incredible. But yesterday I agree he was over trying for whatever reason with being too tight on Pogba and the flicks, that it made him look not so good and more importantly, cost us the game.

It’s a learning curve but in central midfield you are sometimes better keeping it simple when it’s so congested.

Remember when Venables was manager of England leading up to the Euro's and there was a full on campaign for Tel to drop Shearer because he had gone I 11 or 13 something like that games for England without scoring I think the fucking Sun front paged it.But the real brains of the show Tel knew better and we had a fantastic Euro's should have won it and guess what Shearer won the Golden Boot.

What a striker Shearer was.

He would have scored those 2 Watkins headers and the Mings one.

Most difficult position to fill , the striker one but so often the difference between average and good and good and excellent.

Ok but Pogba‘s foot comes off the back of Luiz’ leg just before that picture

Absolutely.
Need to suck this one up. If that was our player we would be screaming penalty.
Shit defending from Luiz . Too tight as stated by Smith. We all know now the implications nowadays of players being touched and the players need to know this and adapt. No player, least of all our own SJ doesn’t go down at the mere brush of a shirt.
I’m not even angry at this last night. It Is part of the game. We have benefited before and will again.

More concerned about 2 poor goals we gave away.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments about United and Pogba tbh (and don’t really agree about Grealish as such.... plenty examples where he doesn’t go down such as when he got a nudge on his storming run through on goal (forget was it v Chelsea or palace). If we had Pogba he would surely be encouraging a dive there (as seen in that video with Luke Shaw).

I’m not saying none of our players have ever dived. It’s an annoying part of the game for sure. But United get away with it a lot more than anyone else does unfortunately.

Anyway the point I want to make is that we already know this about United (and we also know that anything dubious VAR will certainly be automatically given theway).

We just need to put it behind us, because the only way to beat the smarmy bastardos is to concentrate on ourselves and continue to improve and everything so far this season suggests that it’s happening.... from the players to the coaches and importantly - the board.

if we had take our chances, it could have been different.

Onto Liverpool.....