Teams in the wrong leagues | Vital Football

Teams in the wrong leagues

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
A bit of New Year's Day whimsy. I know that with the pyramid system every team has the chance to proceed on merit but I have been looking at the tables and reckon a number are in leagues that are not their natural or historical habitat :

Should be in Championship
Palace; Fulham; Sheffield United; Burnley; Brighton; Portsmouth; Hull; Sunderland; Bolton

Should be in PL
Blackburn; Middlesborough; Watford

Should be in L1

Brentford; Bournemouth; Wycombe

Haven't looked at non league yet except Hartlepool should be L2

A lot depends on how “historical” you want to be.

I formed my big club little club biases in the late 60’s and 70’s.

So Watford and Blackburn aren’t top flight to me.
Derby should be. And maybe Sheff Wed and Forest.

Place, Brighton, Fulham and West Brom would drop out of the top flight in my incorrect view of the pyramid.

Also, in my incorrect view of the world, most of Div2 shouldn’t be there. Nearly all of them were non-league in my formative years, and back then you stood little chance of cracking into the top 4 divisions.

PNE, Blackburn Rovers, Carlisle, York City, Burnley, Bolton, Bury, Morcambe, Barrow, Oldham & Huddersfield should all be in L1 :car:

A bit of New Year's Day whimsy. I know that with the pyramid system every team has the chance to proceed on merit but I have been looking at the tables and reckon a number are in leagues that are not their natural or historical habitat :

Should be in Championship
Palace; Fulham; Sheffield United; Burnley; Brighton; Portsmouth; Hull; Sunderland; Bolton

Should be in PL
Blackburn; Middlesborough; Watford

Should be in L1

Brentford; Bournemouth; Wycombe

Haven't looked at non league yet except Hartlepool should be L2
Past performance is no guarantee, etc so.....

Based on population and spectator potential - with competitive local rivals (or lack of):

Hull should be top tier - along with Gills,;) - and maybe Reading.

Blackburn, Watford, Burnley, Fulham, should be lower than PL.

I disagree with the whole debate .Teams get relegated because they finish near or at the bottom and get promoted because they are at the top therefore there is no team in the wrong league with the possible exception of Tranmere rovers and Wimbledon who did get a very debatable decision last season.

I disagree with the whole debate .Teams get relegated because they finish near or at the bottom and get promoted because they are at the top therefore there is no team in the wrong league with the possible exception of Tranmere rovers and Wimbledon who did get a very debatable decision last season.
Missing the whole point as usual. It's not a debate it's a bit of new year whimsy as I thought was made clear in the opening post. Anyway there is no obligation to join in the "debate".

Last edited:
There are a number of badly missed teams currently in NL:

Torquay; Hartlepool; Stockport; Notts C ; Halifax; Aldershot; Chesterfield. Everyone of which have happy memories associated with them for Gills supporters.

One other comment. MKD should definitely be in tier 7 (not talking Covid tiers!)

There are a number of badly missed teams currently in NL:

Torquay; Hartlepool; Stockport; Notts C ; Halifax; Aldershot; Chesterfield. Everyone of which have happy memories associated with them for Gills supporters.

One other comment. MKD should definitely be in tier 7 (not talking Covid tiers!)
On the basis it is a bit of fun Aldershot are and always will be a local park team.Hartlepool should apply to the Scottish league as they like Barrow are too far north to travel for such a S#/+ team.Stockport well least said the better .Halifax were even $#/+ier than us when we were $#/+.That leaves Chesterfield and Notts County.

Whichever Div we are in it should include: Charlton, Millwall, Brentford, Fulham, Watford, Southend, Wimbledon and of course Swindon.

If we have to travel North: Ipswich, Norwich, Walsall, PNE.

Accrington sitting just outside the play offs with 2 or 3 games in hand, amuse me. They are punching 2 leagues above where they should be (in my head). Yet Sunderland are a 3 places below them with a couple of games in hand and (in my head again) I love the idea that they are totally embarrassed to be in lowly League 1.
Fun post Phil!

Whichever Div we are in it should include: Charlton, Millwall, Brentford, Fulham, Watford, Southend, Wimbledon and of course Swindon.

If we have to travel North: Ipswich, Norwich, Walsall, PNE.

But RotherhamGill, I can`t see the benefit of having all those fancy-Dan London teams in our division..... ... ooooops, aaagh, now I get it....