Arise Sir Jimmy | Vital Football

Arise Sir Jimmy

jogills

Vital Football Hero
Barely credible that we have waited so long to honour Jimmy Greaves and Ron Flowers and then gave them the most basic award. They both deserved better than this and Greaves in particular is surely a knight of the realm to any fans who saw him play. Seriously good, genuinely world class and an entertainer to his bootstraps. He struggled to replace football as many have but won his battle with alcoholism without ever becoming an evangelist for sobriety. Arise Sir Jimmy

Back in the day he was a customer of mine when I was a 22 year old sales rep. He had a business called Trio Packaging in Romford. A nicer man you couldn't meet. No airs or graces, a genuinely great bloke. Recognition is well overdue!

Lost a few of the 11 England world cup winners from 1966. I believe there are four left now Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton who have knighthoods and George Cohen and Roger Hunt who do not.

Sporting honours are sprinkled around like confetti sometimes with some sports getting lots and others overlooked.

For instance as a snooker fan i believe Steve Davis should get a knighthood, having helped popularise the sport into one of the most popular tv sports. Also won 6 world titles (and was one ball away from winning 7). Yet one olympic gold medal often trumps this achievement. Often no logic for it.

So Jimmy Greaves, who has been a legend for 50 years gets the most basic of awards, while the multi millionaire Lewis Hamilton who's turned his back on this country to be a tax exile in Monaco, gets to become a sir (top award). Jimmy had to sell his World Cup medal a few years back as he needed the money.

Surely Hamilton, who wins regularly because he has the best car according to other F1 drivers, could afford to pay a little tax to us out of his £285 million worth!

I don't believe anyone should be honoured for just being very good at their job. The way the honours are dished out it diminishes their perceived value, by all means honour emergency service personnel who go beyond the call of duty, but Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray Mick Jagger even the actors and actresses with gong etc. have been awarded for carrying out a frivolous task and representing their country is a mere incidental. I have watched Jimmy Greaves play a number of times and by todays standards deserves a knighthood, for the things he achieved on and off the pitch.

I don't believe anyone should be honoured for just being very good at their job. The way the honours are dished out it diminishes their perceived value, by all means honour emergency service personnel who go beyond the call of duty, but Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray Mick Jagger even the actors and actresses with gong etc. have been awarded for carrying out a frivolous task and representing their country is a mere incidental. I have watched Jimmy Greaves play a number of times and by todays standards deserves a knighthood, for the things he achieved on and off the pitch.

The gong-giving-gang encourage nominations from the real world, like Doctors, Nurses, and sometimes footballers of pensionable age etc., purely in order to keep the screen sufficiently opaque. The screen that separates the patronised from those waiting in the real queue to be "rewarded" for their payment, acquiescence or whatever kind of morally corrupt back-scratching has been necessary to keep greedy political hypocrites in power.

Just to remove any doubt, I don`t agree with it ! :wagging:

So Jimmy Greaves, who has been a legend for 50 years gets the most basic of awards, while the multi millionaire Lewis Hamilton who's turned his back on this country to be a tax exile in Monaco, gets to become a sir (top award). Jimmy had to sell his World Cup medal a few years back as he needed the money.

Surely Hamilton, who wins regularly because he has the best car according to other F1 drivers, could afford to pay a little tax to us out of his £285 million worth!

look I know a lot of people don’t like Hamilton and will point at the fact that he has the best car (true) however what an awful lot of people fail to see is that Mercedes has two cars in F1 and only once has the other car in a season (7 seasons I believe) managed to beat Hamilton with the same tools at their disposal.

I believe Hamilton will have to be in the ground before people give him the recognition he deserves.

sure we would all like him to pay more tax (the same as we would all like the opportunity to pay less tax) but no one should ignore what he has achieved and what his father did (7 Jobs) to fund his son towards sponsorship And F1 championships.

I do not begrudge the man who is proud to be British and does an awful lot to promote the UK

put myself in a position to be shot down but that’s how I see it.

look I know a lot of people don’t like Hamilton and will point at the fact that he has the best car (true) however what an awful lot of people fail to see is that Mercedes has two cars in F1 and only once has the other car in a season (7 seasons I believe) managed to beat Hamilton with the same tools at their disposal.

I believe Hamilton will have to be in the ground before people give him the recognition he deserves.

sure we would all like him to pay more tax (the same as we would all like the opportunity to pay less tax) but no one should ignore what he has achieved and what his father did (7 Jobs) to fund his son towards sponsorship And F1 championships.

I do not begrudge the man who is proud to be British and does an awful lot to promote the UK

put myself in a position to be shot down but that’s how I see it.

Spot on. Hamilton is one of the greatest ever drivers no matter what people think of him.

Greavsie is imo the greatest ever goalscorer and deserves a knighthood unless there is a limit on the number that can be awarded lol.

Knighthoods should purely and simply be given to those who deserve it - like England caps (Steve Bruce) maybe a panel of “Normal People” should make the decisions. Although I believe you have to be nominated from several channels to hit the list not totally sure on the process but I am sure there is someone on here does