Stamps - n/g | Vital Football

Stamps - n/g

‘You can buy two sets stamps - first class at x pence and second class at y pence. We’ll then make a convoluted pricing system using many prices based on different sizes and weights. None of which add up exactly to adding a few stamps together, so you end up paying more than the postage.’

‘You can buy two sets stamps - first class at x pence and second class at y pence. We’ll then make a convoluted pricing system using many prices based on different sizes and weights. None of which add up exactly to adding a few stamps together, so you end up paying more than the postage.’
No that is wrong.

If the item costs £1 i give them one second class stamp and make up the difference with cash or card. for £2 i gice them 3 2nds and a few pence and so on.

Make sure all stamps you buy have 1st or 2nd on them NOT the monetary value.

Never waste stamps by using more than you need. Why oveprpay?

You got me all excited wxgill. I used to collect stamps (yes, geeky, I know) and thought for the first time ever I might have some idea about your topic and be able to help.

Collected every issue of QE2 stamps, mint, franked and first day covers. Finally gave up about 10 years ago as they took the piss bringing out fresh issues every few weeks to milk mugs like me. Originally they only brought out new issues for really special occasions, ie years apart. Interestingly it was Tony Benn as Postmaster General in the early sixties who came up with the money making idea.

There, I feel better now even though nobody wanted to know this information.

You are correct to say that you can stick aseveral stamps on an envelope to make up the total price. However you will probably find that uch an item will take longer to arrive than one bearing a single stamp for the correct amount.
TRhe multi stamp items are often thrown out by the post office computer, as potential understamped items.

I never used 1st - waste of time. I got a xmas card today posted 21st 1st class!
they have a severe staffing problem at the moment .second the last posting date was missed. saturday deliveries are cancelled in a lot of areas. plus friday and monday were days off for them.

I never used 1st - waste of time. I got a xmas card today posted 21st 1st class!

The manager at our local post office years ago told me there was no point using first class stamps after the middle of december as all the post just gets thrown in together for delivery!

Collected every issue of QE2 stamps, mint, franked and first day covers.

My mum too used to religiously collect the first day covers until my uncle (bit of an expert) pointed out that so many people were buying them as an investment that the supply means they would be worthless unless they were "damaged at the printers" and therefore were truely unique.

Also, even if you have a 40 year old 1st class stamp, it can be used today. Stamps marked 1st or 2nd class never go out of date.

I have ten Hitler Heads that dad picked up cheap in Kiel just after they decided they didn’t need them anymore. Sadly, all stuck together just as he chucked them in the album when he got home.

I am in favour of one class of post only.

Think it would be better than having to separate the two out, leave one lot behind even they are going to that address anyway and then having to deliver the second class post another time returning to the adress they have already been to!

I am in favour of one class of post only.

Think it would be better than having to separate the two out, leave one lot behind even they are going to that address anyway and then having to deliver the second class post another time returning to the adress they have already been to!

Nice post, Mick.