Fleetwood (A) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Fleetwood (A)

Hoofing the ball up the pitch is on instruction of manager and not the fault of the players !
!

I'm not convinced Degsy, I think it's the easy option for players short on confidence and ability. I also think a passing game only works when players "show" for the short ball and again, players short on confidence don't tend to want to do that either.
Personally, I don't believe it's a deliberate tactic, I think it's a symptom of where we are at as a squad.

I'm not convinced Degsy, I think it's the easy option for players short on confidence and ability. I also think a passing game only works when players "show" for the short ball and again, players short on confidence don't tend to want to do that either.
Personally, I don't believe it's a deliberate tactic, I think it's a symptom of where we are at as a squad.

I beg to differ - I really do think that all this hoofing the ball up the pitch (particularly by the Goalie is from instructions/tactics of the manager.
When they keep it on the ground and use the midfield then they seem to play much better, controlled football - my opinion for way it’s worth !

I beg to differ - I really do think that all this hoofing the ball up the pitch (particularly by the Goalie is from instructions/tactics of the manager.
When they keep it on the ground and use the midfield then they seem to play much better, controlled football - my opinion for way it’s worth !
Leam knows we play better on the floor, if we can see that, then he can see that. I think the players were just nervous and kept hoofing the ball up as they was too afraid to play on the floor. Confidence is all you need.

You may be right about instructions to the goalie Degsy, last thing we want is to try and play it out from the back, I was referring to the back 4/5 lumping it long every time. I'd hope Richardson is not instructing them to do that.

We saw it a bit the first half of last season when things weren’t going our way. It is absolutely a confidence thing

The wind seemed a big factor today as both teams looked more dangerous when it was behind them.I thought we were well organised throughout,but offered no attacking threat in that 1st half.
But after HT I thought we were superb! We pushed further up the pitch,played more on the front foot and showed much more attacking intent,purpose and belief.We thoroughly deserved that late point, although it was crucial save by Jones at the end from the James error to deny Madden.
Thought Tilt was excellent today,closely followed by Merrie.
Overall a great reaction from the players to Tuesdays disappointment!
Now all eyes on the takeover and I'm hoping surely it has to go through before Xmas to give us a fighting chance of staying up!

Leam knows we play better on the floor, if we can see that, then he can see that. I think the players were just nervous and kept hoofing the ball up as they was too afraid to play on the floor. Confidence is all you need.

Most of the hoofing the whole game (and in recent games) is done by Jones - if Lean doesn’t like it he only has to say so - but it goes on - so it’s Liam’s tactic !

Most of the hoofing the whole game (and in recent games) is done by Jones - if Lean doesn’t like it he only has to say so - but it goes on - so it’s Liam’s tactic !
........or, he doesn't think he has a better replacement available.

Long is comfortable on the ball, Tilt less so, and Johnson least of all. Wider, Pearce is OK, but James has an occasional blip. Jones will know this, and won't want to risk the kind of cock up that nearly cost us late on.

You may be right about instructions to the goalie Degsy, last thing we want is to try and play it out from the back, I was referring to the back 4/5 lumping it long every time. I'd hope Richardson is not instructing them to do that.

I think that’s exactly what he’s doing !

I know we are sick and tired of hearing about,
getting new experienced players into the squad.

We can't do this until the EFL take us out of Admin,
and the NEW owners can take full control and recruit
players, to take us up the League to safety, and we can
start next season, up and running from the start.

“I don't understand why we have a midfield, they don't win second ball and must have sore necks watching the ball soar over them every time the keeper or back four get hold of the ball.”

Hoofing the ball up the pitch is on instruction of manager and not the fault of the players !

I agree it’s stupid in such conditions and should be kept with the players on the ground !

When played through midfield, I thought Perry & Merry controlled it well and I don’t think you can fault Merrie in his commitment and success in tacking, winning the ball mor often than losing it !

I totally agree with you Degsy, my comments were not directed solely at the players but they are the ones on the pitch and should have realised the futility of what they were doing and brought it to the attention of the coaches. LR is not new to this type of situation, he was part of the team alongside Paul Cook that used the tactic last season and it failed miserably.

What it says to me is that he doesn't trust his midfield and is instructing the back four to miss them out and I think his mistrust is misguided.

When we get the ball down and play through midfield we look a decent side, sure, they are young lads and will make the odd mistake but they will learn from that rather than basically giving the opposition the ball back every time we play out and putting them under pressure.

There is a time to play the long ball, but to do it every time we play the ball out from the back is so easy for the opposition. We need to vary it and Jamie Jones should use his centre backs more, as most of the opposing teams do when we play them.

Yesterday was possibly the worst time to be hitting long balls with the weather conditions very much against it and LR and GR should have seen that and encouraged the lads to get it down on the deck. Possibly a little bit of inexperience from them and I am sure it is as much a learning curve for them as it is for the players.

Still a good point for us and the next three games are all six pointers against the teams around us and if the lads continue to battle the way they did yesterday we will get out of the bottom four.

I totally agree with you Degsy, my comments were not directed solely at the players but they are the ones on the pitch and should have realised the futility of what they were doing and brought it to the attention of the coaches. LR is not new to this type of situation, he was part of the team alongside Paul Cook that used the tactic last season and it failed miserably.

What it says to me is that he doesn't trust his midfield and is instructing the back four to miss them out and I think his mistrust is misguided.

When we get the ball down and play through midfield we look a decent side, sure, they are young lads and will make the odd mistake but they will learn from that rather than basically giving the opposition the ball back every time we play out and putting them under pressure.

There is a time to play the long ball, but to do it every time we play the ball out from the back is so easy for the opposition. We need to vary it and Jamie Jones should use his centre backs more, as most of the opposing teams do when we play them.

Yesterday was possibly the worst time to be hitting long balls with the weather conditions very much against it and LR and GR should have seen that and encouraged the lads to get it down on the deck. Possibly a little bit of inexperience from them and I am sure it is as much a learning curve for them as it is for the players.

Still a good point for us and the next three games are all six pointers against the teams around us and if the lads continue to battle the way they did yesterday we will get out of the bottom four.

To play out from the back you need players who are comfortable, as well as good on the ball. Look at what happens...We give the ball away cheaply and concede or almost..as Tom James did yesterday. Tom Pearce has made similar mistakes, as has Adam Long. It's too risky when the opposition press, and the manager knows it. Wait until we get a few more quality players in, then 're-evaluate.

A 5-0 loss on Tuesday is not going to fill the younger players with confidence, which is what is needed to play out from the back.
They would have been conscious of making mistakes after such a defeat and looking to get the ball away from defence as quickly as possible.
I don't believe it is a deliberate tactic from LR, just as I don't believe it was a deliberate tactic from PC last year. It's all about having the confidence to give things a go.
We have had players making silly mistakes and being caught in possession in a lot of games this season, they just wanted to avoid this and another heavy defeat.
LR has been encouraging the players to have a go more in recent games and possibly the Rochdale game just made them think twice.
LR says they discussed things at half time and he should be given credit for giving the players the belief that they should keep posession a bit more and play the ball through rather than over midfield when they could.

A 5-0 loss on Tuesday is not going to fill the younger players with confidence, which is what is needed to play out from the back.
They would have been conscious of making mistakes after such a defeat and looking to get the ball away from defence as quickly as possible.
I don't believe it is a deliberate tactic from LR, just as I don't believe it was a deliberate tactic from PC last year. It's all about having the confidence to give things a go.
We have had players making silly mistakes and being caught in possession in a lot of games this season, they just wanted to avoid this and another heavy defeat.
LR has been encouraging the players to have a go more in recent games and possibly the Rochdale game just made them think twice.
LR says they discussed things at half time and he should be given credit for giving the players the belief that they should keep posession a bit more and play the ball through rather than over midfield when they could.
Spot on, after the 0-5 hammering at Home against Rochdale it must have shattered their confidence and then go to play
Fleetwood Away a few days later and get a 1-1 draw is a credit to the team.

I wish they could string together 3 wins on the trot,
to give them more confidence in themselves and to learn how
to finish teams off, when they have them under the cosh.

Last edited:
To play out from the back you need players who are comfortable, as well as good on the ball. Look at what happens...We give the ball away cheaply and concede or almost..as Tom James did yesterday. Tom Pearce has made similar mistakes, as has Adam Long. It's too risky when the opposition press, and the manager knows it. Wait until we get a few more quality players in, then 're-evaluate.

Good point well made, however it doesn't stop the ball coming back to us every time the ball is hoofed forward, it may eliminate the immediate threat but just delays the inevitable with the ball coming back so often.

My point is that we are punting the ball high and long at every opportunity and that is putting pressure on Merrie and Perry in midfield who are being overrun. There is a time to hit it long but that is not every time, there were plenty of opportunities to play it short and even play the simple pass into midfield and yet it was hit long into a strong headwind.

I appreciate the comment about more quality players coming in, but that may not happen, so the players we have need to adapt. As I said they will make mistakes but hopefully they learn from them and improve.

Good point well made, however it doesn't stop the ball coming back to us every time the ball is hoofed forward, it may eliminate the immediate threat but just delays the inevitable with the ball coming back so often.

My point is that we are punting the ball high and long at every opportunity and that is putting pressure on Merrie and Perry in midfield who are being overrun. There is a time to hit it long but that is not every time, there were plenty of opportunities to play it short and even play the simple pass into midfield and yet it was hit long into a strong headwind.

I appreciate the comment about more quality players coming in, but that may not happen, so the players we have need to adapt. As I said they will make mistakes but hopefully they learn from them and improve.

I am still convinced that hoofing the ball up the pitch is a tactic used by Cook last season and LR this season.
From what I’ve seen Perry & Merrie are very good with the ball and when given the chance they look impressive.
I agree mistakes have been made but from what I can see those mistakes are less and less !
LR should tell the back 4 to stop hoofing it up the pitch and play it through midfield- I think then you may see thinks picking up on a regular basis !