Your Views on Taking the Knee | Page 12 | Vital Football

Your Views on Taking the Knee

Exactly or basically? It cannot be both

In the context in which I used it, "basically" was effectively a synonym for "fundamentally". The article said exactly what I was saying.

I'm not really sure why you used it to (presumably) support your argument. You said "It's not because they have less stringent hygiene", while the article quite clearly concludes with the following ..."Dr Martin added: “My concern is that if the market is opened to chlorinated chicken and other low welfare practices, the UK and EU higher welfare standards of poultry production are at risk.

“The UK is one of the global leaders in animal welfare standards and protective legislation, but as always we should continue to strive in further improvement. The US has no federal regulations to protect poultry welfare – only state guidance and recommendations. The risk of importation would affect standards overall, jeopardise poultry welfare and penalise British producers.”

Hudds, how do you know the 'overwhelming majority of players are supportive of it' ??
IMO think are fair few of the 'overwhelming majority' of players are bowing to peer pressure, media pressure & image pressure.
Remember the Suarez / Evra debacle where at the DW Stadium all the Liverpool players wore the infamous t-shirts. Years later the likes of Carrager etc stated that it was wrong but they bowed to dressing / peer pressure. I'd think in a few years time if they asked players what they thought of taking the knee all those years ago you may well find that the 'overwhelming majority' may say the same as Carrager 🤔

Exactly Jock, personally I have no objection to any player who feels he wants to take the knee, however there are some players who are not minded to do so but are being told to for the sake of team solidarity. If a player doesn't want to participate he should not feel pressured into doing so, this defeats the object of the protest. Those that object, including those that boo, should therefore not be called out as racist. I believe in the freedom to protest peacefully and although booing is noisy it is still a peaceful way of showing solidarity against something you disapprove of.

If the players who want to take the knee wish to continue doing so then let them do it prior to lining up for the kick off, but be graceful enough to understand if others do not wish to join in. As an example there are many players from different religious beliefs who partake in exercising their right to show their faith by crossing themselves or kneeling before kick off which offends no one.

They advocated defunding the police while rioting. Seems a strange way to prove they don't need police. Unless they, by merit of doing things wrong werent BLM. Convenient!

Again, the logic being that if some funding is diverted from the police into other areas of social & community work/justice/programmes then the need for protests about social injustice in turn decrease and so on
Whether I agree that it'd work is another matter but the theory behind it isn't that hard to understand
And again, for the vast majority defunding the police isn't about that they aren't needed

Exactly Jock, personally I have no objection to any player who feels he wants to take the knee, however there are some players who are not minded to do so but are being told to for the sake of team solidarity. If a player doesn't want to participate he should not feel pressured into doing so, this defeats the object of the protest. Those that object, including those that boo, should therefore not be called out as racist. I believe in the freedom to protest peacefully and although booing is noisy it is still a peaceful way of showing solidarity against something you disapprove of.

If the players who want to take the knee wish to continue doing so then let them do it prior to lining up for the kick off, but be graceful enough to understand if others do not wish to join in. As an example there are many players from different religious beliefs who partake in exercising their right to show their faith by crossing themselves or kneeling before kick off which offends no one.

By the same token, how do those who are saying that players are being pressurised to take the knee despite objecting or having reservations, know that is the case??

By the same token, how do those who are saying that players are being pressurised to take the knee despite objecting or having reservations, know that is the case??

Give them the opportunity to show it by publicly stating that it is ok to refuse.

In Formula one they did that and now about half of the drivers take the Knee whilst the others stand .

Are you sure? I thought chlorination was not allowed. Granted, many other pesticides and poor animal husbandry practices probably persist in some (unscrupulous) places, but not chlorination .........I think.
Absolutely certain 😉

I know that. I didn't say it was itself chlorinated. The chlorination is required because they have less stringent hygiene standards. That's why I mentioned the animal husbandry.

It's still wrong.
It's the US use of growth hormones in beef production you really need to be concerned about !

They advocated defunding the police while rioting. Seems a strange way to prove they don't need police. Unless they, by merit of doing things wrong werent BLM. Convenient!
TBF the police at the time may as well have been refunded as they were down on their knee rather than locking rioters and vandals up !
Tbf they did sort themselves out and got properly tooled up for the counter demo the following week 😉

It's the US use of growth hormones in beef production you really need to be concerned about !

Oh, absolutely ........ but it tastes so damn good. A New York Strip in Fort Worth is just about the best steak I've ever tasted.

Chicken is chicken !

Fair do ...... though I suppose that as it's not the chlorination itself that's an issue, it's less of a problem if the vegetables it's being used on have been grown in less than adequate conditions !

;)
It done to extend shelf life primarily

From taking the knee to chlorinated chicken - someone best check on Zakky’s welfare with this level of thread divergence 😂

Nah.....it's all linked :

Chlorine as a gas is green, and is also the colour of McLean's international shirt, and
Chicken is the insult aimed at those hesitant about taking the knee from within the (laden with peer pressure) teams.

All on topic.

;)

Hudds, how do you know the 'overwhelming majority of players are supportive of it' ??
IMO think are fair few of the 'overwhelming majority' of players are bowing to peer pressure, media pressure & image pressure.
Remember the Suarez / Evra debacle where at the DW Stadium all the Liverpool players wore the infamous t-shirts. Years later the likes of Carrager etc stated that it was wrong but they bowed to dressing / peer pressure. I'd think in a few years time if they asked players what they thought of taking the knee all those years ago you may well find that the 'overwhelming majority' may say the same as Carrager 🤔

I meant overwhelming majority of black players. I haven’t heard or seen any voicing opposition to it, and there’s probably been hundreds of black players in English football who’ve made posts of them kneeling on social media and the like over the last few months. Dunkley, Massey, Byrne, Balogun, Lowe, Robinson, Kipre and James from last season’s squad just off the top of my head. Byrne of course was racially abused a couple of seasons ago after scoring in the last minute against Bristol City, and I believe Ivan Toney was by someone when he was at the club a couple of years ago.

I’m just of the opinion that if they see that as the most effective way to voice anti-racism, who are we to tell them otherwise? Do you think all these millionaire footballers are doing it because they’re left-wing? Of course not.

The Liverpool shirts were worn *supporting* Suarez after he’d racially abused Evra, it was the exact opposite of current events.

Last edited:
It's what activists do. Pin their flag to the nearest thing which they interpretate to be their cause. The left have been drawn to BLM like a magnate.
The left in Liverpool have been drawn to any cause for years but it seems like a short cut to capitalism seems to be favoured too.
The facists too have always associated themselves to anything to do with race.
It's what they all do, left and right force their opinions on others.

That we agree on!

You seem to be conveniently misinterpreting what BLM are protesting to make your argument work so we aren't all clear of fault are we?