Thommo | Page 16 | Vital Football

Thommo

You've actually started a debate in which there is no right or wrong, just two differing views as Cherry exile has posted. I could give you some equally convincing figures from our own UK Government that says agriculture is responsible for 10% of emissions and whilst global agriculture has a larger GHG it's not as high as Transport, Industry and Energy.

View attachment 43911
I could also show you a peer reviewed paper that showed at the height of locdown CO2 dropped by 17% whilst we stopped travelling and yet the livestock number didn't change. Never mind that you are talking about many people livelihoods.
View attachment 43912

But instead I'm off to mark the team, man of the match and the referee. I hope you keep any replies as cordial as my observations. As for Thommo the sooner he's back the better, and everyone can just move on.
There was a massive drop in CO2 during lockdown but people soon got back in their cars and the greenhouse gas that causes the most damage from animal agriculture is methane so monitoring CO2 levels is pointless there. Methane is 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide which is why animal ag is so damaging.

An NFU meme to prove the point. My sides are splitting and your responses is laughable. Most livestock is not grass fed most of the year and consume about 70% of arable crops grown for very little return. Animal agriculture in this country consumes a lot of soya. Over 95% of the soya grown goes into livestock feed causing rainforest loss. Sheep on the uplands crop the grass too short and cause erosion and flooding. Try discussing this with somebody who does not know what they are talking about and they might believe your lying propaganda.

(Not a spoof answer this time):
Surely any climate problems are down to humans not animals?
And why shouldn't animals be able to eat their fair share?
(As an aside, three consecutive rhyming words with different spellings rhyming!)

And where I live, the sheep and cows eat grass, not soya (it doesn't grow in these parts).
And if it wasn't for farmers, how would the countryside then be? Far worse I'd imagine.

And what's any of this got to do with Thommo? (Unless he comes from a farming family)

There was a massive drop in CO2 during lockdown but people soon got back in their cars and the greenhouse gas that causes the most damage from animal agriculture is methane so monitoring CO2 levels is pointless there. Methane is 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide which is why animal ag is so damaging.

If methane is that bad, then maybe vegetables should be banned

Sorry Impede, you are totally wrong with this comment. Each country is different, the Uk livestock industry is one of the most efficient and climate friendly in the world and with the grass and uplands acting as a carbon sink, is part of the answer, not the cause.

Anyway, that is ‘off topic’, this thread is about Tommo.
Andrew, nice to see you back. Hope everyone is well - especially 'you know who'.

I bet them dinosaurs had a good shit back in the day.:toot:

Edit: Time to move the thread or close it me thinks, gone slightly off topic.

Last edited:
Methane is 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide which is why animal ag is so damaging.

What the hell are they feeding to some of these buses these days then? I got on one the other day that said it was powered by methane.
It must of been shitting itself on the whole journey round the city.
Thought there was a funny smell.
Ban the buses I say.

Do you know what I find so offensive? When someone has to resort to effing and blinding and hurling insults when someone doesn't agree with their point of view. It's far more a measure of a person than the politics or social beliefs they think they have.

Some people need to look in the mirror and think to themselves what they are actually like as people. Whatever happened to the art of reasonable debate and respecting other people's views.

Come on we all Imps on here and that's what this board should be for not for perceived political or social points scoring. Let's have a bit of respect for each other.

Are they serious? If people get upset by such tame banter style remarks they really need to take a long hard look at what’s on TV and in the movies these days, which is substantially more insulting, provocative, divisive and hurtful. You’ll notice I haven’t included politics, which is even worse 🤬

What the hell are they feeding to some of these buses these days then? I got on one the other day that said it was powered by methane.
It must of been shitting itself on the whole journey round the city.
Thought there was a funny smell.
Ban the buses I say.
It is burning the methane. Not releasing it into the atmosphere.

Are you being a WUM again or is that a serious question?
Surely the real answer is to produce less food waste not argue over whether to burn the methane or not. Same with the point earlier over animals where both points were correct, yes farmed animals do create problems (I'll leave others to argue the extent) but there would be a whole lot less of them without the demand (humans).

Surely the real answer is to produce less food waste not argue over whether to burn the methane or not. Same with the point earlier over animals where both points were correct, yes farmed animals do create problems (I'll leave others to argue the extent) but there would be a whole lot less of them without the demand (humans).

Correct.
And the balance probably needs to be far less mass production farming and much more sustainable farming with proper respect for the animals themselves.
And I come from a farming family which had cows (and my grandtather would know them all by name, can't imagine that goes on in the mass production operations).