Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

Melbourne needs to work on the accuracy of his passing, and not getting caught on the ball. Might also come good given a run of games, and the risk is part of the ‘project’ to improve him over a couple of years I suppose. Same applies to Edun and roughan.
Totally agree. At the moment I feel the left back position is not as strong as the other 10 positions.

Is it still the right thing to do if we don't beat Wigan, or if we finish mid table at the end? I'm never sure about that with cup rotation... I think it's hard to say at this point whether it's the right thing to do?

I think you're right that the whole Morton thing has restricted us, though.
Do you think rotation cost us the game today?
In my eyes we created a lot more openings than previous 2 games. imho Montsma wouldn’t have been fit to play as our main goal scoring threat

Is he still getting that wrong? The man is an absolute buffoon, does he ever do any prep?

Anyway, thanks to a couple of friendly folk on here I’ve worked out how to change the audio to the other side for the last couple of games and it’s made a huge difference to watching the game.

I don't know what you mean, surely there's nothing wrong with the Lincoln Siddy one.

We always knew this would be a difficult week, I blame Danny, he made the draw😈
To look on the bright side, even though we only scored one goal in three games we did get four points, and we won’t have to endure another Liverpool....

Absolutely and totally Danny's fault.
Hope he at least paid for the coach and accommodation sending us all the way to other end of country. Really out of order.

Well, we'll play worse than that and win (as we already have done). There were good performances from most of the players but we still lost, so what can you say?

Gotts had his best game so far, although he wasn't really tested in defence with Plymouth being so unadventurous. I thought Archibald was a bit disappointing, and dare I say Johnson was too often ineffective - two or three times he tried to beat too many players and lost the ball - although we seemed to find it difficult to get him in the game for a lot of the second half. I thought Melbourne was also a little disappointing, but Edun did well in both positions he played.

But would always rather lose in a cup tie than a league game.

I'm the opposite. I'd go for a cup win first.

If we can't score at home against Wigan, then we really know we've got striker problems.

Wigan have actually conceded fewer goals this season than Plymouth. Their problem is scoring.
Don't expect a goal fest on Tuesday. They will set up with a flat back 10

Wigan have actually conceded fewer goals this season than Plymouth. Their problem is scoring.
Don't expect a goal fest on Tuesday. They will set up with a flat back 10

And we will huff-and-puff ineffectually around their 18-yard box taking occasional long-range pot-shots. Has 0-0 written all over it.

Wonder what the breakdown of our goals is?

How many from open play? How many from corners? How many from free kicks and penalties?

Wonder what the breakdown of our goals is?

How many from open play? How many from corners? How many from free kicks and penalties?
Doesn't matter how, only that most games you do score. There will always be short barren spells.

Looking back on recent history you can see what happens if you haven't got a free scoring 20 goals a season man.

2016/17 We are relying on Raggett and Waterfall at set pieces, Robinson only scores in cup matches, where is our 20 goals a season man

Champions,FA cup QF, FA trophy SF

2017/18 set pieces drying up, Green running the channels, Palmer only scores when coming off the bench, we need a 20 a season man

EFL2 playoffs, EFL Trophy winners

2018/19 Akinde only scores penalties, set pieces not as effective, we need a 20 a season man

EFL2 Champions

2019/20 Akinde only scoring penalties, Hopper isn't a big goal scorer, no goals from midfield

First time retained EFL1 status in decades

2020 Only scoring from penalties and Montsma at corners (other than trashing FGR, Bradford...) we need a 20 a season man

4th in EFL1 entering December

I don't think this a comparison that can be made to be honest. The style we played under the Cowleys was totally different - dominant defence and a big reliance on set pieces.

This year we are playing some of the best passing football I have seen since GT's days, but a lot of it is not coming to fruition because we don't have a natural goalscorer. MA has hinted at that himself by saying what his priority will be in January if we have the finances.

The current squad will I think still make the play offs in 5th or 6th place. The addition of a 20 goal man could see us win it. Opportunities to win a league don't come around very often. Its an unusual season and a very open league this year, probably because every club has financial issues. We are one player short of taking full advantage.