Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

Well, we'll play worse than that and win (as we already have done). There were good performances from most of the players but we still lost, so what can you say?

Gotts had his best game so far, although he wasn't really tested in defence with Plymouth being so unadventurous. I thought Archibald was a bit disappointing, and dare I say Johnson was too often ineffective - two or three times he tried to beat too many players and lost the ball - although we seemed to find it difficult to get him in the game for a lot of the second half. I thought Melbourne was also a little disappointing, but Edun did well in both positions he played.

But would always rather lose in a cup tie than a league game.

Decent display all over the pitch - except in their penalty area. If this squad is going to realise their obvious potential, we desperately need a goal poacher. The number of balls bobbling around eight yards from goal that we don't get a clear strike on is a real problem.

Having said that, with a true goalscorer in side we would be top of this division - and the pressure really would be on. But then its years since we had an out and out goal poacher. Simon Yeo?

Could you not argue that resting Grant for FGR rather than this one and not being involved next week at all in the EFL trophy would be alright?

I think the last half hour showed Grant with Saturday Tuesday in his legs is more dangerous and cutting than some of our other options.
Maybe, but we rested others in that game - Hopper, TJ, McGrandles, Jones. There was no Montsma or Walsh either due to injury so it depends game to game.

We have had no problem playing this way and scoring against league 2 teams, and the signs are we will do ok with a tight defence and our first 11 against the L1 teams. January could be a huge chance to add goal scoring option(s) and a decent left back. That would take us to another level. Or the likes of scully, Edun, Melbourne, archibald, gotts, eyoma continue to improve and it clicks with minimum changes. All about finances.

and a quick recovery by Morton might make up for the missing 3rd round fa cup match.
lots to be positive about.

The other side of that is we could lose players like the Monster. As fans we don't want to see that, but pragmatically that is what the project is about. That's one of the reasons why in my opinion we won't feature in the play-offs. But a reasonable place in this division is fantastic, as far as I'm concerned

Could you not argue that resting Grant for FGR rather than this one and not being involved next week at all in the EFL trophy would be alright?

I think the last half hour showed Grant with Saturday Tuesday in his legs is more dangerous and cutting than some of our other options.
I was pleased to see grant and Jones rested at least for 60 minutes. Mcgrandles has come back looking better for a rest. walsh also continued where he left off, apart from that possible red card tackle.

as you say, the results in December will show whether selecting this team today is a good decision. One of those difficult calls the manager has to make.

Maybe, but we rested others in that game - Hopper, TJ, McGrandles, Jones. There was no Montsma or Walsh either due to injury so it depends game to game.

Maybe. I get it, just think I prefer the Plymouth school of just playing a stronger side. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong tbh (re: rotation), but Plymouth have to travel miles to play everyone and they played, bar Mayor, a very strong side. If we really wanted to rest Grant he could have not travelled at all, or at least not come on when we were 2-0 down? Just seems the worst of all worlds to me.

I still think we'll finish around 10th or something as I don't think the Montsma scoring 1 in 2/Grant pens are sustainable, so a warchest from the cup would be grand and entertaining. Hopefully I'm wrong and we win the playoffs and are laughing and I'm a mug for being bothered about not going for cup ties. Mapp will have forgotten more about football than I know; just think there isn't an obviously correct approach to resting for the cup really and I don't love what we've done today.

I think it's a cup tie DC might have won? But appreciate they are different schools of manager.

Maybe. I get it, just think I prefer the Plymouth school of just playing a stronger side. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong tbh (re: rotation), but Plymouth have to travel miles to play everyone and they played, bar Mayor, a very strong side. If we really wanted to rest Grant he could have not travelled at all, or at least not come on when we were 2-0 down? Just seems the worst of all worlds to me.

I still think we'll finish around 10th or something as I don't think the Montsma scoring 1 in 2/Grant pens are sustainable, so a warchest from the cup would be grand and entertaining. Hopefully I'm wrong and we win the playoffs and are laughing and I'm a mug for being bothered about not going for cup ties. Mapp will have forgotten more about football than I know; just think there isn't an obviously correct approach to resting for the cup really and I don't love what we've done today.

I think it's a cup tie DC might have won? But appreciate they are different schools of manager.

With a projected £1.5 million loss a big 3rd round tie would have been handy. Just sayin'...