Aston Villa Away To West Ham Utd Official Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa Away To West Ham Utd Official Thread

WH have good defenders but they don't defendin numbers. We should get chances; take them and I think we'll win.

Pity about Barclay but we ought to be able to manage without him.

They will defend in numbers mate they know how good we are, I'm joking but Brighton played for a draw so there is something in it

It's at their place. I don't think Moyes will be over-awed by us. I think he'll aim to score goals while not conceding, obviously, but I think he'll be attack minded. So long as we produce our tight away form I think we can keep them out, and we ought to be able to mount fast counter-attacks without Barclay. I've gone for 2-4; think they'll have some chances and maybe take a couple, but we can score goals.

I’d be quite happy to see us go there and keep it tight first and foremost, then hit them with a smash and grab. We’ve done it a few times over history, snuck a few 0-1’s in tight games. Nothing more satisfying than driving back up the M1 with the points in the bag however we get them.

I suspect we’ll go there and try to outplay them which is fair enough but they do have a decent side which explains why they’re on our tails. I just think we’ll fuck up if we don’t at least try and stifle them a bit.

Last edited:
Im expecting a performance here even if Barkley is out. The rest will have done them the world of good. Back to the Arsenal away type performance will do very nicely thanks.

West Ham are just like us.

Win games you wouldn't expect. Lose games they should be winning.

Guess we'll just cancel each other ouit in that regard and play out a drab 0-0

Yes, just came on to say similar, genuinely have no clue on this one. If they are tight at the back, we might struggle, we need space like Liverpool and Arsenal gave us.

Could be a good high scoring game, but as you say, probably end up a dull 0-0

If theres no Barkely I can see Hourihane starting with Grealish and Trez keeping the wings. Traore to come on with 20/30 minutes to go. I think until Traore gets up to speed Dean would be better off just switching Watkins wide and leaving Traore central.

To be fair to Hourihane, he was one of our better players after lockdown so hopefully he will continue from there (yes, I'd rather have Barkley but he's injured).
I think we are far too harsh on some of our players when you look at some of the gash around other PL clubs benches.

West Ham are just like us.

Win games you wouldn't expect. Lose games they should be winning.

Guess we'll just cancel each other ouit in that regard and play out a drab 0-0

West Ham supposedly had the toughest start to the season fixture wise. Most expected them to be bottom 3 by now.

Well according to West Ham fans, Antonio is expected to be back for Monday night. He'll be lacking match fitness so chances are he will be on the bench, but I'm sure Moyes will bring him on at some point to terrorise our back 4

To be fair to Hourihane, he was one of our better players after lockdown so hopefully he will continue from there (yes, I'd rather have Barkley but he's injured).
I think we are far too harsh on some of our players when you look at some of the gash around other PL clubs benches.

Some of the players can do a job here and there, Marv for instance can step into midfield for McGinn or Luiz on an as needed basis but not for more than 1 or 2 games. Same for Engels.

I think Hourihane will start and can do a job in this game as their not exactly a side that will take the game to us which suits him. They're also not overly powerful or athletic in the middle. I also don't think we are at our most dangerous with Jack through the middle because Traore is not up to speed and Trez is a workhorse not a showhorse. Playing a more disciplined role through the middle doesn't suit Grealish as much as a wide free role does. Purely because we lack talent, the limitatons of our side limit Grealish too.

I am strongly against moving Watkins out wide long term but leaving Traore through the middle with Watkins wide left could be an alternate option. Grealish will still be easier for West Ham to box out centrally but Watkins out wide would be a better outlet than an unfit Traore.

Some of the players can do a job here and there, Marv for instance can step into midfield for McGinn or Luiz on an as needed basis but not for more than 1 or 2 games. Same for Engels.

I think Hourihane will start and can do a job in this game as their not exactly a side that will take the game to us which suits him. They're also not overly powerful or athletic in the middle. I also don't think we are at our most dangerous with Jack through the middle because Traore is not up to speed and Trez is a workhorse not a showhorse. Playing a more disciplined role through the middle doesn't suit Grealish as much as a wide free role does. Purely because we lack talent, the limitatons of our side limit Grealish too.

I am strongly against moving Watkins out wide long term but leaving Traore through the middle with Watkins wide left could be an alternate option. Grealish will still be easier for West Ham to box out centrally but Watkins out wide would be a better outlet than an unfit Traore.

Yes Grealish has to play wide for me as well, it just gives him far more opportunity to isolate defenders and cause problems. He can play through the middle, but he often gets crowded out too quickly and doesnt have as much of an impact on the game.

Yes Grealish has to play wide for me as well, it just gives him far more opportunity to isolate defenders and cause problems. He can play through the middle, but he often gets crowded out too quickly and doesnt have as much of an impact on the game.

It's easier to crowd him out anywhere i f you use enough players Brighton had all 10 back in the end