Swans v Sheff Wed | Vital Football

Swans v Sheff Wed

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Our next opponents have a new manager in charge after ex-Swan Gary Monk became the latest casualty in a long line of failed managers at Sheffield Wednesday.
The highly experienced Tony Pulis, who hails from Newport, has taken over the reins there.
His first match in charge saw the Owls down to ten men after only 17 mins, Josh Windass sent off for a high tackle on Preston’s Joe Rafferty. It took Preston 48 mins to score the winning goal and it came as a huge relief after losing their previous 5 home matches.
Frankie McAvoy:
“It feels good to obviously win a home game, it was tough though, particularly when they go down to 10 men. It becomes difficult because they go to a back five with three in front of that and then the onus is on you to try and break them down. Thankfully we've won the game, I thought in the second half we totally controlled it."
Tony Pulis:
“There were good signs at times but when you go down to 10 men it's really difficult. The lads worked all week on certain things and it just goes out the window but you can't fault their effort.
They only had one shot on goal and that was their goal. There's one or two things that I'm disappointed with, we gifted them the goal, it wasn't something they created, but I think all of them gave a very honest performance."
And the reaction to Swans 1-0 win over Rotherham -
Steve Cooper:
"We scored a scruffy goal to be fair and to show the other side of the game in the second half, showing resilience and character and dealing with the set-pieces and having the kitchen sink thrown at us, I'm really happy with that. Also credit to the boys because our record after the international break hadn't been great, we do lose a lot of players to the international break. I am really pleased with the win as these are difficult games."
Paul Warne:
“In fairness to Swansea I thought they played really well and asked us a lot of questions and we didn't have the answers for everything. I thought our first-half performance was lacklustre, and it just wasn't us.
The joy of having five changes is good when things aren't going great, and it allowed us to make a couple of changes at half-time and then tweak the system.
We caused them more problems and on another day we might have got a penalty or a tap-in from the goalkeeper's drop, but Swansea could have scored more as well.
I'm not trying to sugarcoat it, they were the better team today and they get the three points."

On current form we should win but Championship matches are so hard to predict. Pulis’s teams of the past have been very solid defensively so we can expect a tight game at the Liberty on Wed night.

Quirky.
On Wednesday we play Sheffield Wednesday.
Swans last 3 home matches W3 D0 L0 F5 A0
S Wed last 3 away matches W0 D0 L3 F0 A5

One change from Saturday, Jay Fulton rested Korey Smith comes in
No sign of Marc Guehi but Andre Ayew makes the subs bench:

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Ben Cabango, Ryan Bennett, Kyle Naughton; Connor Roberts, Korey Smith, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Yan Dhanda; Liam Cullen, Jamal Lowe.

Substitutes: Steven Benda, Ryan Manning, Jay Fulton, Joel Latibeaudiere, Andre Ayew, Kasey Palmer, Wayne Routledge, Oli Cooper, Tivonge Rushesha.

Sheffield Wednesday: Keiren Westwood, Liam Palmer, Joost van Aken, Callum Paterson, Barry Bannan (captain), Adam Reach, Julian Borner, Tom Lees, Jordan Rhodes, Massimo Luongo, Moses Odubajo.

Substitutes: Joe Wildsmith, Joey Pelupessy, Matt Penney, Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, Osaze Urhoghide, Izzy Brown, Liam Shaw, Alex Hunt, Elias Kachunga.

0-1 Reach 27’
Wednesday, who can’t beat their way out of a paper bag at the moment, are ahead.
Swans are hopeless against bottom sides, unbelievable.

Last edited:
First goal conceded at home since another lowly side, Huddersfield, beat us on 17 Oct.

Last edited:
HT 0-1
Swans 1 shot on goal, 0 shots on target
Owls 3 shots on goal, 2 on target, 1 goal
Sort it out, not good enough.

FT 1-1
Better second half, just couldn’t get the winner against a big defensive side who defended well. A hand ball penalty shout in the goalmouth scramble, ball in the net right at the end, but the ref gave a free kick for a foul on the Owls goalkeeper, typical. The gap widens at the top.

Last edited:
Steve Cooper:
“We didn't play well enough first half, that's for sure, and I am not going to lose sight of that when I analyse the game back with the players.
We fell into the trap of having loads of the ball, not being quick enough and creative enough with it and getting done on a set-piece or a counter-attack.
But fair play, a couple of changes second half, an improvement in intensity and we were good for getting back in the game.
There are some good positives from the second half and Andre ended up giving us a defining moment for the game, a great finish as we have come to expect from him.
The end was the end. Apparently it was a foul on the goalkeeper he blew for. Good luck in writing about that one wherever it was."

Tony Pulis:
“I thought we played really well in the first half. After the first 10 minutes of Swansea possession I thought we played into the space more and looked like a really good passing team.
They changed their system in the second half. Ayew is one of the best forwards in the league and him coming on was the difference.
The psychological effect of him coming on was that our defenders took a step back and they then controlled the game.
The lads have worked really hard, they're a really good group of lads. There's lots we have to work on and lots I'd like to put in place, but to think we had six players out tonight, those players would have started, so they've done fantastically well, especially with two away games in a row."