Graham Cowdrey | Vital Football

Graham Cowdrey

Young to go RIP.

I remember standing on Bromley South station many years ago and realising that the whole Cowdrey family were standing next to me. Mad to think that 5 year old has now passed.

Watched him.play many times.I quiet character unlike his brother Chris. Sad news no age .RIP Graham.

Wow, that’s sad. How old was Graham?

RIP

BTW, what a great cricketing family. And Kent through and through.

Sad day, regular watcher of Kent Cricket,was fine cricketer,
Remember picture of his dad Colin when he faced West Indies duo of Hall and Griffith,body was covered in bruises head to foot,plus even batted with broken arm once if I remember correct,sorry I diverged to his dad somewhat

Sad day, regular watcher of Kent Cricket,was fine cricketer,
Remember picture of his dad Colin when he faced West Indies duo of Hall and Griffith,body was covered in bruises head to foot,plus even batted with broken arm once if I remember correct,sorry I diverged to his dad somewhat
Slightly off topic - but apparently Colin was recalled by England very late in his career and flew out to Australia as an injury replacement during the tour when Lillee and Thomson were at their fastest and best. Walked out to bat, doffed his cap to Thomson and said 'good morning, my name's Colin, delighted to meet you'. The reply wasn't quite so complimentary.

Slightly off topic - but apparently Colin was recalled by England very late in his career and flew out to Australia as an injury replacement during the tour when Lillee and Thomson were at their fastest and best. Walked out to bat, doffed his cap to Thomson and said 'good morning, my name's Colin, delighted to meet you'. The reply wasn't quite so complimentary.
There is a story, might be apocryphal, that the great Viv Richards was batting and Tuffers came on to bowl. He said to Tuffers "didn't you go to that school right next to the Oval?" Tuffers confirmed that he had indeed gone to Haberdashers Ash school. Richards hit the next delivery out of the ground and suggested that as Tuffers knew where the playground was he should go and retrieve it.

Mark Waugh to James Ormand - you're fat and shouldn't be playing test cricket.
Ormand's response - that might be true, but at least I'm the best cricketer in my family.

Don't think I ever saw Graham make a really big score. But some good fifties etc .Excellent one day cricketer too.

I remember watching west Hall and Charlie Griffiths. Wes Hall used to start his run nearly at the boundary. Great west Indies team, Gary Sobers, Lance Gibbs , Seymour nurse , basil Butcher great players.
For bravery or madness Brian close standing up to Michael Holding. No protection shirt undone at the front. Took blow after blow. John Edrich at the other end

I remember watching west Hall and Charlie Griffiths. Wes Hall used to start his run nearly at the boundary. Great west Indies team, Gary Sobers, Lance Gibbs , Seymour nurse , basil Butcher great players.
For bravery or madness Brian close standing up to Michael Holding. No protection shirt undone at the front. Took blow after blow. John Edrich at the other end
I recall watching Holding playing for the Windies at Canterbury and they had to move the advertising board at the Nackington Road end to accommodate his run up. Memory fades, but the keeper seemed only to be about 10 yards inside the boundary to take the ball. Forget seeing it as a spectator.