Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

I think we need to get back into focus on the way we were playing and not start thinking we are good enough to take the game to the opposition. Defend for our lives and break with a purpose. I think the Liverpool game has gone to the player's heads never mind ours

I'd disagree with the Liverpool bit, but not the rest. After Liverpool we went on to play what I think was our best performance for a long long time, against Leicester. We didn't go gungho. It was a hugely disciplined mature performance against a team which has taken us to the cleaners far too often in recent times. For whatever reason we didn't reproduce that against Leeds, and we needed to.

And we need to do it again against Southampton. They're a well-organised crowd with a match-winner in Ings. But we can beat them, if we reproduce the Leicester-level performance.

I'd disagree with the Liverpool bit, but not the rest. After Liverpool we went on to play what I think was our best performance for a long long time, against Leicester. We didn't go gungho. It was a hugely disciplined mature performance against a team which has taken us to the cleaners far too often in recent times. For whatever reason we didn't reproduce that against Leeds, and we needed to.

And we need to do it again against Southampton. They're a well-organised crowd with a match-winner in Ings. But we can beat them, if we reproduce the Leicester-level performance.

i think we showed Leicester respect because we know they are a decent team, i don't think people take Leeds so seriously, a bit like they didn't Sheff utd last season.

Don’t understand any criticism of Cash, he was doubled up time after time and it’s amazing only one goal came from his wing.

Southampton are decent, equally it won’t be a fit and fast onslaught like Leeds. I like the high pressing game we play, where we get up the pitch as a unit. We just need to know the phases of the game when to slow it down to not get caught out.

Very difficult game, their manager seems pretty decent for this league. I’d be disappointed if we don’t go for it, a draw isn’t bad result to keep the scoreboard ticking. I’d be disappointed with another loss, however good a start we’ve had.

Don’t understand any criticism of Cash, he was doubled up time after time and it’s amazing only one goal came from his wing.

I admit to being wrong about him in the last game. I thought his positioning was poor because he was making too many tackles. In reality, he did pretty well without support.

Southampton are decent, equally it won’t be a fit and fast onslaught like Leeds. I like the high pressing game we play, where we get up the pitch as a unit. We just need to know the phases of the game when to slow it down to not get caught out.

Very difficult game, their manager seems pretty decent for this league. I’d be disappointed if we don’t go for it, a draw isn’t bad result to keep the scoreboard ticking. I’d be disappointed with another loss, however good a start we’ve had.
My criticism of Cash was that he was in poor starting positions all night, neither close enough to Harrison to prevent the ball coming in, or deep enough to be able to defend him effectively when he did get it. As a full-back you do one or the other. Instead he was 10-15 yards square most of the night, hence Harrison getting the ball and just beating him down the outside. Having said that, Trezeguet was positionally even worse. This is/was inexperience on both players part, or bad communication. Elmo for Trez would have been a good option, as he would have done one or the other and Cash could then have moved into Trez's position.

Very difficult fixture this. I've been very impressed with Southampton for a while now. Very well organized and a good, slick passing team. Ings being the cherry on the cake, great finisher. Gotta be honest I'm not too confident about this game

I think the result of this one is secondary to what we see from the players in terms of effort and application, especially whether Mings can show the maturity to react the right way if things aren’t going his way....

I think the result of this one is secondary to what we see from the players in terms of effort and application, especially whether Mings can show the maturity to react the right way if things aren’t going his way....

Not just Mings, I'd add 8 players to that.

Massive litmus test. Win its proof we are on course for an unbelievable transformation. Lose all the old fears and concerns and sleepless nights are back. Draw written All over it.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it was a lack of effort the other night I just think we would have been full of confidence and probably expecting to win easily.But when reality set in confidence would have drained and when they scored panic would have set in and energy levels would have drained bringing us back down to earth and hopefully giving them a big dose of reality which if they are dedicated to the cause they will learn an awful lot from it.

Mings had his worst game in a Villa shirt on Friday for me. He'll want to come back from that with a faultless performance on Sunday.

I would say Southampton are at the same level as us this season. Good coaches, fairly good premier league starting XI, one or two stand out players, poor squad depth. It'll be a very even game.

I'm going to go for a Villa win for a few reasons. One, I'm biased. Two, Grealish will be up against Walker-Peters, a young full back who cares more about getting forward than defending. Three, as I said above, Mings will want to come back and make up for his terrible second half performance against Leeds; no better way to do that than to have Ings and that blue nose striker in his pockets for 90 minutes.

I think we all know the prefered starting 11 against Southampton. Give or take one player.
It will be interesting to see the views and the team after another 5 games and indeed come the end of the season.
This must be the first time we've not had several different opinions on the team selection in years.
I wonder how long it will last , I wonder how long before Hourihane Taylor Freddie Heaton and even Wesley are being championed for a return :throw:

I'll take a good coherent team performance, I'm not that bothered at a level about a specific 11, I'd just like them to look as if they know the system they're set up to play and create chances for Ollie.

If we saw a really good display as a team then a draw would be okay.

I'll take a good coherent team performance, I'm not that bothered at a level about a specific 11, I'd just like them to look as if they know the system they're set up to play and create chances for Ollie.

If we saw a really good display as a team then a draw would be okay.

Yep, in our first 4 matches we looked a balanced side working very well together, and concentrating 100%. I don't think we were that bad in the 5th but we lacked something, against a Leeds side who were good at prising open any chinks they found. We need to get back to the earlier state.

When we last played Southampton they were set up to not let us near their goal, and relied on Ings to conjure up something. Expect the same this time. We need to keep it tight, and be patient; chances will come at some point.

We'll find out after this game if we are Title Chasing Aston Villa or The Same Old Aston Villa.

We've had so many managers down the years who couldn't turn around a losing team. The heads went down and stayed down. MON could do it, Bruce could do it too. Let's see if Dean Smith is the real deal.