Burnley FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL Match Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

Burnley FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL Match Thread

Result?

• Win

• Draw

• Lose

Results are only viewable after voting.
Personally I'd take a boring 0-1 win over a 3-3 home draw, that's 11 games unbeaten in a really hectic schedule. I wonder if people are being unrealistic in expecting exciting attacking football in the middle of such a hectic schedule, right now I would settle for winning our next two games 1-0 before our tough November fixtures.
I would be quite happy keeping a couple of clean sheets, if that means curbing our attacking instincts so be it. We'll never win the league conceding the amount of goals we've been conceding, but we could winning 1-0

I'd be happy with a mix.

As of right now, Aurier needs to be back, he at least does manage to stretch defences.

I really think our full backs alone are driving the kind of football we play. Switch to Reguilon and Aurier and all of a sudden we are attacking at will.

However, I do understand, with the weather forecast, Burnley's overall squad physicality, and their tactics why Jose went with the starting line up he did. I have a feeling Lamela is not capable of playing 90 minutes and Bergwijn is struggling so Moura was selected. Moura is not my choice either these days and I am probably his biggest fan.

We walked away from Burnley with a very disciplined win doing what Jose wanted. A good lesson for everyone including the supporters. And Top has a point, we won't win the title being high scoring cowboys every game.

I really think our full backs alone are driving the kind of football we play. Switch to Reguilon and Aurier and all of a sudden we are attacking at will.

However, I do understand, with the weather forecast, Burnley's overall squad physicality, and their tactics why Jose went with the starting line up he did. I have a feeling Lamela is not capable of playing 90 minutes and Bergwijn is struggling so Moura was selected. Moura is not my choice either these days and I am probably his biggest fan.

We walked away from Burnley with a very disciplined win doing what Jose wanted. A good lesson for everyone including the supporters. And Top has a point, we won't win the title being high scoring cowboys every game.

We won't win by relying on good fortune either. (Their tactics were blindingly obvious before, during and after the game).

Our inability to stop conceeding so many chances because of our inability to combat their line up, their defence set up and their aggressive pressing is what concerned me.

It was for me at least not rocket science and I defy anyone to deny they weren't feeling increasingly frustrated as the game wore on.

That said, I don't want to be churlish; we won in difficult conditions, and we deserve credit for that...

but lets not kid ourselves we could easily have been talking today about how they were the better overall team and we were lucky to get the draw and perhaps deserved to get nothing from this match and when a lift up to the edge of top 4 was the reward, I think we could and should have done better.

You say a disciplined win, I think we were fortunate.

When we drew with Newcastle we were angry because we felt we should have won (and I include myself in that ), I don't recall anyone saying that we were unlucky. Same when we drew with W.H.U. win 1-0 away from home and all of a sudden we were fortunate.
That's the thing with football you don't always get what you deserve, personally I'd rather be lucky than Good.
The performance was very poor, but we won. We've played 11 games in 6 weeks, 4 if you take off the international weeks. It doesn't surprise me that we were below par, personally I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Lamela made a tackle which the ref didn't even see as a foul but the pundit (who was that fool?) was going ballistic that Lamela was reckless and high and the commentator joined in saying it was two footed. Neither man condemned Barnes in the first half.
I noticed that as well Tim , unbelievable commentary ! How Barnes escaped anything is beyond me , but “that is the way he is “ “”, “it’s his job “. , “he won’t complain when he gets it back” .... that’s what feel we get fed from Sky . Then that Pratt of an ex manure full back comes out with “ Harry Kane does the same , puts the elbow in ! “
Fucking hell. They get paid for talking like that !!

We sit currently after 6 games as the PL top scorers and equal third best defense...hands up those who thought we would be stating that before the season started....will it continue ?

🙋

Last edited by a moderator:
At the best of times it is difficult for even the best teams to play beautiful football against Burnley, and it particularly difficult when your FBs are incapable of attacking or crossing a ball properly, and in Doherty’s case even defending properly. As soon as play was switched wide when they were way up the pitch the whole momentum of the attack ground to a halt with backward passes or loss of possession....every time Burnley won the ball in defence it was a long hoof up to the the two thugs masquerading as footballers and the wrestling matches began...I think Toby was excellent, especially after being elbowed in the face....I noticed Sissoko gave Barnes a few taps after that.

For large periods I was reminded of Brian Cloughs observation that if football was supposed to be played in the air God would have given us wings....it was like a junior school game.....but, as Jose pointed out, he knew what to expect and he also knew how we performed like a bunch of Southern softies in these sort games year after year, so he picked a team for a physical fight and enough skill to win when the opportunity arrived, and it worked...job done and well done to all the lads who fought hard and showed grit to hat a result.

At the best of times it is difficult for even the best teams to play beautiful football against Burnley, and it particularly difficult when your FBs are incapable of attacking or crossing a ball properly, and in Doherty’s case even defending properly. As soon as play was switched wide when they were way up the pitch the whole momentum of the attack ground to a halt with backward passes or loss of possession....every time Burnley won the ball in defence it was a long hoof up to the the two thugs masquerading as footballers and the wrestling matches began...I think Toby was excellent, especially after being elbowed in the face....I noticed Sissoko gave Barnes a few taps after that.

For large periods I was reminded of Brian Cloughs observation that if football was supposed to be played in the air God would have given us wings....it was like a junior school game.....but, as Jose pointed out, he knew what to expect and he also knew how we performed like a bunch of Southern softies in these sort games year after year, so he picked a team for a physical fight and enough skill to win when the opportunity arrived, and it worked...job done and well done to all the lads who fought hard and showed grit to hat a result.

Great post!

As of right now, Aurier needs to be back, he at least does manage to stretch defences.

I think our right full-backs will improve when we have guys like Gio or Bale feeding them from the right. Right now, Doherty or Aurier have no chance with Sissoko and Moura. Sissoko is too clumsy and inaccurate with his close passing. Moura is too head down and wanting to be the furthest forward himself. That makes it impossible for Doherty to get to the byline. Gio will be good for our RB.s.

We should go in for Aarons in January. Aurier's energy, but more pace and definitely more quality on the ball.

If I was going into battle with Burnley one of the last players I'd want is Moura. Sissoko yeah.

Agreed Aurier does stretch defenses BUT then he either turns back and wastes the opportunity, or tries to cross and guess what. wastes the opportunity...