Players going forward | Page 15 | Vital Football

Players going forward

...... and have nobody actively trying to buy us, ............

Why do you just make thing up ?

If you said "those trying to sell us seem to be making slow progress with prospective buyers", then fine, I could agree.

The fact that no-one has yet presented the £100k matters not a jot. The dealer is still doling out the cards, and no-one has yet gone "all in"

What you said though is just plain wrong.

It is very worrying that the administrators are taking about us potentially still being in administration when the new season starts

Or, maybe it's comforting to know that if we don't get a buyer in beforehand, then at least the club isn't going to the wall.

FFS. This place is no good for one's mental health at the moment.

Why do you just make thing up ?

If you said "those trying to sell us seem to be making slow progress with prospective buyers", then fine, I could agree.

The fact that no-one has yet presented the £100k matters not a jot. The dealer is still doling out the cards, and no-one has yet gone "all in"

What you said though is just plain wrong.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Your definition of “trying to buy us” is different to my definition. Unlike you, I don’t accept time wasters as people “trying to buy us“. I actually think the administrators are talking bollocks and nobody is talking to them at all, they just can’t say it publicly for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
We’ll have to agree to disagree. You’re definition of “trying to buy us” is different to my definition. Unlike you, I don’t accept time wasters and talkers as people “trying to buy us“. I actually think the administrators are talking bollocks and nobody is talking to them at all, they just can’t say it publicly for obvious reasons.

My definition of "trying to buy us" is: submitted a bid in line with the sales proposal ... and ... still in active discussions with the Administrators.

Is there another definition?

I have no idea if any of those who submitted bids are "time wasters".

As for your final sentence .................. well if you're just going to make up what you believe to be true, it makes it rather difficult to debate things on a forum. You have your opinion, fair enough. But it's not really based on anything other than your own pessimism.

My definition of "trying to buy us" is: submitted a bid in line with the sales proposal ... and ... still in active discussions with the Administrators.

Is there another definition?

I have no idea if any of those who submitted bids are "time wasters".

As for your final sentence .................. well if you're just going to make up what you believe to be true, it makes it rather difficult to debate things on a forum. You have your opinion, fair enough. But it's not really based on anything other than your own pessimism.
Ask yourself this question. If anyone had actually submitted a bid for the club and showed guaranteed proof of funds, do you think we’d be selling three key assets for peanuts this week?

Ask yourself this question. If anyone had actually submitted a bid for the club and showed guaranteed proof of funds, do you think we’d be selling three key assets for peanuts this week?

They all had to show proof of funds.

Oh, and yes .......... in order to pay wages, until the new owner is in place.

How difficult is all of this to understand? It's all been mentioned umpteen times previously.

There were 5 bids for the club originally and another had come in since the original deadline which is also under consideration - this is all a matter of public record having been reported.

All bidders had to show proof of funds of £10m - again a reported and factual condition of bidding.

Nobody has yet put down the £100k non-refundable deposit for exclusivity as financial and commercial due diligence is ongoing. This may be a concern but certainly doesn’t mean that there are no bidders and it is likely that not all bidders have the option to put down a deposit as only the preferred bidder at any time would be invited to do so (almost certainly the highest bidder).

So far we’ve sold youngsters with potential and although Joffy would likely have had a large part to play next season and his loss hurts the delay hasn’t damaged us too greatly thus far. Robinson and Williams have release clauses that mean they’ll go regardless for low fees and then others would also naturally leave because we have been relegated.

Where I think it will damage us is if we go into next season without a new owner and manager and with key players sold. This is because I believe it will be unlikely for us to bring in even free agents and loan players whilst in admin as they won’t want to increase the wages with any new players which the owners may ultimately not want.

What concerns me is that all these so-called bidders are happy to see all the better players leave as they all seem to want the 6 million wiped. I may be wrong but that says to me that none of the bidders has "Any money " in the football sense. Any rich buyer would wipe the 6 mill and keep or sell the better players.

What concerns me is that all these so-called bidders are happy to see all the better players leave as they all seem to want the 6 million wiped. I may be wrong but that says to me that none of the bidders has "Any money " in the football sense. Any rich buyer would wipe the 6 mill and keep or sell the better players.
Exactly!

Surely, just because they aren't rich doesn't make them a "so-called" buyer.

Whether they bought the club right now or not, they wouldn't have been able to get any more for Robinson........ not without a bidding war, anyway. It was in his contract.

The kids had to go as they were the only ones wanted by Premier League clubs (who were the only ones we could sell to at the time).

As for not having "any money", as C_Latic was told, they've all shown proof of funds (£10m). Whether or not that's all they've got is another matter completely.

Has anybody seriously expected any "rich" bidders to try to buy us? We've had our one and only relatively rich owner. People have been saying as long as they have a club to support they don't mind. If it takes selling these players to tempt somebody to put themselves in a position to mean that the club continues so be it.

Wigan Athletic aren't attractive to anybody but Wigan Athletic supporters or businessmen/conmen trying to get rich(er) quick(er).

Last edited:
I’d rather have a sustainably run club (think Brentford) with a long-term plan to move back up the leagues Gradually than another “get to the premier league quick for cheap“ moron who doesn’t understand football like the last lot and then panics and liquidates when it does

It is imperative now to slash the wage bill anyway with the wage cap coming in as otherwise we’ll be back in a mess once the players contracts run out in 1 or 2 years and they start counting towards the cap.

Obviously I’d love us to come flying back into the championship first try and then to be challenging for promotion to PL again, but I just want there to be a Wigan I can go to support and even if it means a few seasons in L1 again before building to a challenge again then I’ll count myself lucky to be there watching whoever is wearing that blue and white shirt and cheering them on.

We need to crack on with getting these players sold and the new owners in. Teams n our league started pre-season last week and have already played a couple of friendlies. Swindon are well into pre-season now. Third friendly this Saturday. We start pre-season training today not even knowing if the players taking part will be with us in a few weeks time. We will effectively be playing with a points deduction this season as we’ll be so far behind the other teams in terms of preparation - if we still have a club!
Our pre season wouldn't be much different than any of the last two ten.
Difference is other clubs haven't played since games were stopped.

Potential buyers may be holding back, precisely because debts have to be cleared and wages are due ...and given all the customers are ’locked out until further notice’ no short term prospect of any income beyond player sales....there’s never been a worse time to buy a club.

Of course they are going to have to take on responsibility for these ongoing costs at some point if they are serious but it likely suits them for Admin to hack away at the liabilities as far as they can before they commit....probably leading to a ‘last minute job’ ...not good for any of our nerves obviously!

Hanging on for the ‘best money‘ is easier said than done in this environment even if there was an owner in place ...because short of the truly elite player level ....the market is buggered because the pandemic means more clubs are more skint than ever and more players than ever will be released including some decent ones ....all of this will deflate prices at the lower end of the market ....which is exactly where we and our player assets are.
’Perfect fecking storm’ unfortunately

Now why would anyone do that after a few weeks ownership? This just stinks to hell and the EFL found this fella to be fit and proper to own and run a football club. Words fail!!

If we had the answer to that question Jeff we could all probably understand the situation, however we will probably never know the reasoning behind their actions but will have to live with the consequences for a long time to come.