So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 19 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And for sure that is where my attitude, put up or shut up comes from. Seen the talk a lot of times, now for me, we have a platform, fine I wasn't waxing lyrical about the way we did it, but done now... NOW show us. No more talk, just action.

If not, I'll settle for what I fear we might have become ... I say settle, I mean I'll probably forever moan about what we could have been but slightly less passionately as each season passes!
Stop kidding us Fear, you'll never lose the passion, and in fact it will increase as the years pass. You'll just become more bitter... :lol:

I see your point, but money-spent is only part of the equation, and let's not lose sight of where we were 12 months ago, and just as importantly 2-3 years ago. Foundation made out of quick-sand and all that.... I don't agree with everything Smith has said, but he's spot on in saying that we just had to build a brand new team after getting promoted with a team made up mostly of loanees and over-30's..... Taking Wolves as the example, they've been building a foundation for the past 3-4 years and adding quality as they go... They had the core of a decent side before they were even promoted, same as Sheffield Utd. We didn't.
I totally agree with everything you've said and what Dean Smith said too. But last season is done, this summer if we spend 150m, we need to build on the base of Heaton, Konsa, Mings, Douglas, McGinn, Grealish and start aiming much higher than the Crystal Palaces and Burnleys of this world.

It's some weird alternative universe where Wolves are seen as a bigger club than Aston Villa. We need to spend the money, spend it right and then hope the coaching staff (who I have total faith in, they've done a great job getting us to this stage to even be talking about this) can get a team together that can win the majority of our games next season.

Those so-so clubs that people are talking about are scraping a living spending 30-40m a summer. If we quadruple that figure there's no way in hell that finishing amongst them is a success.

We need 4 things for that to be successful and it requires being more of the team we were for the last 10 games.

1. Keep Grealish
2. Sign a Quality Striker
3. Have a watertight defence
4. Dean Smith to do something he has never really done, consistently get draws.

Wolves are solid and difficult to beat. Wolves have a central midfield partnership that is Champions League quality and a backline that is almost defensively as a good as anyones.

I totally agree with everything you've said and what Dean Smith said too. But last season is done, this summer if we spend 150m, we need to build on the base of Heaton, Konsa, Mings, Douglas, McGinn, Grealish and start aiming much higher than the Crystal Palaces and Burnleys of this world.

It's some weird alternative universe where Wolves are seen as a bigger club than Aston Villa. We need to spend the money, spend it right and then hope the coaching staff (who I have total faith in, they've done a great job getting us to this stage to even be talking about this) can get a team together that can win the majority of our games next season.
I'll go out on a limb and say we won't spend that kind of money. We know the owners can afford it, but I just can't see them sanctioning the purchase of a player or two in the Robinho / Ravanelli category. I do think they'll spend on what they see as the "right" players, probably somewhere in the 80-100 million (total) range.
Wolves are most definitely not seen as a "bigger" club btw..... they just happen to have enjoyed a couple of decent seasons, are better than us in this moment in time, and have managed to attract a couple of established Portuguese internationals, be that through the Mendes connection or brown bags full of cash at Strensham Services, who knows...?

These days a big club is someone with a PL standard and sized stadium plus a stupidly rich owner. That's it. You can buy "prestige" over the course of a few seasons with a few hundred million pounds.

I know Wolves doing well is irritating beyond belief but we don't want to try and "do a Wolves", "do a Leicester" or anyone else but progress in a meaningful but sustainable way that's based on our own circumstances. I think talk of 10th is setting ourselves up for potential disappointment. I want to see tangible improvement on and off the pitch and the club to show its committment to its own statements and that *should* mean a decent few places up the table. However football is insane, and we could have a much improved season but freak occurrences see us only 4 or 5 places better off than we are now and I'd rather be pleasantly surprised against my expectations than seriously disappointed.

The Evertons, West Hams, Crystal Palaces etc are all beatable, I don't see any reason why we can't push up the table. But IMHO, the most important thing for me is structured organised football with our own brand. How many games did we not "show up" last season? Many, many games we had 20-30% possession, couldn't keep the ball.

The league position will result from better football with fewer mistakes.

Success is therefore unearthing a couple of gems, working hard and truly competing against those from 5th downwards, getting some results against the big 6, becoming a team that people are excited to watch and talk about, literally more column inches.

Being able to muster more than a goal a game and having a mean defence is what moves you up the table.

Think of where teams would be if they were more difficult to play against e.g. Arsenal. Just look at our final 10 games. Its similar with Palace, I think they started off great but started trailing because they don't offer a threat. Thats why they can't sell Zaha.

We just need to find our balance, we've played 80% of last season with 10 because we've had no threat upfront. Grealish was so dangerous he nearly made up the extra man.

If Wolves can get promoted and sign six or seven decent players and compete for europe, the least we can expect in season two is the same. Our squad was nowhere near as strong as Wolves' was when they came up so last season was a free pass. This season, if we spend the money, there's no excuses. Those so-so clubs that people are talking about are scraping a living spending 30-40m a summer. If we quadruple that figure there's no way in hell that finishing amongst them is a success.

Wolves came up with a strong squad with some decent talent in it, however their single biggest asset and reason why they are where they are is Nuno. He imprinted his style of play in no time at all and has the whole team well drilled to execute it. They are as a result very very hard to beat in the first instance, and then more than capable of beating the top sides.

Throwing money at it by itself won’t work. Yes we need experience and quality, but we also need to see something like a system being employed to fit the right players to.

Wolves came up with a strong squad with some decent talent in it, however their single biggest asset and reason why they are where they are is Nuno. He imprinted his style of play in no time at all and has the whole team well drilled to execute it. They are as a result very very hard to beat in the first instance, and then more than capable of beating the top sides.

Throwing money at it by itself won’t work. Yes we need experience and quality, but we also need to see something like a system being employed to fit the right players to.
Their biggest asset was a team of champions league standard Portuguese players that knew each other well versus the likes of Trezeguet and Wesley who came from crappy leagues and didnt even speak the same language.

Nuno failed at every other club he's been at and has been sacked from every other job he had. Dean Smith has never been sacked. Our coaching staff aren't the problem, we just need higher calibre players.

Their biggest asset was a team of champions league standard Portuguese players that knew each other well versus the likes of Trezeguet and Wesley who came from crappy leagues and didnt even speak the same language.

Nuno failed at every other club he's been at and has been sacked from every other job he had. Dean Smith has never been sacked. Our coaching staff aren't the problem, we just need higher calibre players.

Fucking hell you’re a deluded one eyed fanboy for St Dean 😂

Nuno is a proper coach of the highest quality, anyone with a brain in their head can see the difference he’s made to Wolves, over and above the players.

But no St Dean has never been sacked so he must be better 🤣🤣🤣

If Dean was half the coach that Nuno is I’d be very happy indeed, but his car crash last year has not been swept away or forgotten just because of the last 4 games.

Yeah Dean’s a coaching genius, cos relying on ‘give it to Jack’ and constantly swearing from the technical area is the true sign of a legendary coaching talent 🤣🤣🤣

Fucking hell you’re a deluded one eyed fanboy for St Dean 😂

Nuno is a proper coach of the highest quality, anyone with a brain in their head can see the difference he’s made to Wolves, over and above the players.

But no St Dean has never been sacked so he must be better 🤣🤣🤣

If Dean was half the coach that Nuno is I’d be very happy indeed, but his car crash last year has not been swept away or forgotten just because of the last 4 games.

Yeah Dean’s a coaching genius, cos relying on ‘give it to Jack’ and constantly swearing from the technical area is the true sign of a legendary coaching talent 🤣🤣🤣
So the champions league quality players had nothing to do with it? It was all down to the genius of a 47 year old ex goalkeeper who was sacked from his last two jobs after less than 2 years at each?

You're getting all excited over a 3-4-3 formation? What an absolute genius that man is!

So the champions league quality players had nothing to do with it? It was all down to the genius of a 47 year old ex goalkeeper who was sacked from his last two jobs after less than 2 years at each?

Learn to read - ‘over and above the players’

You’re the one who thinks Tammy is going to ‘easily’ score 200 goals in the Premier League so I’m sorry but your judgement on anything to do with football is not worth anything. The fact that you die in a ditch over some bloke from Great Barr who’s claim to fame is his time at Brentford- who improved when he left! 🤣

Learn to read - ‘over and above the players’

You’re the one who thinks Tammy is going to ‘easily’ score 200 goals in the Premier League so I’m sorry but your judgement on anything to do with football is not worth anything. The fact that you die in a ditch over some bloke from Great Barr who’s claim to fame is his time at Brentford- who improved when he left! 🤣
I'd say his claim to fame is taking over Aston Villa while they're sat in 14th, breaking 150 year old records of one of the most successful clubs in world football to get them promoted against all odds, keeping that club in the premier league against all odds again, taking that club to a league cup final against all odds.

Some lad that was sacked in his last two jobs with top tier clubs in inferior leagues abroad and had to take a championship job in Wolverhampton would probably do a better job though!

Tammy could well go on to score 200 league goals. I'm rarely wrong.

I'd say his claim to fame is taking over Aston Villa while they're sat in 14th, breaking 150 year old records of one of the most successful clubs in world football to get them promoted against all odds, keeping that club in the premier league against all odds again, taking that club to a league cup final against all odds.

Some lad that was sacked in his last two jobs with top tier clubs in inferior leagues abroad and had to take a championship job in Wolverhampton would probably do a better job though!

Tammy could well go on to score 200 league goals. I'm rarely wrong.

More one eyed nonsense!

Im amazed you haven’t been banned for constant trolling 😂

Th
We need 4 things for that to be successful and it requires being more of the team we were for the last 10 games.

1. Keep Grealish
2. Sign a Quality Striker
3. Have a watertight defence
4. Dean Smith to do something he has never really done, consistently get draws.

Wolves are solid and difficult to beat. Wolves have a central midfield partnership that is Champions League quality and a backline that is almost defensively as a good as anyones.
To keep Jack we need to sign a quality striker. Would the Brentford duo satisfy Jack? No! Tammy at 40m perhaps. If Jack is for champions League, we could go for Tammy and the Brentwood pair.

So Nuno was sacked from every other job he's had. Or Nuno was sacked from his last two jobs. Which is it? Neither. Fake news. Nuno was sacked from his last job, Porto, for only coming second in the league. That's it.

Wolves/Mendez were ambitious in signing not just Nuno but the players to go with him. But without Nuno it wouldn't have worked. Top coach.

So Nuno was sacked from every other job he's had. Or Nuno was sacked from his last two jobs. Which is it? Neither. Fake news. Nuno was sacked from his last job, Porto, for only coming second in the league. That's it.

Wolves/Mendez were ambitious in signing not just Nuno but the players to go with him. But without Nuno it wouldn't have worked. Top coach.

If someone can’t see that Nuno is a much better coach than Smith then there’s something very wrong 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.