Current Squad: June 2020 | Page 10 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

As the new squad emerges, the worries about lack of experience and need for old heads has been raised. The recruitment of Liam Bridcutt will no doubt settle some nerves but still the “you win nothing with kids” line has been quoted quite a lot.
Ironically of course it is only a famous quote because Alan Hanson was wrong, Man Utd won plenty with the class of 92.

But how relevant is that to Lincoln - have we just recruited a Paul Scholes, Gary Neville or David Beckham... probably not... but hopefully a L1 equivalent or two.

Our aim is to produce young players who will develop into a side competing at the top end of L1, possibly dreaming of a tilt into the Championship.

If you are in your 50’s you will almost certainly recall the last time we were contemplating getting into the second level of English Football.
One more goal away at Fulham in May 1982 would have made that dream a reality.

I thought it might be worth considering what that squad was like, to see what the make up of that team was. How many Bridcutts, Eardleys and Bostwicks they had.

Well in terms of quality... probably better... the vast majority when things turned sour behind the scenes, left to appear in what would now be the Premier League.
So to state the obvious they had the quality and only time will tell if we can find the same quality now.

However, what about the age of that squad.. well if you look at it we have already gone wrong this year by recruiting a 30 something. They had none.

At the start of the 1981-82 season the age of the players that eventually walked out the following May in front of over 20,000 at Craven Cottage was as Follows

Felgate 21
Neale 24
Carr 27
Peake 24
Thompson 26
Shipley 22
Turner 20
Hibberd 19
Cockerill 22
Hobson 24
Cunningham 24

Now it by no means follows that having a young side is an easy route to success or within touching distance of it, at least.

But for all those yearning for a team of old codgers, the quality of the player rather than their age, is usually the most important ingredient.

As the new squad emerges, the worries about lack of experience and need for old heads has been raised. The recruitment of Liam Bridcutt will no doubt settle some nerves but still the “you win nothing with kids” line has been quoted quite a lot.
Ironically of course it is only a famous quote because Alan Hanson was wrong, Man Utd won plenty with the class of 92.

But how relevant is that to Lincoln - have we just recruited a Paul Scholes, Gary Neville or David Beckham... probably not... but hopefully a L1 equivalent or two.

Our aim is to produce young players who will develop into a side competing at the top end of L1, possibly dreaming of a tilt into the Championship.

If you are in your 50’s you will almost certainly recall the last time we were contemplating getting into the second level of English Football.

I thought it might be worth considering what that squad was like, to see what the make up of that team was. How many Bridcutts, Eardleys and Bostwicks they had.

Well in terms of quality... probably better... the vast majority when things turned sour behind the scenes, left to appear in what would now be the Premier League.
So to state the obvious they had the quality and only time will tell if we can find the same quality now.

However, what about the age of that squad.. well if you look at it we have already gone wrong this year by recruiting a 30 something. They had none.

At the start of the 1981-82 season the age of the players that eventually walked out the following May in front of over 20,000 at Craven Cottage was as Follows

Felgate 21
Neale 24
Carr 27
Peake 24
Thompson 26
Shipley 22
Turner 20
Hibberd 19
Cockerill 22
Hobson 24
Cunningham 24

Now it by no means follows that having a young side is an easy route to success or within touching distance of it, at least.

But for all those yearning for a team of old codgers, the quality of the player rather than their age, is usually the most important ingredient.

Of course safety will be the first target, but if it is anything like that incredible 81/82 side, then we will be chasing a playoff place as a minimum. How exciting!

Here's a little update on experience:

Liam Bridcutt (DM) 323 appearances
Cian Bolger (CB) 275
Tom Hopper (CF) 196
Harry Anderson (W) 186
James Jones (CM) 185
Conor McGrandles (AM) 179
Jorge Grant (AM/W) 171
Lewis Montsma (CB) 99 in Dutch football

We appear to have plenty of experience down the spine now - the two centre-backs, the entire midfield and Hopper. The only places in the side currently with limited experience are in goal and the two full-backs. I think Lewis is good enough regardless, leaving only the goalkeeper and left-back with a question mark.

Felgate 21
Neale 24
Carr 27

Agree with your last point, but re the ages you've given, I thought Phil Neale was older than that so I checked the Nannestads' Who's Who:

Phil Neale was 27 and David Carr was 24, so the other way around to the ages you gave.

David Felgate was 22

Be interesting to see how we line up, no wingers signed and not been mentioned, plenty of centre mids. Can’t help but think we will go either 433 or 352. However, need a couple of centre half’s for the later.

Agree with your last point, but re the ages you've given, I thought Phil Neale was older than that so I checked the Nannestads' Who's Who:

Phil Neale was 27 and David Carr was 24, so the other way around to the ages you gave.

David Felgate was 22

I will let my research team know

Be interesting to see how we line up, no wingers signed and not been mentioned, plenty of centre mids. Can’t help but think we will go either 433 or 352. However, need a couple of centre half’s for the later.
I thought that his morning as well.

I had it in my head that MA was a 4-4-2 man, but there's been a real lack of rumours on wide players. Still room in the squad for some but if none of the next two or three signings are, then it'd point to the FB's, or maybe win-backs, being the focal point of wide play.

Zach and Harry are the only two at the minute (I know Grant plays wide but plays more inside).

I thought that his morning as well.

I had it in my head that MA was a 4-4-2 man, but there's been a real lack of rumours on wide players. Still room in the squad for some but if none of the next two or three signings are, then it'd point to the FB's, or maybe win-backs, being the focal point of wide play.

Zach and Harry are the only two at the minute (I know Grant plays wide but plays more inside).
I wouldn't rule out HA playing as a wing back. I seem to recall P'boro viewing him as such and he certainly played as a makeshift RB for both DC and MAPP.

The in depth article on Bridcutt on his signing thread suggested he plays best in front of the back 4 in a 433. Put Jones and McGrandles as the more advanced midfielders gives a natural front 3 of Anderson, Hopper and Grant. Works for me.

Felgate 21
Neale 24
Carr 27
Peake 24
Thompson 26
Shipley 22
Turner 20
Hibberd 19
Cockerill 22
Hobson 24
Cunningham 24

Interesting post. Some of those ages surprise me. Cockerill and Shipley 22 ! Just goes to show you - moustaches and perms......they make you look older

The in depth article on Bridcutt on his signing thread suggested he plays best in front of the back 4 in a 433. Put Jones and McGrandles as the more advanced midfielders gives a natural front 3 of Anderson, Hopper and Grant. Works for me.

Scully will be starting most games. Harry might have another battle on his hands for a starting spot

Scully will be starting most games. Harry might have another battle on his hands for a starting spot
I'd sort of assumed young Scully would be an impact sub, and a compressed fixture list will necessitate a degree of squad rotation, and a healthy shot of competition for places.

Listened to Michael Appletons interview yesterday. No more departures, squad stands at 17, 2 of them not first team ready, looking at a squad of 21/22 . Will be 4or 5 more in, including loans. We can all speculate on whats needed. My view is an experienced keeper and a centre half are essential, then possibly looking at another striker, full back and one other.