Manchester City-Real Madrid Champions League Last 16 2 Post Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Manchester City-Real Madrid Champions League Last 16 2 Post Match Thread

The biased Mirror has it's go.

City: Ederson 7, Walker 7, Fernandinho 6, Laporte 6, Cancelo 6, Rodrigo 7, Gundogan 7, De Bruyne 8, Foden 7, Sterling 7, Jesus 8.

Substitutes B Silva (Foden 67, 6), D Silva (Sterling 81, 6), Otamendi (Rodri 89).

It would be laughable but as with the ‘Independent’ we know that the days of truly dispassionate, professional, unbiased reporting is a thing largely of the past. Unable to give credit where it is due, they simply retreat into their partisan bunker and pour their bitterness into their keyboards. 😡

Opta stats
  • Manchester City's victory marks the first time an English side have won both legs in a Champions League knockout tie against Spanish opposition since 2008/09, when Liverpool won 5-0 on aggregate against Real Madrid.
  • Real Madrid have been eliminated before the quarter-finals in consecutive Champions League campaigns for the first time since 2009/10 - they had reached at least the semi-finals in each of the eight seasons between 2010/11 and 2017/18.
  • Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is the third individual to eliminate Real Madrid in the knockout stages of the Champions League on more than one occasion, along with Marcello Lippi (1995/96, 2002/03) and Ottmar Hitzfeld (2000/01, 2006/07).
  • Zinedine Zidane was eliminated from a Champions League knockout tie for the first time as Real Madrid manager, having progressed from each of the previous 12.
  • In their 76th Champions League match, Manchester City scored their 150th and conceded their 100th goal in the competition - the fastest to both figures for any English side in the competition.

They - the uk football media - couldn’t perhaps, maybe focus on the positives from this result for (probably*) the last Premier League representatives in the competition?

Oh.....and how many mention this was achieved without Agüero? And with young Phil Foden starting?

*Apologies to Chelsea fans but I doubt even the most optimistic are expecting them to win 0-4 against Bayern Munich in the Allianz.......

For a good, detailed tactical analysis check out Michael Brown’s article. I am surprised that the BBC didn’t spike it.

In a nutshell this is the message that should be more constant in the media:-

Yes, they made some bad errors, including for both of City's goals, but that was because they were never allowed to settle down.”

It is typical of the laziness and blinkers within so much of the media landscape that they tout the line that the defensive mistakes ‘came out of nowhere’ whereas they were the result of hard work all over the pitch. And Jesus’s work in creating the first and scoring the second should be lauded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53698031

To provide balance they continue to spout the main editorial ‘damning with faint praise’ line elsewhere though. Their Football Daily podcast is titled “A Manchester City masterclass, but was that the Real Madrid”. I haven listened. Can’t be asked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08n2fvc

It would be laughable but as with the ‘Independent’ we know that the days of truly dispassionate, professional, unbiased reporting is a thing largely of the past. Unable to give credit where it is due, they simply retreat into their partisan bunker and pour their bitterness into their keyboards. 😡
It's true of all media today, it shouldn't be surprising.:(

I was about to say What the Actual F*ck..........until I did some research in the author, ‘freelance’ ‘journalist’ Karl Matchett. Check out his background on his LinkedIn profile. Studied at John Moore’s University in Liverpool; nearly six years as La Liga correspondent for the Bleacher Report and perhaps most telling of all.......currently (4+ yrs) reporting for This is Anfield. One might suspect that working for The Independent is an oxymoron.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/karlmatchett

You need to get out more...

Assuming we get past Lyon🤞, I wonder who we’ll get in the semis. I hope it’s Barcelona but I fear it’ll be the german rags.

Just a point which I read recently, that it is noticeable with teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona don't get beaten, they simply lose
There are always multiple excuses put up for their defeats - as with our victory being portrayed as down to mistakes by Varrane alone where you would think he put the ball in his own net twice. Had that harrying for the first goal and the scoring of the second been Dr Marcus Rashnaldo he would have been hailed as a World Class striker and the result would have been lauded as a tactical masterclass orchestrated by Oily. 🙄

There are always multiple excuses put up for their defeats - as with our victory being portrayed as down to mistakes by Varrane alone where you would think he put the ball in his own net twice. Had that harrying for the first goal and the scoring of the second been Dr Marcus Rashnaldo he would have been hailed as a World Class striker and the result would have been lauded as a tactical masterclass orchestrated by Oily. 🙄
Or any Dipper would be classed as 'forcing the defender to make the error'

I’m sorry...........I could only get to the 5 minute mark (& I skipped a bit even then) before my nausea got the better of me 🤢🤮 I think it was Nicol’s “I don’t want to take it away from Kevin De Bruyne”.........which was the final straw. You just know that both him and the other muppet, Davey ‘Downplay City’ Proven, would have been waxing lyrical about Klopp and his players had The Untouchables dumped thirteen times Champions League winners out of the competition.

You have to play what is in front of you and, profligacy aside, the job was done. Not beating Real Madrid by 5 or 6 goals is not a reasonable benchmark.

Just re-watched the highlights..........

It was definitely a penalty when Carvajal challenged Sterling in the 72nd minute. Carvajal’s left leg trips Sterling just before he touches the ball with his right foot. It is fractional but it remains a foul and should have been a penalty.

Thankfully it was not critical........but it’s might have been.

My question is why was that NOT overturned by VAR? 🤔

They - the uk football media - couldn’t perhaps, maybe focus on the positives from this result for (probably*) the last Premier League representatives in the competition?

Oh.....and how many mention this was achieved without Agüero? And with young Phil Foden starting?

Online articles that I read plus those in print following the game mentioned both Aguero's absence plus Fodens unfamiliar role in the team.