Possible Summer Transfer Targets | Page 10 | Vital Football

Possible Summer Transfer Targets

Well you're not going to find clips of him running with the ball unless he scores, but he often does, and often scores from distance too.

Until this season he was a winger, so of course older highlights will show him running with the ball more. He doesn't do it much now he is played as a central striker and we wouldn't play him as a winger if we were to sign him.

And BTW, McBurnie and McGoldrick would have missed most of those 6 yard tap ins

Given the amount of goals they both got the last time they were in the Championship then of course they wouldn't. Don't be silly. If anything, that adds to my reluctance for us to sign Watkins; that kind of space is rarely available behind PL defenders, so it is much harder for strikers of that nature to score goals.

Until this season he was a winger, so of course older highlights will show him running with the ball more. He doesn't do it much now he is played as a central striker and we wouldn't play him as a winger if we were to sign him.

Given the amount of goals they both got the last time they were in the Championship then of course they wouldn't. Don't be silly. If anything, that adds to my reluctance for us to sign Watkins; that kind of space is rarely available behind PL defenders, so it is much harder for strikers of that nature to score goals.

It's always a risk buying players from a division below, but plenty of players make the step up. I don't see why Watkins can't do it.

He has pace, power, strength, energy, he's unpredictable, direct and he makes stuff happen.
Everything that none of our forwards do

It's always a risk buying players from a division below, but plenty of players make the step up. I don't see why Watkins can't do it.

He has pace, power, strength, energy, he's unpredictable, direct and he makes stuff happen.

To be fair Moose does that very well. Unfortunately a game lasts 90 minutes plus, not 5.

It's always a risk buying players from a division below, but plenty of players make the step up. I don't see why Watkins can't do it

There isn't a reason why he can't, but that also doesn't automatically mean that he will. We need to sign 7 or 8 players this summer, and the most significant outlays will be up front and in goal. We need to make sure that we are getting value for money, so I would rather that we try and sign a proven PL scorer before we take an expensive gamble. If Watkins is the best that we can get, then so be it. I'll clap the lad on and off the pitch, assuming I can go to a game at some point...

So do Josh King and Karlan Grant. They have both done it in the top flight before as well and are available for the same sort of money as Watkins. Possibly even less, as there is now some doubt about a release clause, so Brentford are looking for £25m rather than £18m!

Also, with the exception of the word "energy", that sentence describes Mousset quite well.

Surely there's better value on the continent if they're looking for 20 million+ ?
CW/AK wanted Watkins when he was at Exeter: Knill going as far to describe him as the best technical player outside of the premier league in an interview. Lolley and Watkins are the two big misses for us due to the penny pinching board. If memory serves, Lolley was available for about 700k; Watkins for around 1.5 million. Still, it's further evidence that we have eyes on the right players.

Would 100% rather look abroad than play Brentford's game with the silly values.

What's a little concerning is that we've not been linked with any forward who'd challenge McBurnie as our (closest thing to a) target man - and recent indications suggest we need one. I hope we don't plan on relying on him too much.

There are a number of good options posted in this thread who'd challenge and probably upgrade on him.

These all offer similar things (as well as quite a bit extra in one way or another):

Guirassy (strength, pace and skill)
Muriqi (physicality and technique, left foot)
Petkovic (flair, dribbling and unpredictability)
Budimir (strength and skill, left foot)
Gregoritsch (creativity, link play and long shots, left foot)
Cornelius (strength and dominance, left foot)

These types of CF usually get better as they get older too so there's potentially some real value there.

As I posted previously McBurnie and Mousset just aren't up it and if we don't get at least one better quality CF we could really struggle. There have been many suggestions on this post but all seem to be above our budget. Of course other teams are fishing in the same pool and selling clubs know this so hold the upper hand. Of those mentioned Watkins seems to fit the bill but not at any price. The trouble with signing lower cost continentals is that they often take a time to settle in. Witness what many thought of Berge at first.

As I posted previously McBurnie and Mousset just aren't up it and if we don't get at least one better quality CF we could really struggle. There have been many suggestions on this post but all seem to be above our budget. Of course other teams are fishing in the same pool and selling clubs know this so hold the upper hand. Of those mentioned Watkins seems to fit the bill but not at any price. The trouble with signing lower cost continentals is that they often take a time to settle in. Witness what many thought of Berge at first.

The vast majority of continentals take a while to settle in - the most obvious case being Drogba who was useless for the first season and look how he turned out.

It must be a nightmare adapting to the pace of play over here.

Agree re M&M however if they work hard they will improve - not sure Mousset will, but McBurnie improved as the season went on and if he works on his first touch he will be a better player again - don't write him off yet.

Ideally we need 2 quality strikers for example any 2 from King, Dennnis and Watkins. However in true Blades budget style we will probably only get one of them.
If that is the case we could do worse then getting Tyrese Campbell from Stoke as a cheaper second option. He still needs work but is young and can be a real handful. He would be the perfect back up to Moussett. Rather that than stick with Sharp and McGoldrick who will score very few goals between them.

I think Cakir is imminent.

What name can we give him......

How about 'Catcher'? Quite apt, no? Unless he punches too often.

No, no, no they dont' PR
Don't you understand the game by now ?

A better placed club comes along, offers a pittance, player has a dicky fit if it's refused, sulks, creates a bad atmosphere, and the entire club falls to pieces.
McCabe told us

Brentford have to sell, they quite simply have to, were better than them and Watkins will bring the entire club down if they don't accept our offer of £1 million and a sell on

No, no, no they dont' PR
Don't you understand the game by now ?

A better placed club comes along, offers a pittance, player has a dicky fit if it's refused, sulks, creates a bad atmosphere, and the entire club falls to pieces.
McCabe told us

Brentford have to sell, they quite simply have to, were better than them and Watkins will bring the entire club down if they don't accept our offer of £1 million and a sell on
I wonder if Mr McCabe got blamed when our club agreed to sell the late gr8 Jimmy Hagan to the oinkers? :innocent: UTMPB

MnM I can see your version of the scenario but I didn't think you always believed what McCabe said. The other version runs like this . A player has a 3 year contract, first year plays so so, second year has a much better season and demands a big pay rise because he thinks is better than he is, which is refused so the agent's eyes light up, run down your contract and then move on. that way the receiving club does't pay a transfer fee you get a big signing on fee a ,rise in wages, as a as agent i will get a fee. A win win situation.
I can'think how I came up with this version.!

When they offered £35,000 for him or whatever it was McCabe would have chucked three more of our first team into the deal just in case they changed their minds
:giggle: Poor owd Mr McCabe,i used to think us BLADES always looked after each other,but it appears not anymore.UTMPB