Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Page 24 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

If you are looking at loans, returnees I expect to be John-Jules and Coventry. Bridcutt is now without a club ( I assume though I haven't checked Forest's released list) so he would have to be a permanent signing and then you are into the unknown budgets question

Bridcutt has been mentioned a few times, from what I saw last season, he enjoyed playing for us. Obvious quality, used his experience well to gee up those around him.
I'd hope we are/have been exploring the possibility of getting him back.

Anyway, according to MA one permanent and one loan to come this week, then a couple more next week.

The most likely two I think are John Jules and Coventry. Both have plenty of potential and would be good acquisitions. Would be very happy with Bridcutt who would be the obvious captain but doubt we could afford his wages. Morrell and Walker, not a hope in hell. Eyoma well we have nothing to go on but he must have a decent Spurs schooling. Hesketh, I think people have written j him off a bit harshly. However he did have plenty of chances and was certainly erratic.

That jordy hiwula who keep being linked with on the rumour sites has signed for someone tonight.

Jake Taylor from Forest is likely to be joining a League One club on loan according to the Port Vale manager. He impressed in League 2 last season. We could be interested...

Whilst I respect everyone’s opinion on Lewis, I’m yet to be convinced.

Eardley and Toffolo are arguably the best full backs we’ve had in the nigh on 30 years I’ve been going, to predict Lewis has any chance of emulating that based on 4/5 appearances seems a little far fetched.

I’m all for untapped potential, but I’m also conscious of unseen potential. Any player is phenomenal and the next best thing until they’ve played a decent chunk of games!

Eardley and Toffolo are arguably the best full backs we’ve had in the nigh on 30 years I’ve been going, to predict Lewis has any chance of emulating that based on 4/5 appearances seems a little far fetched.

I’m all for untapped potential, but I’m also conscious of unseen potential. Any player is phenomenal and the next best thing until they’ve played a decent chunk of games!

There is little to be convinced from. He has only played a handful of games.

The only thing for sure is we need to make enough “bets” on potentially good players, so that some/enough of them may come off.

We were sure to have have an excellent right back had we kept Eardley, (and a very solid centre half had we kept Bostwick).

However, we were also sure to have a player that was only likely to be coming ever closer to the end of his career and of little or no value in the transfer market.

If you go back three years you could well argue we would have been in a better position now if instead of buying Bostwick, we had bought Dickie instead of taking on a loan (with a view to buy).

Had we done that we would have been looking to sell a player for a couple of million not letting a 30+ favourite go for nothing.

It’s the plan and a plan is unlikely to succeed if you don’t follow it.

It may fail but the rewards should it succeed would give us an exciting future.

I am a sad as anyone to see Eardley go, your rating of him is spot on.

We are asking Appleton not to turn water into wine but certainly to know how to pick a good bunch of fresh grapes and turn that into wine.

Let’s give him time and hope he can.

Last edited:

Agreed it's unfair to judge a player on a few appearances, but what we've seen of Lewis so far is highly promising - no nonsense defensively, creative going forward - think of that ball in which led to Bruno's volley v Everton. Right from that first match at Huddersfield, you could see that he was a cut above any of the shadow defence played at Blackburn the year before, for example.

No one (unless mildy delusional) would say Lewis is up there with Eardley and Toffolo; most would say from the evidence so far is the potential is there. The forthcoming season will be the test of that, he should get an extended run which will reveal if he is capable of achieving the consistency to go with that promise, then we can say if he's a good 'un - or not. I'm hopeful.

Jake Taylor from Forest is likely to be joining a League One club on loan according to the Port Vale manager. He impressed in League 2 last season. We could be interested...
Pretty sure we went after him in January as well, but he chose to go back to Port Vale for the second half of the season.