Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Page 21 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

Well and truly cleared the decks if Payne and Coker are leaving.

Incredibly light so anticipating a busy 2/3 weeks with incomings. Would expect 6/7 if we wish to be competitive.

Squad wise we look ‘nice’ at the moment.
That would leave us with only five Cowley signings (Anderson, Bolger, Adebayo-Smith, Bradley and Grant), less than a year after they left. Very quick turnover.

That would leave us with only five Cowley signings (Anderson, Bolger, Adebayo-Smith, Bradley and Grant), less than a year after they left. Very quick turnover.

And Lewis. But yes, a very big change none the less...3 first teamers remain.

I think he meant 'nice' as in not a particularly physical or streetwise one, which I'd agree with a little.

In Bolger, Melbourne and Hopper we have some physicality in the side and the likes of Lewis and Scully seem to want to put themselves about a bit but I don't currently look at us and think we'd be able to stand up to a Gillingham type side if they bombarded us.

Gutted that Bostwick won't be coming back, but can understand the reasoning behind it – age, wages, injuries, etc... Now he's definitely gone, he can certainly be placed in the 'legend' category. As can Eardley.

Lewis should prove an excellent replacement for Eardley, but not sure who can come in and offer as much presence as Bozzie did.

As Scotimp says, Appleton really is clearing the decks of Cowley players. I have always wondered why managers usually never tend to 'fancy' the players they have inherited. Is it an ego thing?

Gutted that Bostwick won't be coming back, but can understand the reasoning behind it – age, wages, injuries, etc... Now he's definitely gone, he can certainly be placed in the 'legend' category. As can Eardley.

Lewis should prove an excellent replacement for Eardley, but not sure who can come in and offer as much presence as Bozzie did.

As Scotimp says, Appleton really is clearing the decks of Cowley players. I have always wondered why managers usually never tend to 'fancy' the players they have inherited. Is it an ego thing?
The only two I can think of in recent times who kept it pretty consistent were Schofield taking over KA's side and Cowley kept most of the players her inherited initially, he added four or so key players - Raggett, Habergham, Woodyard, Arnold.

to be fair to appleton, in many cases moving on players from the cowley squad is down to the new philosophy coming down from board level at the club. frecklington, boz, eardley, shackell, pett, coker (and akinde) fits with this. not to do with his ego, imo. he has kept grant, jas, lewis, melbourne, anderson... ones that might still have future sell-on value, which also fits within the overall club vision, or whatever they are calling it. uti.

Maybe it has more to do with promotions and wanting further progression. Otherwise you can say Cowley cleared the decks of Cowley players after promotion to L2. I think only 2 remained from National League after the summer transfer window at the start of our second season in L2.

I think he meant 'nice' as in not a particularly physical or streetwise one, which I'd agree with a little.

In Bolger, Melbourne and Hopper we have some physicality in the side and the likes of Lewis and Scully seem to want to put themselves about a bit but I don't currently look at us and think we'd be able to stand up to a Gillingham type side if they bombarded us.

Absolutely, some good technical players but not technical enough to win enough games on this characteristic alone.

We do need some steel in there, and more of a threat in the final 3rd.

Love Bozzy but he did only play 18 times last season and is another year older

Huh despite a shortened season surprised it was that few. Always winced when managers said that he played despite having a knock or played despite not training, eventually these things catch up with you.

There is a tendency among some supporters to want to cling on to players who have done well for the club, but it must always be about what any player can do for us in the future. Eardley and Bostwick have been great for us, both won two trophies and both won the Player of the Season award. However, they are both into their 30s with potential injury worries, and probably on money we wish to use elsewhere. Added to which, the philosophy of the current manager is to have a far younger squad. As MA has already stated, that squad was great in League Two, but inadequate for League One, and that is all the explanation needed.

Maybe it has more to do with promotions and wanting further progression. Otherwise you can say Cowley cleared the decks of Cowley players after promotion to L2. I think only 2 remained from National League after the summer transfer window at the start of our second season in L2.
I'm not sure if they had been at Burton and we had just bought them we would be that excited, my guess is we wouldn't have been that overwhelmed with them and would possibly be suggesting the clubs aim might be just was just to avoid relegation.

Two fabulous players for the club. Both deserved their awards as Player of the Season and Eardley got my vote again this year. Their experience and know how will definitely be missed.
Not sure the yellow shirt suits Bostwick mind you... Let's hope he has learnt who to pass to now

Absolutely, some good technical players but not technical enough to win enough games on this characteristic alone.

We do need some steel in there, and more of a threat in the final 3rd.

You must have a much more detailed knowledge of the players we have brought in already than I have.

I have no real idea of the steel of Jones, McGrandles, Ross or Montsma , nor come to that Elbouzedi, Lewis, Melbourne, Hopper and Scully.

Pretty confident though we will actually be better equipped to take on the likes of Gillingham if we need to.

Last season we had Payne, Hesketh and Morrell - not exactly equipped for a physical battle.
So far we have bought a 6’5 keeper, a 6’3 centre half and a 6ft midfielder.
Plenty more player movement before the start of the season but I suggest we are already improving the long term strength of the squad.

It is clear we are in a period of transition. And that means making some decisions that might be a season or two too early or too late for particular individuals as numbers, positions and budgets are shifted around. We can judge players on what they have done while at the club, forgive those who haven't had time to do all that they were capable of and focus on what and who is left and how they can stabilise and step the club up in the near future.

The only constant in football is change. The adjustment will take some bedding in, and maybe some further meddling, but in the end I think most of us have faith in the strategic direction, the controllers of the club and the actions that are being taken (whether all of them work out or not).

Barney's 'Up the Imps' is as relevant now as it has been in the last 3 years.

I have no real idea of the steel of Jones, McGrandles, Ross or Montsma , nor come to that Elbouzedi, Lewis, Melbourne, Hopper and Scully.

Pretty confident though we will actually be better equipped to take on the likes of Gillingham if we need to.

Last season we had Payne, Hesketh and Morrell - not exactly equipped for a physical battle.
From what I've seen of Lewis and Scully, they don't lack for steel. Morrell may not have been a 'beast and monster' but more than held his won physically, though he needs to temper that with a reduction in bookings this season.

Pleased to see MA bringing some height in though.