Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Page 7 | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

Great photos thanks
No problem.

Just in case anyone missed this photo which appeared on a thread of its own a few weeks ago, I'll conclude my pictures of the "old" Sincil Bank with the photo below, taken after both the Railway End and South Park Stands had been demolished. If it wasn't for the St Andrews Stand and floodlights you'd hardly recognise it as Sincil Bank. It will be interesting to do a "Now and Then" comparison once the Stacey West Stand has been redeveloped. Thank you to all who have viewed these photos and left kind comments and in so doing helped Jules reach and exceed his views per month targets and raise vital additional funds for the Imps.Stacey West E (R).jpg

Wished we’d been able to keep the floodlights. There’s something about 4 corner pylons that makes a ground feel a real proper league ground. Might be an age thing but whenever we were travelling somewhere always tried to look for the floodlights of whatever town we were passing through. Just a glimpse was enough. Plus in the days before sat nav, they didn’t half help you find the sodding ground on away days.

No problem.

Just in case anyone missed this photo which appeared on a thread of its own a few weeks ago, I'll conclude my pictures of the "old" Sincil Bank with the photo below, taken after both the Railway End and South Park Stands had been demolished. If it wasn't for the St Andrews Stand and floodlights you'd hardly recognise it as Sincil Bank. It will be interesting to do a "Now and Then" comparison once the Stacey West Stand has been redeveloped. Thank you to all who have viewed these photos and left kind comments and in so doing helped Jules reach and exceed his views per month targets and raise vital additional funds for the Imps.View attachment 41035

Even then the relatively new St Andrews Stand was an eyesore. With hindsight, what a pity it wasn’t demolished as well. And with all that grass in the foreground, we should really have had a much better South Park Stand and a decent car park.

Great photos, thanks Sigiriya

The ground looked totally different then, didn't it?

Yes, my wife and I were out this morning and had one of those conversations about how much technologically/scientifically - actually and relatively - has changed in our lifetime. Perhaps the football grounds of the teams we support are a microcosm and reflection of all those changes that have happened. But maybe getting a bit TOO philosophical there!

Yes, my wife and I were out this morning and had one of those conversations about how much technologically/scientifically - actually and relatively - has changed in our lifetime. Perhaps the football grounds of the teams we support are a microcosm and reflection of all those changes that have happened. But maybe getting a bit TOO philosophical there!

Well, I'm an architectural ignoramus compared to some on here, but cantilever has surely transformed football grounds.

And of course the terrace curved round the corner a bit towards the St Andrews stand. I can't remember if it merged into the St Andrews paddock. I don't think so though, as there was vehicle access for disabled 3 wheelers and ambulances.

Always liked those 3 wheelers parked at the side of the pitch ! Flashed their lights when we scored, didn't happen very often. Looking through those pictures makes you realise by comparison to today what a dump it was, but it was our SB and we loved it, barbed wire, open air toilets, half time fights passed as entertainment !

With much throwing of coins! Under the pretence of aiming for the St John's Ambulance blanket collection.
I remember going to our match at Stockport once (must have been near to Christmas), when our hosts surprisingly and very kindly provided everyone with a mince pie as they entered the ground. Sadly they weren't particularly nice and most ended up on the terrace. That was until the St John's Ambulance went round with a blanket collection .....:LOL:
I was not guilty, having eaten mine !

Yes, I was at that game. The mince pie throwing followed a controversial refereering decision (can't remember if it led to a goal being awarded), and after the crowd vented its usual collective spleen, the mince pies followed

Have to say I was embarrassed to be an Imps fan after the hospitality shown

I remember going to our match at Stockport once (must have been near to Christmas), when our hosts surprisingly and very kindly provided everyone with a mince pie as they entered the ground. Sadly they weren't particularly nice and most ended up on the terrace. That was until the St John's Ambulance went round with a blanket collection .....:LOL:
I was not guilty, having eaten mine !

It's because you a dustbin and eat anything although tbh I ate mine as well. :grinning:

I do remember you laughing uncontrollably in the way you do at all the mince pies flying into the blanket :lol:

Yes, I was at that game. The mince pie throwing followed a controversial refereeing decision (can't remember if it led to a goal being awarded), and after the crowd vented its usual collective spleen, the mince pies followed

I remember that game - looked it up, and it was 17th December 1988. I don't remember getting a mince pie myself - nor them being thrown, but Stockport were awarded a penalty when someone dived (according to Trevor Matthewson) and won 1-0.

It was the game when Colin Murphy took the precaution of wearing a deerstalker hat for protection when he came out through the tunnel, it being the first time he had been back there since leaving Stockport to join City.

The thing that has stuck in my mind about the mince pie episode at Stockport, is that it came amid claims that egg production in the UK was infested with salmonella. I recall some supporters shouting, 'Don't eat them, they're filled with egg!'

Good of Stockport to make such a gesture, these things stick in your mind. Just like Orient allowing us under the stand during a blizzard in 1983.

Another thing I remember about that game/incident, is that it was back in the days of fences, where we had to look through (or over if we could get high enough) a "cage"; and the pies were thrown over the fence