Ehmer gone | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ehmer gone

Who has said we're not paying them now? All that has been said is they haven't yet been offered new contracts. Doesn't say we're not paying them even though they are out of contract.

Id be very surprised if we were paying them when out of contract.

If that's the case might as well have offered a contract.

I guess they cant be furloughed either as they are out of contract.

You can see why players would take the security of a firm offer of employment over scallys "indication of an offer to come".

Id be very surprised if we were paying them when out of contract.

If that's the case might as well have offered a contract.

I guess they cant be furloughed either as they are out of contract.

You can see why players would take the security of a firm offer of employment over scallys "indication of an offer to come".

It could be that they were on a rolling monthly contract which probably would have been paid under the furlough scheme. The benefit is that the club shows a commitment to the player and the player gets a wage when they could easily be sitting at home jobless.

Do we know that he wasn’t offered a contract during the season?

With exception of young superstars like Dack and Jarvis and "impossible to replace" players like Eaves, it has generally been the clubs policy for as long as I remember to only negotiate contracts at the end of the season once we have an idea of what league we'd be in.

For a long term players like Ehmer it would probably have been a safe bet that he would have been happy to sign a new contract this summer in usual circumstances.

The other way to look at this is:

Nobody knew the virus would happen but everyone knew max would be out of contract.

Based on that why did we not give him a new contract one or two seasons ago? Is there a pattern?

He signed his last contract with us two seasons ago. We generally only look to sign players on 2 year deals. As commented to someone else, we also generally only offer new contracts when the contracts are in the process of running out and not before unless they are someone like Dack who would likely to have bigger clubs taking an interest in and willing to offer a fee.

With most of the players who we look to offer new contracts like Ehmer, they are usually sufficiently settled that it would be easier for the player not to move and risk not fitting in. Max does have at least one 1 year old son and some players would rather not go through the hassle of moving all the time.

I've just read Gills fans on twitter saying Ehmer being allowed to leave is "unforgivable" and a "f*cking disgrace". 😂

Come off it, I find usually with the younger generation of Gills fans that use Twitter, completly over the top reactions and quite cringey, emotional attachments to players.
Look, Max Ehmer was a very good servant for Gills and will be a bit of a loss but he's 31 and been offered 3 years at Rovers by which time he will be 34 past his prime years.

If Bristol Rovers want to gamble promotion with going out of business then that's up to them. I actually back Scally over this issue and surely one thing this virus has taught us it's not to take things for granted, like having a football club to support at all.

Ehmer was our 2nd highest earner I think, it's a no brainer to let him go when we have Tucker and Ogilvie as defenders who are even better than Ehmer.

When will some football supporters realise that football players have a career to think about and will go for as much money as they can to support their family etc. I saw the same outpouring of emotion when Tom Eaves left it really does come across pathetic. We can thank players for their services but getting that attached to footballers is quite sad in my opinion.

Scally said it best "The Club isn't based around one player". 👏🏻

Bristol Rovers are not going to go out of business! The owner has just cleared the clubs £28m worth of debt, already started building the new £8m training complex in Almondsbury and the new stadium plans have been restarted! Thats without the playing budget! Very wealthy these middle eastern business men that Paul Scally has apparently been talking to for 25 years!

Very wealthy these middle eastern business men that Paul Scally has apparently been talking to for 25 years!

To be fair to scally the strategy to attract middle eastern investment is sound. Its the person executing it that is the problem - in my humble opinion.

is it true the Bristol Rovers owners first wanted to take over the Gills and Scally refused the offer.

Not sure about that.

I initially thought they were new owners who’d ploughed a heap of money into the club. But apparently they aren’t exactly new to the club. They took over Bristol Rovers 3 or 4 years ago and until these last couple of months have been very disliked for running up the huge debt in the first place whilst investing nothing in the playing squad. Rovers haven’t really set the world alight the last 2 seasons.

Looks like it’s changing now, but it seems a few Gas fans are very wary even tho delighted at the players they are signing. Just picked up another today in Sam Nicholson who chose them over Hearts apparently. And they signed Jack Baldwin as well as 2 others this week.

They are certainly gambling big time and it’s not just Gills who are letting them get on with it.

I've just read Gills fans on twitter saying Ehmer being allowed to leave is "unforgivable" and a "f*cking disgrace". 😂

Come off it, I find usually with the younger generation of Gills fans that use Twitter, completly over the top reactions and quite cringey, emotional attachments to players.
Look, Max Ehmer was a very good servant for Gills and will be a bit of a loss but he's 31 and been offered 3 years at Rovers by which time he will be 34 past his prime years.

If Bristol Rovers want to gamble promotion with going out of business then that's up to them. I actually back Scally over this issue and surely one thing this virus has taught us it's not to take things for granted, like having a football club to support at all.

Ehmer was our 2nd highest earner I think, it's a no brainer to let him go when we have Tucker and Ogilvie as defenders who are even better than Ehmer.

When will some football supporters realise that football players have a career to think about and will go for as much money as they can to support their family etc. I saw the same outpouring of emotion when Tom Eaves left it really does come across pathetic. We can thank players for their services but getting that attached to footballers is quite sad in my opinion.

Scally said it best "The Club isn't based around one player". 👏🏻

Im not sure it’s having emotional attachments to players that’s driving the twitter outrage.

It’s people picking any reason at all to slag off Scally and the club.

Saw one comment along the lines of “we’ve only got 7 players now. Typical Gills/Scally. Conference here we come”.

Err, yeah ok. We are going to play with just 7 players. Not signing anyone. Righty-o.

I don’t quite understand the Bristol Rovers situation:

- they were £24 million in debt
- new owners come in, but instead of clearing the debt through stumping up the cash, theirs was done through diluting shares.
- What is this? Is this the same process which the airlines have been doing recently? I’m not the most knowledgable on shares.
- What happens to the debt? Have the creditors changed, and what if the owners sell up?

Im not sure it’s having emotional attachments to players that’s driving the twitter outrage.

It’s people picking any reason at all to slag off Scally and the club.

Saw one comment along the lines of “we’ve only got 7 players now. Typical Gills/Scally. Conference here we come”.

Err, yeah ok. We are going to play with just 7 players. Not signing anyone. Righty-o.
I think some are fishing.

I don’t quite understand the Bristol Rovers situation:

- they were £24 million in debt
- new owners come in, but instead of clearing the debt through stumping up the cash, theirs was done through diluting shares.
- What is this? Is this the same process which the airlines have been doing recently? I’m not the most knowledgable on shares.
- What happens to the debt? Have the creditors changed, and what if the owners sell up?
I don't understand it either, but it sounds dodgy as hell. Let the Gas fans enjoy their moment. It could easily end in tears as it has at other clubs.

I don't understand it either, but it sounds dodgy as hell. Let the Gas fans enjoy their moment. It could easily end in tears as it has at other clubs.
Agreed it sounds doggy. Bury did the same sort of thing spending big on players before going tits up.Doing it when there is little likelihood of a game in front of a crowd for at least 3 months is a gamble .Especially when there are warnings if a second spike of coronavirus cases.

Where's Nibbles?

I wondered about nibbles whereabouts a couple of weeks ago myself.

He seemed to disappear around the same time as Wayne’s ban, and I remember Wayne saying he did have a second username on here..... hmmmmmm............

I wondered about nibbles whereabouts a couple of weeks ago myself.

He seemed to disappear around the same time as Wayne’s ban, and I remember Wayne saying he did have a second username on here..... hmmmmmm............
I believe he's taken a sabbatical to Twydall and they have no internet there.