Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Page 5 | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

I think there's also a team photo somewhere that shows a truck going over the bridge in the background.

That's probably the one I was thinking of. If I recall correctly, it was a closed grain wagon, possibly conveying barley from Norfolk to Scotland.

Yeah, my sketchy memory would have been 60's. I missed all the home games 75/76.

I remember when quite young, I used to stand by the wall in the South Park End right in the corner with the West Bank. From there, I had a great view of the old steam trains trundling along behind the Railway End and can vividly see them at a stop (presumably a red signal) with driver hanging out the window watching the footie. Bliss.

A steam train is unlikely to be any later than the 1966/67 season and definitely wouldn't be any later than 1967/68.

I was able to do a bit of trainspotting when my father used to take me on the Sincil Bank terrace, and on the occasion of this memorable match in my earliest ever season he wrote an engine number down for me on the programme:

Home v Liverpool 14.11.59.jpg

43095 was one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Ivatt_Class_4

I remember in the Railway End in later years - late 1960s/early 1970s - a couple of times in a match you'd hear a steadily increasing rumbling in the distance which would get louder and louder, and then as the train went past (diesel-hauled in those days) the corrugated iron at the back of the shelter would shake.

(Although my memory may or may not be exaggerating things a bit).

I remember in the Railway End in later years - late 1960s/early 1970s - a couple of times in a match you'd hear a steadily increasing rumbling in the distance which would get louder and louder, and then as the train went past (diesel-hauled in those days) the corrugated iron at the back of the shelter would shake.

(Although my memory may or may not be exaggerating things a bit).
You are dead right, I had completely forgotten that rumbling sound as a train approached. You could also hear it from the South Park Stand. Thanks for restoring such a unique memory!

After reading the above posts, did a Google search. A load of pics cropped up but this one was interesting as you can see the floodlights. I reckon this is Gowts bridge and the locos possibly removing the track. No idea whose image it is so can’t,t give credit.
1595356581594.jpeg

The programme cover for the Colchester United game. It included some interesting information about the redevelopment of the ground as well as the Moscow Torpedo game (does anyone have a copy of the programme for that game that they can post, I don't seem to be able to find mine?). Murphy's message for that game was as readable as ever!Colchester Programme Info C (R).jpgColchester Programme Info B (R).jpgColchester Programme Info A (R).jpg