Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

Brings back some memories does this thread starting going with my dad mid sixties and always stood on the Sincil Bank Terrace never knew it as the West Terrace.

Stood there in wind,rain,sun and snow, makes you realise what poor conditions we put up with but every ground was the same in those days.

Thanks for putting up the photos really interesting.

My uncle was Edwin Green, worked his way up, think was a draughtsman too, was basically no.2 at Beels.
My Dad worked at Robeys as Chief Estimator in the Boiler Department. When it closed he and Neville Beel and a couple of others set up BIB. Robeys closed at Xmas 1986 (or could have been 1987). On the last day I joined my Dad and his colleagues for a few drinks in the Travellers Rest (now also long gone), which was just across the road from Robeys. BIB then started in the January after Robeys had closed. Initially, if I remember right, Nevile Beel, Dad and the others who set up BIB worked out of premises on Great Northern Terrace, before moving to Becor House (old Bucyrus offices) on Green Lane. Manufacturing was undertaken in the old Bucyrus works on Beevor Street. Robeys Boiler Department was a very well run and profitable business. It only closed because it was bought by an asset stripping company, owned by a well-known industrialist of the time. They shut Robeys down and then had the cheek to nick the Robey name, which was well known and well thought of throughout the UK, and gave it to a less profitable business in the West Midlands! BIB was set up because they knew they had a product that they could sell and that would make a profit and so it proved for many a year.

My Dad worked at Robeys as Chief Estimator in the Boiler Department. When it closed he and Neville Beel and a couple of others set up BIB. Robeys closed at Xmas 1986 (or could have been 1987). On the last day I joined my Dad and his colleagues for a few drinks in the Travellers Rest (now also long gone), which was just across the road from Robeys. BIB then started in the January after Robeys had closed. Initially, if I remember right, Nevile Beel, Dad and the others who set up BIB worked out of premises on Great Northern Terrace, before moving to Becor House (old Bucyrus offices) on Green Lane. Manufacturing was undertaken in the old Bucyrus works on Beevor Street. Robeys Boiler Department was a very well run and profitable business. It only closed because it was bought by an asset stripping company, owned by a well-known industrialist of the time. They shut Robeys down and then had the cheek to nick the Robey name, which was well known and well thought of throughout the UK, and gave it to a less profitable business in the West Midlands! BIB was set up because they knew they had a product that they could sell and that would make a profit and so it proved for many a year.

So your Dad would have known mine as well, I imagine.

Did you ever go to the Social Club just across the road?

Yeah they certainly did. My uncle died quite a few years ago now.

Quite a big pub from memory, drank in there for a while during the mid 90s.
How long since it shut?

Last edited:
So your Dad would have known mine as well, I imagine.

Did you ever go to the Social Club just across the road?
No, not whilst it was Robey's Social Club. After being closed for a time it re-opened as a night-club. I went to a Heavy Metal night there once, from what I remember. I forget what it was called. It could have been The Globe, which was the name of Robey's work, if I am correct.

Many thanks to all those who have taken the time to post the photographs of Sincil Bank and other locations around the City on this thread. It is much appreciated.

There's a photo on page 41 of the Nannestads' Official History which shows three or four trucks going past above the goal. Can't see the engine though, and it's dated April 1960 so could be steam or diesel.

I think there's also a team photo somewhere that shows a truck going over the bridge in the background.