Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Page 3 | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

Wow great pictures in this thread that certainly evoke some fantastic memories. Mind you it makes you appreciate what we have now at the stadium. You forget how drab and worn out everything was. I am so happy that my formative years were at Sincil Bank as it had pretty much been in my Dads and Grandads day and I spent many happy hours stood on the Sincil Bank Terrace as a teen and even a good few in the Railway end as well but I wouldn't swap it for the CO-OP stand we have today.

By 1990, apart from the newly built St Andrews Stand, Sincil Bank was, to put in politely, in a bit of a mess. No wonder that crowds were low when you see the state of facilities then (the perceived threat of hooliganism and other ills didn't exactly help, either). The first picture below shows the "welcoming" scene that presented itself to anyone entering the Railway Terrace from the Cross Street end. The following two photos show the entrance to the Railway Terrace from the Sincil Bank side. The fourth photo shows the northern entrance to the Sincil Bank Terrace.
The final two photos show the rear of the Railway Terrace from both the Cross Street and Sincil Bank sides and remains of the old embankment.

Railway Terrace Entrance (4R).jpgRailway Terrace Entrance 2 (2R).jpgRailway Terrace Entrance 3 (R).jpgSincil Bank Terrace Entrance (2R).jpgRear of Railway Terrace - Sincil Bank (2R).jpgRear of Railway Terrace - Cross Street (R).jpg

By 1990, apart from the newly built St Andrews Stand, Sincil Bank was, to put in politely, in a bit of a mess. No wonder that crowds were low when you see the state of facilities then (the perceived threat of hooliganism and other ills didn't exactly help, either).
Almost every ground in the country was the same, though, so we were no different from any other club. Some were far worse - Doncaster, Halifax, Hartlepool, Darlington, Walsall and Chester come to mind immediately. The football industry had an obligation after the Bradford fire to make everything safer and more welcoming for paying customers, and it did a good job. As much as we all thought we enjoyed it at the time, it is hard to believe what we actually put up with back then. Some of your photographs are startling.

Almost every ground in the country was the same, though, so we were no different from any other club. Some were far worse - Doncaster, Halifax, Hartlepool, Darlington, Walsall and Chester come to mind immediately. The football industry had an obligation after the Bradford fire to make everything safer and more welcoming for paying customers, and it did a good job. As much as we all thought we enjoyed it at the time, it is hard to believe what we actually put up with back then. Some of your photographs are startling.

This can't be true. Everything is always better in the past.

Thanks to everyone posting photos here, it's very interesting as a younger fan to see how Sincil Bank looked before its more recent guise. Although I like the look of the old terrace where the Co-Op Stand now ...stands, my god some of the other photos make it look grim!

I stood behind Ron Gray in the signing-in queue at the dole office in summer 1970.

Fifty years ago today I started work for National Coal Board (later British Coal) at their research establishment near Cheltenham.

I stood behind Ron Gray in the signing-in queue at the dole office in summer 1970.

Fifty years ago today I started work for National Coal Board (later British Coal) at their research establishment near Cheltenham.

What did you research?

I remember the Sykes satellite dish clock on the floodlight for some reason. I wonder if it's still kicking around somewhere

Knotty Snr. was initially a draughtsman and then moved into contracts. I would not be surprised if he knew your uncle.
My uncle was Edwin Green, worked his way up, think was a draughtsman too, was basically no.2 at Beels.