Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

When I first started going I always stood against the wall round about halfway. Thinking back used to get their pretty early to secure this spot. Later used to stand a few steps back, seem to remember there was a stone that was white which used to use a marker for meeting up. Much harder in the days of terraces to do this. I remember being miffed when finding someone stood in ‘our’ spot.

THE TOILETS!!!

As a kid tried to avoid them like the plague. You could almost be asphyxiated if you did not hold your breath for long enough. When the drain blocked, feet had to be positioned carefully to avoid the deeper areas of the urine lake.

The back of the terrace resembled an empty cattle market almost as much as a football stadium.

Things have most definitely improved on that side of the ground.

A few views from just inside the West Bank/Sincil Bank Terracing. For some reason I didn't take one of the Tea Hut, which I regret now. These were the days, though, before digital cameras, when you got either 24 or 36 pictures you could take so you had to be a lot more selective with the views you took.

West Bank H (R).jpg
A brave sole just about to enter the bowels of the West Bank/Sincil Bank Terrace.

West Bank J (R).jpg
Just in case the ladies were wondering "where did we go?", well there you go! A real "room with a view".

West Bank L (2R).jpg
The view from the top of the Terracing. Anyone recognise anyone or themselves?

West Bank E (R).jpg
A moody view along the terracing when "floodlights were floodlights".West Bank from Sincil Bank (2R).jpg
The view along Sincil Bank. Not a pretty one in those days. Whose caravan was that!?! The old railway embankment can be seen to the left. Does anyone have a picture with the old railway bridge crossing Sincil Bank in this area?

A few views from just inside the West Bank/Sincil Bank Terracing. For some reason I didn't take one of the Tea Hut, which I regret now. These were the days, though, before digital cameras, when you got either 24 or 36 pictures you could take so you had to be a lot more selective with the views you took.

View attachment 40918
A brave sole just about to enter the bowels of the West Bank/Sincil Bank Terrace.

View attachment 40919
Just in case the ladies were wondering "where did we go?", well there you go! A real "room with a view".

View attachment 40920
The view from the top of the Terracing. Anyone recognise anyone or themselves?

View attachment 40921
A moody view along the terracing when "floodlights were floodlights".View attachment 40923
The view along Sincil Bank. Not a pretty one in those days. Whose caravan was that!?! The old railway embankment can be seen to the left. Does anyone have a picture with the old railway bridge crossing Sincil Bank in this area?
Cracking pics those. Thanks for sharing. 👍

These are not my photos - I think I saved them when they appeared on this Forum some years ago. Perhaps the person who posted them will take the credit if they still come on here.

View attachment 40930

View attachment 40931

In wet weather the programme seller would always shelter under the bridge.
September 87 just before the new st Andrews stand would have been completed and the high line can't have been far off being removed?

The line was removed in the 87 or 88 , but I can't remember when exactly. I'm sure the bridge was gone by Christmas 87???

That would make sense as loads of people stood on the grass embankment for the Wycombe game and I'm sure that was the only bit left.

There were originally 36 lamps on each tower. By the time of those photos, it was a fraction of that.

Yes, it was 1977 when the original lamps were replaced by eight more powerful ones on each tower. These were later augmented and replaced by others.

The line was removed in the 87 or 88 , but I can't remember when exactly. I'm sure the bridge was gone by Christmas 87???

According to the Echo the bridge was due to be removed in early September 1987. Whether it was I don't know, but the other photo shows the effects of the demolition of the bridge over the Cross Street entrance to the ground later that month which was expected to prevent access to the car park for the home game with Kettering.

2020-07-19_211846.jpg

2020-07-19_212117.jpg

Yes, it was 1977 when the original lamps were replaced by eight more powerful ones on each tower. These were later augmented and replaced by others.

Forgive my lack of clarity on some of these things. It's 50 years today since I left Lincoln for Gloucestershire.