Failure at gills.Who do you remember most about . | Page 3 | Vital Football

Failure at gills.Who do you remember most about .

Tony Bottiglieri sadly lost interest (confidence?) in the game after his brother broke his leg (playing I think for Leybourne Grange) and died following complications with the injury. His first appearance was on the subs bench at the Old Racecourse ground at Chester in what was Tony Cascarino's second game. A boring 0 -0 draw but I can't remember if he got on or not. Gills had played away at Burnley mid-week and had a lot on injuries. The public address man said that there were so many changes from the programme he would read out the names of the players. When he got down to the last two i.e. both Tonies he said that he had no idea how to pronounce the names and apologised for his efforts.

To my mind the biggest failure for me was Billy Hughes. Amazingly talented as a teenager moved on to Selhurst Park and was never really heard of again.

Biggest disappointnent was Jimmy Corbet, moved to Blackburn for big money and suffered serious ankle injuries which prevented him from realising his potential.
Ahhhh, Billy Hughes. He was a very good player. I think he left us too early. One of WKs favourite players, IIRC.

Hislop put in one of the best crosses ever to set up Sanchos header against Chesterfield (I think)

Thanks for that, Mehmets. It solves a mystery.

I was at that evening game and was convinced that Hislop actually scored, but Wikipedia record says he only played or us 8 times and did not score.

Now you mention Sancho, I remember that it was him that scored but I think it was from very close range after Hislop set him up.

I also recall that the opponents were Chesterfield and it was quite late in the game, so I went home well happy.

Derek Belotti. remember him, in a reserve match, taking off his gloves and giving them to a supporter . The bloke had been giving him stick and Derek gave him the gloves and said "if u think u can do better now your chance ".

I was at that evening game and was convinced that Hislop actually scored, but Wikipedia record says he only played or us 8 times and did not score.

Now you mention Sancho, I remember that it was him that scored but I think it was from very close range after Hislop set him up.

I also recall that the opponents were Chesterfield and it was quite late in the game, so I went home well happy.
I’m sure I remember that goal. Midweek game v Chesterfield. Bullet header (almost Ruud Gullit-esque) very late in the game in front of the rainham end.

Only thing of note in 90 minutes!

Wouldn’t have known Hislop crossed it though.

It was a fantastic cross as he was by the corner of the RE and GRS, and had a couple of players around him (I don't think he had been on long), and he whipped in a beckhamesque cross. Sancho's header went in like a bullet.

I’m sure I remember that goal. Midweek game v Chesterfield. Bullet header (almost Ruud Gullit-esque) very late in the game in front of the rainham end.

Only thing of note in 90 minutes!

Wouldn’t have known Hislop crossed it though.
We seem to have had a habit of last minute winners against Chesterfield. I was in the RE when Dean Mcdonald scored a cracking goal. Cue, absolute mayhem in the RE. You would have thought we had just won the world cup

We seem to have had a habit of last minute winners against Chesterfield. I was in the RE when Dean Mcdonald scored a cracking goal. Cue, absolute mayhem in the RE. You would have thought we had just won the world cup
I was in the away support that day with a Chesterfield supporting mate. We were awful for 89 mins then scored twice. At the final whistle he swore at his team, stuck two fingers up at the RE and stormed out the ground leaving a bewildered wife and kids. Found kicking lumps out the concrete next to the car.