Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 75 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Simple then? :rofl:

I've tried very hard but can't see where one win is coming from let alone three!
  • Liverpool - Lose - 27pts
  • Yanited - Lose - 27pts
  • Crystal Palace - Draw - 28pts
  • Everton - Lose - 28pts
  • Arsenal - Draw - 29pts
  • West Ham - Draw - 30pts (Relegated)
The ties that you'd hope that Villa could get something from are CP and WHU, but based on the performances so far and without a magical transformation in performance and/ or luck then the best I can imagine is drawing while Bournemouth and Watford lose all their games and maybe sneaking a one nil at WHU on the last day.

We are proper fucked if any of the bottom teams pull off a win like WHU did the other night.

Anybody can beat anybody in this league :grinning:

I still believe that Smith and Terry should’ve gone at the beginning of lockdown, I also realise that a new manager wouldn’t have a great deal of time taken the situation, but he would’ve had 4 weeks to change things to his liking, and at least get them to play for their wages, because to me

, and that must lie with Dean Smith and what’s his name? The Chelsea guy.

Agree, I'd have chopped him back in November, then again before lockdown, and then again after the Chelsea game!

it looks like he’s lost them, they’re not playing for him, they’re playing as though they already know they’re down

I think he lost them months ago and has increasingly so as he's floundered about with different formations, selections etc - players pretty quickly suss that you don't know what you're doing, and at that point they stop putting their full belief and effort into it, hence heads go down

Simple then? :rofl:

I've tried very hard but can't see where one win is coming from let alone three!
  • Liverpool - Lose - 27pts
  • Yanited - Lose - 27pts
  • Crystal Palace - Draw - 28pts
  • Everton - Lose - 28pts
  • Arsenal - Draw - 29pts
  • West Ham - Draw - 30pts (Relegated)
The ties that you'd hope that Villa could get something from are CP and WHU, but based on the performances so far and without a magical transformation in performance and/ or luck then the best I can imagine is drawing while Bournemouth and Watford lose all their games and maybe sneaking a one nil at WHU on the last day.

We are proper fucked if any of the bottom teams pull off a win like WHU did the other night.
Yeah it's hard to predict where a win will come from. Games aren't won on paper though as we could see last night. One win could roll into two or three, bit of form bit of luck and we stay up.

I hope it goes to the last game. A winner takes all situation keeps interest alive. Once we're confirmed down my interest in this season ends.
Bring on the cricket, golf or anything else with a sporting flavour.

I think we will get a point this weekend. Theres a season finale feel to the game tonight for Liverpool, I dont think we will face anything close to a full strength side for at least 60 minutes.

I think we will get a point this weekend. Theres a season finale feel to the game tonight for Liverpool, I dont think we will face anything close to a full strength side for at least 60 minutes.
Oh jesus christ.
In one way i admire and am jealous of your positivity.
On another i am very worried about your eye sight.

Looking at Sheffield United and Leicester city as examples.
They both went all the way down into league one but became excellent successful teams.
Sounds stupid, but could it be of benefit to get relegated, hit rock bottom then build slowly? I think it’s definitely easier building a new team in lower leagues.
It would be a very risky approach.

What exactly worked so well for Sheffield United and Leicester?

Last edited:
They both went all the way down into league one but became excellent successful teams.
Sounds stupid, but could it be of benefit to get relegated, hit rock bottom then build slowly? I think it’s definitely easier building a new team in lower leagues.

Not sue about dropping into the first Division as we should of rebuilt in the championship but I’m sure we will do the same thing again, buy the best from championship clubs, fail to gel by Christmas , sack who ever is charge. New man comes in , buys quick fix players with no sell on value, never use the championship players the previous coach paid silly cash for so we loan them out after destroying them, fluke promotion, buy overseas no marks as the whole championship squad is crap and cycle begins again.
I suppose a slow build of a quality squad is good but have the owners got the patience for that now they have tasted the rich premier league golden goose. Can you imagine them waiting 2/3 seasons in the championship whilst teams like Sheffield /wolves get richer whilst we slowly suck the cash from their purses. This was our chance to build a good squad slowly in the premier and we blew it big time. They won’t stay for a slow expensive build in the championship over seasons as they are money men just like Randolph was.

But haven't they both been yoyo clubs up until the last few seasons? We were established PL until 2016.
Maybe the right manager at the right time. Similar with Nuno. That could have been a disaster but they got it right.

Well kids - we ain`t dead yet are we, the form of Watford and Bournemouth give us a glimmer.

If only we had that team playing up until January even, what the fuck has happened to us.

Come on boys FFS, it`s on our hands now come Sunday i reckon.