Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 156 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

Huddersfield huffed and puffed but had very little creativity. The Cowleys have their work cut out and this will be a real test of their abilities.
Toff looked good going forwards but really seem to struggle defensively, in fact looked out of his depth.

A very quick scan of the last couple of pages of their Foresrlt match thread suggests the cliches and Brentisms and wearing thin with the support. Is this the first time the Cowleys have had to deal with a relegation scrap?

A very quick scan of the last couple of pages of their Foresrlt match thread suggests the cliches and Brentisms and wearing thin with the support. Is this the first time the Cowleys have had to deal with a relegation scrap?

Huddersfield were very very poor vs forest. Cowleys post match interview was very awkward listening

I have to say Danny looked like he had aged a good bit yesterday and looked under pressure tbh! He didn't have that sparkle in his eyes that he used to have when he was here and looked as down as I have seen him ever look.

I think I am correct in saying that is the first time in his managerial career that he has lost 3 league matches in a row.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side is it! I wonder if they are regretting their decision? A huge bank balance doesn't always bring you happiness I am sure they were still pretty well off here financially and under no pressure!

It might turn out ok in the end, but I'm still amazed they saw it as a perfect opportunity. Went whilst their stock was at it's highest, and I understand that, but I think they saw Huddersfield as a recently relegated PL club with some good money for a couple of seasons whereas in reality they've walked into a club a losing habit for two seasons, squandered lots of their PL money, are paying their old Chairman back with parachute payments, have a new Chairman, new Board, not as much money as they probably thought and a Club who are one of the smaller in that league to start with anyway.

A completely un-Cowley like decision at the time and even more of one now.

It's too early to say it was the wrong decision for them as they could turn this around and get them fighting for promotion next season but I always thought they would go at the end of a season to give them a full pre season and transfer window with their new team but they must have been fully aware of the risk of moving in September and backed themselves all the same. I am not bitter about the Cowleys leaving and hope they do well in their careers but I would love Huddersfield to go down (and for them to stay) as the games next season between us would be such good atmospheres (if fans are allowed). Imagine the tension ahead of the game and welcoming the Cowleys back to Sincil Bank, singing whats the score if we were winning, would be great! They already were great games in League 2 without this added extra.

In hindsight the move was a blessing for us given the financial impact of COVID-19 on football. We got a lump sum for managers who wanted to move eventually and whose buyout clause was going down the longer they stayed, it allowed us to bring in a manager who backed the boards decision to offload more expensive players in January for a bigger war chest in the summer. Turns out we offloaded a big load of wages and collected some transfer revenue just before one of the greatest financial challenges in footballing history. It's all worked out for the best for us.

Having previously been loved at every club they have been at, you wonder what it is like for the Cowleys to be under pressure at Huddersfield. They are grafters and will always do their best wherever they go, but the existing players on shortish contracts may have little allegiance to Huddersfield. As we well know, that can be a toxic combination when fighting to stay up.

You also wonder how such pressure impacts on the families of managers. No point in buying a house early in the area of a new club when their is no indication of how long you might be staying. Wonder what their respective wives think of the decision to move to the big time.

Kyle Perry has signed for Redditch United. He has also put together a Youtube clip of his 50 best goals, attached. There doesn't appear to be anything relating to the Imps!!!

Cowley’s left as they’d get full control of Huddersfield and they felt they’d taken us as far as they could (given our form at the time perhaps they were right - but we should never underestimate that distance).

Looks like they weren’t quite ready for what they were getting control of and perhaps not fully aware of the state of the club (which I am only guessing at from their fans forum)

Will only ever wish them the best and hope Huddersfield stay up.

The Huddersfield thing still seems bonkers. I think they thought they were going to canter up the division because Siewart was so bad, but the club is in a mess AND a lot of their techniques that give you the extra few %s I think are less transferrable to the Championship where everyone is doing it anyway. Interesting to see them conceding from set pieces etc too.

They also had less players they could take up with them, which they've done everywhere else.

I think quite a lot of us were a bit aghast at the time and if they go down very likely they undo a lot of their reputation. I felt like they were a bit pissed off they didn't have money to spend here and Huddersfield were the only club looking.

They might still do it though as some of the other clubs down there are also awful/ in freefall, but it seems very weird. Our most successful managers ever (?) and the only party benefitting from their departure has arguably been us (because of the financial situation etc with COVID).

Louis Dodds has left Chorley after making a total of 20 appearances for them without scoring as they finished bottom of the National League. He has now dropped two levels and joined Hednesford Town in the Southern League Premier Division Central.

Louis Dodds has left Chorley after making a total of 20 appearances for them without scoring as they finished bottom of the National League. He has now dropped two levels and joined Hednesford Town in the Southern League Premier Division Central.

The STIC, as they re known to Stafford Rangers fans (small town in Cannock). Although it's not the case now, they've regularly been in the same league and they are the arch rivals (Imps/Scunny, Imps/Fishy etc). When Hednesford fans sing, the normal SR response is "One family singing....". Other songs sung at them include "12 toes, you've only got 12 toes...! and "On Jeremy Kyle, on Jeremy Kyle, we've seen your sister on Jeremy Kyle...." I think you'll get the picture......

He must be getting on a bit now, surely? In footballing terms of course. Mid-late thirties now?

Kyle Perry has signed for Redditch United. He has also put together a Youtube clip of his 50 best goals, attached. There doesn't appear to be anything relating to the Imps!!!

A real non-league journeyman isn't he. Seems to have a new Midlands-based non-league club every year.

Toffolo was involved in all three goals for Hudds at Brum. After his assist for the first penalty, a decent delivery for the second, and then a free kick to the back post which was headed down and converted from short distance.