The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 240 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I living in an alternative universe? Why would Poch come to Aston Villa? If I had his record as a manager I wouldn't for all the tea in china, and I'm a Villa fan. He would have everything to lose and very little to gain to managing a club as much in the dodo as Villa.

Am I living in an alternative universe? Why would Poch come to Aston Villa? If I had his record as a manager I wouldn't for all the tea in china, and I'm a Villa fan. He would have everything to lose and very little to gain to managing a club as much in the dodo as Villa.

Well there are people on here saying we should act like a big club an sign a big name Mauricio Pochettino is a big name 18 letters?

I'd love it to happen, it would be a proper statement with a manager who wants to win things (and that's why he won't come) but with a proper record of building and punching above weight.

It's not going to happen though lol If we do can DS we need to find the next Poch. But that's easy to type.

Why can’t we at least try and go big? Everton bagged Ancelotti who is for me, the best manager in the world. He does it time and time again wherever he has been, which is unlike many.

I don’t like Tottenham one iota but they have always dreamed big, and after many a false start nearly won the champions league!

We’ve never had better owners on paper than these two, and it seems like they are acting much more professionally than one or two we’ve had.

We can at least talk to Poch, surely he’d at least hear what we have to say?

He might come should we pay him extortionate amounts and if we are able to break the bank on signings... which would be great.

But at the moment, I feel the Villa hot seat is a potential career wrecker.

Poch. He says he's looking for a project, something to build. Which means he's looking for potential, i.e. the sort of owners, the club itself, and finances which can sustain steady development over a period. He says he's interested in developing players, that's everything to how he wants to grow things, rather than throwing money at big names.

Perfect fit. I'd say a very good chance if we stay up. I wouldn't totally rule it out of we don't. We're a big club, even if at the moment we're acting small.

Should we talk to him? Bet we already have, at least in a loose sort of way.

I get this as I was saying something similar a few months ago but if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. We're supposed to be a 'big' club with ambitious owners so let's act like one.

Id have very happily taken Rafa when things started to go very pear shaped. Think he would have undoubtedly kept us up. Contract to the end of the season. He would have been interested imo.

Still, I’ve not lost all hope yet but I too am tired of this same old pattern and believe we should think bigger in our managerial appointments.

Id have very happily taken Rafa when things started to go very pear shaped. Think he would have undoubtedly kept us up. Contract to the end of the season. He would have been interested imo.

Still, I’ve not lost all hope yet but I too am tired of this same old pattern and believe we should think bigger in our managerial appointments.
Rafa did a great job at Newcastle under very difficult circumstances and would be a good fit for Villa.
He did well at Newcastle despite an obstructive owner and working under restrictive conditions.
A very experienced manager here and in Europe, but he is only one year into a two and a half year contract so could be expensive to get.
He has managed in the Championship though, so a relegation wouldnt deter him.
It could work.

Because Pangloss, Aston Villa,like Newcastle and Everton,are acknowledged by people within the game as a giant. An underperforming giant but a giant with seriously wealthy owners,an iconic stadium and a massive fan base.

I get this as I was saying something similar a few months ago but if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. We're supposed to be a 'big' club with ambitious owners so let's act like one.

And become a laughing stock in the process trying to get him.
Not a chance in hell Poch will drop from champions league finalist to away at Oxford with their pissing 3 stands.

I'm all for ambition , I am ambitious, but I'm also realistic . Forget it. Not going to happen. He is linked with Benfica this morning. There are plenty of clubs out there for him which at this current time are of the stature, playing in a top league, in the top competitions year in year out not arsing about between the EFL and bottom of the greed league.

This team reflects the Manager, too nice and lack any bite or aggression.

And ridiculously naive at this level, he should have gone in January after some of the basic errors we were making tactically all season.

We were never gonna stay up with this Management / coaching set up.

Rafa did a great job at Newcastle under very difficult circumstances and would be a good fit for Villa.
He did well at Newcastle despite an obstructive owner and working under restrictive conditions.
A very experienced manager here and in Europe, but he is only one year into a two and a half year contract so could be expensive to get.
He has managed in the Championship though, so a relegation wouldnt deter him.
It could work.

It could work but only if the bad blood between Purslow and Rafa has been sorted out? I somehow get the feeling Rafa isn't a man to forget being treated like the way he was moved out of Liverpool?

Rafael Benítez blames Christian Purslow for Liverpool exit
• Benítez says managing director wanted him out of Anfield
• 'It was a surprise – Purslow decided to do it this way'

"Rafael Benítez has blamed Liverpool's managing director, Christian Purslow, for his departure from Anfield and the club's financial problems for last season's dramatic downturn on the pitch. "

"It was really sad," Benítez said when discussing his departure in an interview with Radio City today. "I was on holiday so it was a surprise that everything was going on in this way, but at the end of the day it has to be like this because Christian Purslow is now in charge and he decided to do it in this way. That is it".

Full Article https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/25/rafael-benitez-christain-purslow-liverpool-exit

Owners expecting Smith to keep us up... just shows how naive they are...... this has been as bad as any season over the past few years... We turn managers and players into blabbering idiots.....

Yes. Was going to post that I can't see Rafa as a candidate considering the history with Purslow and the fact that there is supposedly a £12 million buy out clause in his contract.

He also plays boring football, but let's forget that because he's a big name

Like it or not there is no way Smith is leaving until the end of next month , and the depending where we are all will be reviewed by Mr slimy and the two owners

I'm glad we're sticking with Smith. We need stability at the club. Constantly sacking managers every couple of years isn't getting us anywhere. If the worst comes to the worst this season he has already proven he can get us out of the championship. Pitarch has to go though. Player recruitment has been terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.