The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 239 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont get some saying its ok for us to go down and come straight back up if we keep this side together, they would get automatic promotion etc.
I think this team would get kicked all over the park.
It it cant show any balls when our Premier League spot is about to be taken from us I dont see how it follows we will come back up next season.
I dont see our overpaid prima donnas rolling their sleeves up and giving it a go away from home on a Tuesday night at Millwall, Preston, Wigan et al.
There arent any Alan Huttons in this team.

Well Hutton is still available. The only 3 players showing any sort of aggression are Hause Luiz and Davis and Luiz won't be here next season if he keeps playing as he has

Funny how we don't feel sorry for Dean Smith losing his Dad but old Potato head was a hero for carrying on when his parents died, suppose he still has his Mom so that's ok? One got us promoted the other failed
Bruce decided to exploit his personal tragedy as apart of his divide and conquer strategy. Credit to Smith for not bringing his tragedy up much.

Holloway, Redknapp, Klopp, Pearson, Mourinho - all tell the truth and pull no punches. Smith at the moment is a yes man who looks around and think how the F did I get here.
I just don't see that. If a manager says anything interesting they get fined. It is'nt true that other managers say anything different than Smith, in fact I think Dean has been pretty honest in his appraisal of games.

It's interesting the feeling on here I watch the Villa View post match show on youtube and the two co hosts had a couple of villa supporters on and all four still backed Smith. Now judging on this forum I would have expected at least a couple to be Smith out.

It's very strange. Smith is getting away with murder because he's a Villa fan. He is no better than Bruce possibly slightly worse and now his interviews are emulating Lambert's. Smith is a good Championship manager and if that's where we want to stay then we should keep him.

I've been happy to see the back of lots of our failed managers overtime at Villa Park and after over 50 years of support for the club along with others on here, I've seen a lot of managers come and go.

But I'll be honest and say I will be rather sad to see Dean Smith being shown the exit door.

I always had my doubts but I hoped he would in the best possible way, shut up his critics by being successful and get praised rather than criticised and I was chuffed for him and the club on gaining promotion last season.

The harsh reality is that there is no room for sentiment in football as it's a results-based business that can make or break you so sorry Dean, but our results for a while now have been shocking with no real sign of any improvement.

Funny how we don't feel sorry for Dean Smith losing his Dad but old Potato head was a hero for carrying on when his parents died, suppose he still has his Mom so that's ok? One got us promoted the other failed

That's just trite bullshit, sorry Mr 57, you know I love you.

I don't think there is a single person on this forum who don't feel for anyone when they lose their parents. And to have lost him over such a long period as well (dementia) it is heartbreaking to watch.

Sorry though, that happens to all of us in time, the passing of loved ones. That is our personal lives.

We then have our professional lives.

Is it easy? Of course not. But as harsh as the saying sounds, life goes on. It has to.

I don't see why this is even being brought up, not in the way it is anyway.

After listening to my pontifications on our lament my wife asked me who I would keep if I became manager. There was a noticeable silence. Well, it depends if we get relegated or not. Heaton, Luiz and Grealish if we stay up and a lot more if we go down.
But what we do desperately need is one of those previously mentioned to get here posthaste to cast a professional eye over all of them and make quick decisions. At the moment that man for me is the Spanish waiter followed by Poch. I’m not interested in the Dyches of this world as managing Burnley is a million miles away from managing the biggest club in the midlands from the second biggest city in the UK.

After listening to my pontifications on our lament my wife asked me who I would keep if I became manager. There was a noticeable silence. Well, it depends if we get relegated or not. Heaton, Luiz and Grealish if we stay up and a lot more if we go down.
But what we do desperately need is one of those previously mentioned to get here posthaste to cast a professional eye over all of them and make quick decisions. At the moment that man for me is the Spanish waiter followed by Poch. I’m not interested in the Dyches of this world as managing Burnley is a million miles away from managing the biggest club in the midlands from the second biggest city in the UK.

100%
If our owners are serious about turning Aston Villa back into an established premier league club they should sack Purslow, Pitatch & Smith and get in Rafa or Poch. Give them responsibility to build a premier league standard squad (ie) final say on transfers.

T
The only benefits I see to putting JT in charge is to firstly get Smith out of here, a manager no one is motivated by and then give JT a shot to see what he can do on the off chance he can actually get improvements out of us.

You may question the utility in putting an assistant manager in charge when that person has been a part of a failing team but sometimes the opposite happens, such as when O'Leary took the Leeds job on having served under Graham.
That big Dave bloke took over with Albion bottom a few seasons ago. He got some unlikely results in the last 6 games....but they still went down .
Not only that they sacked him after about 12 games in the chumps league!

From what I remember, the squad were that pissed off with Pardew, he mainly ticked the passion box and that's what turned for them - but even in the Champ as they were defensively poor (whilst reasonably free scoring) their owner was looking for an excuse to get rid as he wanted 'a name' despite them sitting in 4th place at the time was it?

One thing is for sure all managers eventually get the sack, no matter how good they are they all have a shelf life and our next manager will be someone else failure or the search goes on for an up and coming one from the lower leagues.
I'm lead to believe the PL is the best league so all other leagues are lower.

So who does that leave, who plays the pretty football in the PL Sean Dyche, No Woy no, Bruce no, Moyes no, Pearson No, Farke yes, Howe Yes, Potter yes, Then we get onto the better managers now which ones will leave their current club for Villa
Nuno , nope
Mourinho nope
Wilder nope and he may be about to be found out.
Pep nope
Klopp nope
Frank nope, is he any good anyway?
Rogers nope
The Everton bloke
I've missed some as I can't even think who they are.

So we are now down to ex-managers of PL clubs ie failures Pelligrini Emery Marco Silva, Poch, are they what we are looking at. Yes they'll come if you pay them enough, they'll want 40m players on massive wages though

I really don't know where it ends
When you put it like that.....
Better get ready do for another season of smudger excuses in the chumps league!

I've been happy to see the back of lots of our failed managers overtime at Villa Park and after over 50 years of support for the club along with others on here, I've seen a lot of managers come and go.

But I'll be honest and say I will be rather sad to see Dean Smith being shown the exit door.

I always had my doubts but I hoped he would in the best possible way, shut up his critics by being successful and get praised rather than criticised and I was chuffed for him and the club on gaining promotion last season.

The harsh reality is that there is no room for sentiment in football as it's a results-based business that can make or break you so sorry Dean, but our results for a while now have been shocking with no real sign of any improvement.
Spot on , I will be sad if he goes too , wanted him and us to succeed so much , but there is no room for sentiment as you say

Ev
Since the restart we've drawn with teams we should draw with and lost to teams we should lose to. Going down was a very possible, likely scenario this season having finished 5th in the championship by a minor miracle last season and then losing half of the players who got us there.

Its depressing but there really is no point judging Smith for not winning games against top half of the table teams as if he is managing a group of players capable of such a feat. Sack Jesus for replacing Tuanzebe and Abraham with Engels and Wesley etc. But to moan at Smith for not getting a result against the likes of Chelsea and Wolves with a squad that includes Matt Targett as our most premier league experienced defender? Come on, get realistic. All of you pessimists claim to be realists, well wake up and smell the coffee. We have a shite squad, stop expecting results against far superior players.
Even Norwich who spent nowt beat man city and Leicester.

Wonder how Poch would feel about managing in the Championship. There are going to be very few if any vacancies in the PL in immediate future, and even less any that are attractive.

We offer the prospect of an ambitious project backed by wealthy owners, at a time when a lot of clubs will have financial problems. He could make something of a lot of our players, and moreover would attract players.

100%
If our owners are serious about turning Aston Villa back into an established premier league club they should sack Purslow, Pitatch & Smith and get in Rafa or Poch. Give them responsibility to build a premier league standard squad (ie) final say on transfers.

Smith has a final say on transfers already. What one may get with Rafa or Poch is a better indication of the sort of players we need.

The last transfer window was bizarre. I bet Smith said he wanted "experience", hence Danny and the other bloke we've hardly seen.

That's one thing which worries me about Smith staying if we go down. He might do a Bruce and opt for experienced loanees to get us back up. I think we need somebody who can manage the players we've got better. We've gone most of a season with people wondering why we bought Luiz then all of a sudden it turns out he's quite good. Nakamba has spent most of a season looking solid then all of a sudden looks lost. Something isn't right.

Wonder how Poch would feel about managing in the Championship. There are going to be very few if any vacancies in the PL in immediate future, and even less any that are attractive.

We offer the prospect of an ambitious project backed by wealthy owners, at a time when a lot of clubs will have financial problems. He could make something of a lot of our players, and moreover would attract players.

Dear God, if you’re out there 🙏🏻

IF we can stay up, which is priority number 1, this would be a great sign of ambition for the owners and the club to get someone like Poch. At the very least, he’d surely be interested in what we have to say. He’d have the financial backing and a club which can’t really go too much the other way.

Jack would stay for a couple of years if we got a Poch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.