players fates announced by Wednesday evening | Vital Football

players fates announced by Wednesday evening

I think most will go_Only the very best will get reduced terms .I am sorry but this is about survival.A very large reality pill need to be taken by some people. Clubs like our will only chase players when the season is looking like starting again. Releasing about two thirds offering the rest less than they were on will be the majority call of clubs on the lower divisions. Be prepared for around a third of players playing in the lower out of a job if they are out of contract.
2 out 3 three out of contract players let go in our league. Clubs bringing in replacements for about half of those that go.

I think we may possibly be left with Bonham, Hodson, Tucker, Ehmer, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Charles-Cook, Willock, Hanlan (to renew?) and Akinde, perhaps?

Whenever we are allowed to start again, I suspect that it will be short term loans of youngsters from prem/championship that will be making up the rest of the team. Don't know whether they will be as high quality as Jones and O'Connor were though.

Last edited:
The fact it’s been delayed suggests to me we are trying to retain and negotiate with a couple otherwise surely we would just announce we would release everyone we could?

anyone else heard the Fuller player coach role or just me?

i expect us to retain 3 from the out of contracts which I think includes Woods and mandran as well as everyone else mentioned on most forums and Twitter

The fact it’s been delayed suggests to me we are trying to retain and negotiate with a couple otherwise surely we would just announce we would release everyone we could?

anyone else heard the Fuller player coach role or just me?

i expect us to retain 3 from the out of contracts which I think includes Woods and mandran as well as everyone else mentioned on most forums and Twitter
I would guess that the club might want to announce something positive if a large number are being released and hope that a player or players will sign by then.Three retained sounds about the sort of result I was expecting.
The other real possibly if that a player or players have already turned down a offer for whatever reason and Evans is debating if to offer someone else a deal.

There is a real possibility the club will release players they would normally keep .But there is little point if you need a similar replacement and it is going to cost as much or more money.
Although there is the short term problem of having a real lack of funding that might mean that very thing happens.I can see players being released then resigned a few months down the line by the same club.

Last edited:
There is an expectation of wage cuts across the board. So even those we do offer deals to will be on reduced terms. Would £2.5k per week Max Ehmer accept a lower offer should it come, or will he hedge his bets and think he could get a better contract elsewhere?

There is an expectation of wage cuts across the board. So even those we do offer deals to will be on reduced terms. Would £2.5k per week Max Ehmer accept a lower offer should it come, or will he hedge his bets and think he could get a better contract elsewhere?
When you look at it realistically players like Ehmer are almost certainly earning massively less than the likes of Sunderland and Ipswich players so they could well look to clubs like ours to find their cost cutting having released a player of similar quality on a much higher wage.

The other reason to delay the announcement could simply be players being released having time to talk to family and close friends. It is a very difficult time for very many people it is the least the club can do.

i'd like Baz to be offered something and Ehmer.

From their point of view (more Ehmer), is he going to decline a reduced offer from us and gamble on getting a better deal elsewhere when there is going to be so much competition for contracts? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush etc.

I think we may possibly be left with Bonham, Hodson, Tucker, Ehmer, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Charles-Cook, Willock, Hanlan (to renew?) and Akinde, perhaps?

TBF on paper that looks a decent core of players that you could built a very useful squad around.

Although if young Jack is still here when the next season starts I’ll be amazed.

I’d be very surprised if BF is retained.

Unlike previous managers of recent times, SE doesn’t dish out contracts to players based on reputation.

> BF is past his prime
> I doubt SE will want a bigger non-playing staff at the expense of squad players
> the close season is going to be a bargain bonanza in the current climate. We’ll find better than BF for less money.
> if we can save a few quid in wages on the offseason, that would also help.