Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 159 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

I would imagine this is just because there has been no pre-season. Hardly a massive issue to allow fresh legs, and the rules have already changed because the season was suspended and is now re-starting.

For me, it is down to the players now, not any moaning about how unfair all this is, life is unfair, the virus has been unfair. The imbalance is there, whether 3 subs or 5. I wouldn't have made the change personally but I assume they all agreed to this and as said, just for match fitness.

Do we think we would stand that much more chance if we only used 3 subs? I don't. I get what you are saying, but it looks a meh change to me.

The amount of games in such a short space of time will no doubt cause soft tissue injuries , so being able to replace players in games to protect them will be a big factor in all this. Those that can do it will benefit. We will need the Supers to play every minute of every game. Going to be a huge strain on their bodies.

The amount of games in such a short space of time will no doubt cause soft tissue injuries , so being able to replace players in games to protect them will be a big factor in all this. Those that can do it will benefit. We will need the Supers to play every minute of every game. Going to be a huge strain on their bodies.

Yes, totally get it. But also the flipside, all players will face the same challenge, and would have through the season if played out normally. We were always at a disadvantage to the bigger, better squads, I don't see we are any more so now. I do get the point you are making, just not sure that is going to be our major problem, our major problem could well be the lack of backbone, experience and ability. I live in hope that might have miraculously been sorted during this break.

A Spurs player has tested positive. What if the whole first team comes down with the Covid after the first game?

I wrote about going to "Zoom War" earlier this week and I just wanted to say from a Villa viewpoint we have been either outflanked yesterday or it was just simply a bad day at the office. I am sorry to sound gloomy but for us to agree first 4 games in 7 days is ludicrous. Have we not heard of the word "no"?

The change in rules to allow a squad of 19 players with 5 subs we voted against and we had the support of three other clubs. This shows that the bottom 6 clubs are not acting together. I agree that there is an argument for this but this point should have been part of an overall agreement and not voted on alone.

What also has happened is that key issues on relegation and players going into self isolation there was no agreement on. It seems that the PL are happy to re start the season with the key issue of what happens if its halted again with key relegation issue unresolved.

My message to the cub is that Its not to late to change our tactics.

Our opening 4 games are across 11 days aren't they , not 7.
Game every three days which is what you get in the championship, not sure what the rush is to get these games played but professional footballers should be able to play those without too many issues other than if players test positive they will miss 3 games and so should the whole squad.
The rules have all but gone out of the window now

With the compressed fixture list , logic would say the bigger squad depth / quality a club has the better they will fare. Not sure how our squad depth / quality compares to our relegation rivals.
Obviously who you have to play will also have a bearing - mid table teams I'm assuming will play in pre-season friendly/ testimonial mode

With the compressed fixture list , logic would say the bigger squad depth / quality a club has the better they will fare. Not sure how our squad depth / quality compares to our relegation rivals.
Obviously who you have to play will also have a bearing - mid table teams I'm assuming will play in pre-season friendly/ testimonial mode

Having watched a couple of behind closed door games on TV , or rather sort of half watched , it strikes me that the pace is definitely slower than it would be with a crowd getting on their cases

Having watched a couple of behind closed door games on TV , or rather sort of half watched , it strikes me that the pace is definitely slower than it would be with a crowd getting on their cases
Yes I can't imagine players flying into 50/50 tackles under this format as an example.

Yes I can't imagine players flying into 50/50 tackles under this format as an example.

Imagine Jack not getting booed by away fans every time he touches the ball he won't have that extra spur to get him motivated and the complete opposites at Villa Park nobody expecting him to take on their entire team .

Imagine Jack not getting booed by away fans every time he touches the ball he won't have that extra spur to get him motivated and the complete opposites at Villa Park nobody expecting him to take on their entire team .

Might be able to play a game without someone on the opposition trying to maim him as well.