O/T VS Gardening Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

O/T VS Gardening Thread

Its going to be a pond. I picked it up yesterday along with a load of old vintage stone planters. The sink was the heaviest, being an extra large one. It nearly killed me even though I had a sack Barrow, lifting it onto the van was challenging. My wife claimed it as hers and has wanted a pond feature for a while.
I sourced a liner and a couple of pond plants while in Coventry yesterday. The liner will be cut to size as was way too big. Pebbles to cover the bottom, some rocks in the corners to enable creatures to get in and out. I will get a solar powered aerator to keep the water clean and some pond weed for the same reason. Then just wait and observe what happens. A friend of my wifes has the same set up and a frog visited her pond recently.
Siting the sink was a little bit of a challenge although easily overcome. The underside of the sink where the waste pipe would be fixed has a bulbous protruding area which means the sink wont sit level on a level surface, if it was on mud the protrudence could be absorbed. So I slid a spare paving slab under the opposite end to level it up.
This project will keep my wife occupied for a while, until she wants new additions to the pond of course !!

Its going to be a pond. I picked it up yesterday along with a load of old vintage stone planters. The sink was the heaviest, being an extra large one. It nearly killed me even though I had a sack Barrow, lifting it onto the van was challenging. My wife claimed it as hers and has wanted a pond feature for a while.
I sourced a liner and a couple of pond plants while in Coventry yesterday. The liner will be cut to size as was way too big. Pebbles to cover the bottom, some rocks in the corners to enable creatures to get in and out. I will get a solar powered aerator to keep the water clean and some pond weed for the same reason. Then just wait and observe what happens. A friend of my wifes has the same set up and a frog visited her pond recently.
Siting the sink was a little bit of a challenge although easily overcome. The underside of the sink where the waste pipe would be fixed has a bulbous protruding area which means the sink wont sit level on a level surface, if it was on mud the protrudence could be absorbed. So I slid a spare paving slab under the opposite end to level it up.
This project will keep my wife occupied for a while, until she wants new additions to the pond of course !!

As a pond is an area filled with water, either natural or artificial, that is smaller than a lake, your sink hole fits that definition mate!.

Busy day today. Completed the wetland project behind the pond to accommodate marginal plants who like it boggy. Hopefully eventually they will cascade down into the pond but we only have one plant so far that looks a bit lonely !!.
I dug out the gravel and soil, removed the old membrane and replaced with left over PVC liner from the pond. I pierced it many times to allow gradual seepage. I edged the area with some wall copings I had left over from a wall demolition. Then filled up with Loam mix special pond soil and a soil compost mix. It's very dark and rich soil, amazing how it retains the water. We added the water and the billy no mates plant afterwards . It's all nicely contained in a defined area, it's a bit of an experiment so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Of course my wife is now badgering me for a visit to the aquatics centre !!

Last edited:
The rain was welcomed by the garden and the plants have responded with growth spurts and blooms appearing. A Hosta surprised us with delightful pink trumpet blooms and more are on thew way.
The pond has thrown up some challenges, it leaks water slowly and I think it's the liner in one corner, I have to come up with a solution eventually. But far worse than that is the constant removal of mosquito larvae I am doing. With a fine net it catches the little squirmers. They cant live outside water so I just tap the net out on the patio. I dont want them hatching out so its ongoing at the moment, I am minimising them stalking them like a heron waiting to pounce, quite good sport actually !!