options to end the season | Vital Football

options to end the season

Is that actually how the teams voted? It reads to me more like the opinion of the author on how teams would be likely to vote based on comments made by the managers/directors, and on what would be in their best interests.

Is that actually how the teams voted? It reads to me more like the opinion of the author on how teams would be likely to vote based on comments made by the managers/directors, and on what would be in their best interests.

Exactly. It’s not how anyone has (or even would) vote. It’s just one persons opinion on what he thinks each club wants.

And If things were to go to a vote, they definitely would not put 10 options forward. You’d end up with each option having just 3 or 4 votes max. You can’t go forward with a plan that only a few clubs voted for.

Have to put forward just 2 options. Maybe 3 and vote one out to get back to 2.

Many clubs have said recently that they are short of money with our own chairman saying their was enough money for a few months and that was two months ago! Testing, playing in an empty stadium is going to cost potentially £500k! Money clubs don’t have! It’s pointless, end the season now!

Haven't league two already decided on points per game and who's going to be promoted and relegated?

But how do they manage that if we don't send anyone down?

And how do you weight points per game?

I fully agree with our clubs stance .it is unlikely that we will be able to see normal football resume any time soon .So I think it is best put in hibernation.A lot of people seem to be of the allusion that next season can somehow resume near to the normal time and there will not be a new out break next winter. That is possible but could well be wrong. I can see the potential for two half baked seasons come next winter if that is the choice.

Can you honestly see Britain getting on top of covid by the end of August ? if not then organised sport will be a long time coming

Can you honestly see Britain getting on top of covid by the end of August ? if not then organised sport will be a long time coming
No I can't see Football returning on weekly regular basis for some time.Lockdown is likely to return at some point when we won't know.That is why for me it is likely to take sometime to play the 120 or so games.Short of playing them all behind closed doors of with tiny crowds. So diving into a new season that will almost certainly be disrupted will create a second problem of this kind .How is that a solution. It will simply drive more away from watching the game at our level.

When it does come why not finish this season and then have the League and FA Cups running simultaneously starting with mini leagues (eight teams) to decide the quarter finalists for each trophy.

Every day brings a formal wrapping up of season 2019/20 in League One closer. We are at the mercy of what goes on above and below us so all the bluster from the six is worthless. League Two have settled their issues whatever we think of the outcome and we are just waiting for Championship clubs to decide on relegation. They of course wait on the top league. By the time they get their ducks in a row it will be too late for us to play.

I'm more concerned about the medium term because I don't see attended games in that time frame. We don't have any viable model that allows for games behind closed doors unless players want to play for free. That is bad enough in itself and is a threat to survival but I fear a slower enemy. The longer this goes on, and especially if higher leagues go with a free to air solution, the more we fade into the background and flounder financially. If clubs go bust and others are mere shells then it will be much easier for the big boys and the authorities to impose a "solution" on us. Prepare your pitchforks!

League 2 clubs seem to have been sensible regardless of their situation! An example was Port Vale, 1 point outside the play offs and still capable of making automatic promotion and 9 games remaining, but no finance to finish season without attendances!

League 2 clubs seem to have been sensible regardless of their situation! An example was Port Vale, 1 point outside the play offs and still capable of making automatic promotion and 9 games remaining, but no finance to finish season without attendances!
I see what you are saying BUT:

Are finances less of an issue if you go straight to play-offs?

I see what you are saying BUT:

Are finances less of an issue if you go straight to play-offs?

I would suggest it would depend on individual clubs situation? Cheltenham Town are in the League 2 play off if they go ahead, but will not be able to compete without financial help from the EFL!

Seems that the EFL is having a hard time trying to get agreement between the L1 clubs. Consensus in this morning`s regional press indicates that the EFL have refined the options down to two:
  • PLAY THE REMAINING GAMES WHEN SAFE TO DO SO WITH TRAINING RESUMING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
  • END THE SEASON NOW USING PPG (unweighted) TO DETERMINE THE FINAL LEAGUE TABLE BEFORE HOSTING A PLAY-OFF IN JUNE.
Vote to be deferred (again) to next week.

To say the situation is fluid is an understatement so it could be all change by the end of today.

Two options now is it. Game theory discarded we are playing by the rules of don't play the ball at all theory. Let the overs roll by as the light falters. We will soon arrive at one option without having to move a muscle. That's the least of our porblems sorted.

Relegation in all EFL Divisions and no more than four teams in the play offs!