Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 45 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

If I was in Levy's position I would expect Mourinho to have some kind of identity in our play by the end of the season. Even if you don't have the calibre of players you need to play the way you want, you still expect to see the foundations laid.

If by June Levy doesnt see those foundations I would get rid of Mourinho. At the moment, we may have a very average attack because of injuries, but we are also showing no signs of defensive solidity or midfield cohesion either and we are in relatively good shape in both those areas. I watch the games and wonder what the hell is being done on the training pitches and why such a successful manager doesnt seem to be able to lift the spirits of a team who desperately need help.

It's hard to argue with any of that, but I wouldn't sack him.

It's even harder to argue with Rio's pov:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-criticism-rio-ferdinand-latest-a9394091.html

Just remember, that Poch boasted about schooling Levy on when and when not to buy.

Personally, I thought Poch must have a plan and that he knew the squad and who was coming through better than anyone and who the toxic ones we desperately needed to move on.

It's arguable that Levy should have known better - he had a coach who achieved incredible things way beyond his/our dreams - we were an established top 4 club, something I didn't think we'd see for another decade.

Levy must be sitting in his office and be banging his head against the wall, but he only has himself to blame.

Poch was a frigging moron. I will never talk fondly of him. He was carried for a few years by top draw players. Once them players wanted out or were on the decline he didn't have a scooby what to do.

Schooled Levy lol more like himself The ******.

If I was in Levy's position I would expect Mourinho to have some kind of identity in our play by the end of the season. Even if you don't have the calibre of players you need to play the way you want, you still expect to see the foundations laid.

If by June Levy doesnt see those foundations I would get rid of Mourinho. At the moment, we may have a very average attack because of injuries, but we are also showing no signs of defensive solidity or midfield cohesion either and we are in relatively good shape in both those areas. I watch the games and wonder what the hell is being done on the training pitches and why such a successful manager doesnt seem to be able to lift the spirits of a team who desperately need help.

Sadly I agree.

There is no pressure now. Nothing to play for. He has no excuses now. Just get the team organized and playing with some aggression and some attacking intent.

If he does that he should turn things around. I can't see it though. Not until Kane and Son are back anyway.

It's like a domino effect. Lack of confidence in the defence and keepers, means a weak MF has to stay back, then a weak forward line has to drop deeper to win the ball or even defend. Shite wingers doesn't even pose a threat out wide to occupy the opposition. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

So Rio thinks keeping it fluffy and telling the players porkies will boost the players. He might be stupid and fall for it but I would rather my boss was straight with me.

he's a player or rather an ex-top player; he's telling it as he sees it, as a player.

Last edited:
so why isn't he trying Tanganga at DM? or Foyth? Why is he persisting with 3 CBs when our midfield is being completely outnumbered every game even against the weakest opposition in the league, forcing last ditch defending we're not good enough to do it? Or why is he sticking with Winks as our DM when everyone who has watched him can say that desire and pace aside he's not equipped for the position physically.

Why buy Gedson to cover Sissoko's injury then not play him in Sissoko's position?

Why broadcast to the world that you're going to set the team up with with a full back on one side and a wing back on the other so they all know how to set-up to exploit that?

Why say that you could sort out our defence but it would cost us in attack, then when you lose your two main goalscorers and only physical presence up front - stick to the same tactics and keep shipping goals without scoring any?

Why drop your early fake humble positive loving approach when you said the players needed their confidence built back up, only to then go fully negative and crush that confidence - even though it's obvious it's costing us on the pitch?

I hated Sherwood as manager with almost every fibre of my being but I'm pretty sure we'd have more points with him at the helm post Son injury. He was scattergun and chopped and changed tactics each game, but at least he didn't persist with things that weren't working and got the players to actually play with some passion at times. After Son's injury Jose seems content for us to sleepwalk towards the relegation zone to ensure he gets backed in the summer. It's cowardly and the squad whilst depleted is capable of more than they're being allowed to show.

he's a player or rather an ex-top players; he's telling it as he sees it, as a player.

Jose should say....look guys I know all our keepers are shit and throwing balls in the net for fun, we have no strikers and we are all tired. But we are top professionals and can play exceptionally to make up for our weaknesses even if its 4 games in 10 days and you wont get a rest.
I would laugh at him and lose respect. I would want realism and an approach to get the best out of the group. Jose did this against Leipzig and Hugo shat on him.

so why isn't he trying Tanganga at DM? or Foyth? Why is he persisting with 3 CBs when our midfield is being completely outnumbered every game even against the weakest opposition in the league, forcing last ditch defending we're not good enough to do it? Or why is he sticking with Winks as our DM when everyone who has watched him can say that desire and pace aside he's not equipped for the position physically.

Why buy Gedson to cover Sissoko's injury then not play him in Sissoko's position?

Why broadcast to the world that you're going to set the team up with with a full back on one side and a wing back on the other so they all know how to set-up to exploit that?

Why say that you could sort out our defence but it would cost us in attack, then when you lose your two main goalscorers and only physical presence up front - stick to the same tactics and keep shipping goals without scoring any?

Why drop your early fake humble positive loving approach when you said the players needed their confidence built back up, only to then go fully negative and crush that confidence - even though it's obvious it's costing us on the pitch?

I hated Sherwood as manager with almost every fibre of my being but I'm pretty sure we'd have more points with him at the helm post Son injury. He was scattergun and chopped and changed tactics each game, but at least he didn't persist with things that weren't working and got the players to actually play with some passion at times. After Son's injury Jose seems content for us to sleepwalk towards the relegation zone to ensure he gets backed in the summer. It's cowardly and the squad whilst depleted is capable of more than they're being allowed to show.

Sherwood said his players had no guts...
Excellent motivator.

Sherwood said his players had no guts...
Excellent motivator.

don't get me wrong... the man is an idiot. But he called them out for showing no guts in a London derby we lost, rather than saying our players were incapable (guns with no ammo when you have Lucas, Dele, Lo Celso, Lamela who have all had decent goal scoring streaks at times) or whinging about the situation constantly.

I'd rather have Jose in charge than Sherwood long term 1000% but we need a short term rally from our players who were low on confidence and bringing in a negative manager with a negative approach has backfired badly imo.

don't get me wrong... the man is an idiot. But he called them out for showing no guts in a London derby we lost, rather than saying our players were incapable (guns with no ammo when you have Lucas, Dele, Lo Celso, Lamela who have all had decent goal scoring streaks at times) or whinging about the situation constantly.

I'd rather have Jose in charge than Sherwood long term 1000% but we need a short term rally from our players who were low on confidence and bringing in a negative manager with a negative approach has backfired badly imo.

The right leadership can make incredible things happen often in the worse of times and the worst of conditions; poor leadership only guarantees you one thing, poor results.

Leadership isn't about repeating what everyone knows (if they don't understand the reality when you're up to your neck in shit, and 'need' it explained to you (tell it as it is) you deserve to drown; showing leadership, is creating belief, making others believe, coming up with solutions against impossible odds and getting people to do what they never thought they were capable of achieving - it isn't about rolling over and declaring you're down and out. No question we need everyone to show some backbone and fight for their pride, their careers, the fans, and the shirt, they all need someone who can motivate them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I want to go through a cycle of yet another manager giving everyone a clean slate and then working through a process of which third are doing OK, which third can improve and which third need to go. It's pointless exercise just to get a new level of motivation for a short honeymoon period whether that is now or at the start of next season.

For me, one of our biggest problems is that everyone talks about Spurs long term vision but you can't find it anywhere. It's top secret and even in interviews only seems to exist in statements like "Yes, Mr Levy and I are completely aligned on the direction of this football club" or "Yes, of course we want to win the FA Cup, but our priority is finishing in the Top 4 and getting into the Champions League". It exists in a few shallow interviews.

I'm sort of feeling that there is no consequences of missing the plan that aligns to this vision at Spurs right now. Nobody is feeling proprietorial about the vision / plan and are just feeling transient, if that makes sense. Despite our chairman being anything but inspirational and aspirational in his articulation of our vision, Jose needs to build that himself at the club. He needs to paint a vision to his squad like he did when he first joined and claimed "this year, no, next year, absolutely" when asked about his chances of wining the league. If he's not getting it from above, then he needs to build it himself.

Our remaining fixtures are Man U (h) , Spam (h), Sheffield ( a) , Everton ( h), Bournemouth ( a ) , Arse ( h), Newcastle ( a), Leicester ( h), Palace ( a).

Pessimistic prediction by me is 10 points from that but it depends on returning players and their sharpness. The most optimistic I can be is 19 points.

were so bad right now in all aspects it would be a genuine surprise for me atleast if we won another game this season!

The right leadership can make incredible things happen often in the worse of times and the worst of conditions; poor leadership only guarantees you one thing, poor results.

Leadership isn't about repeating what everyone knows (if they don't understand the reality when you're up to your neck in shit, and 'need' it explained to you (tell it as it is) you deserve to drown; showing leadership, is creating belief, making other believe, coming up with solutions against impossible odds and get people to do what they never thought they were capable of achieving - it isn't about rolling over and declaring you're down and out. No question we need everyone to show some backbone and fight for their pride, their careers, the fans, and the shirt, they all need someone who can motivate them.

Wish you'd given the half time team talk instead!

I'd have been showing clips of all the big turnarounds in Spurs recently history (even the Bale hat trick that wasn't a turnaround) and told them they were capable of being club legends if they just gave 100% for the 2nd half. That they could make history if they fought for every ball. Kept going til they threw up from the effort. Not to let their concentration drop for a second. Maybe we'll see the amazon documentary and he did just that, but it doesn't feel like it.

It was interesting to watch Steve Nicol squirm when asked why it was okay for him to slate Jose for "Making Excuses" about injuries, moments after Nicol himself had blamed Allison's absence through injury for Pool's loss to Atleti.

No hypocricy or media agendas, right?

It was interesting to watch Steve Nicol squirm when asked why it was okay for him to slate Jose for "Making Excuses" about injuries, moments after Nicol himself had blamed Allison's absence through injury for Pool's loss to Atleti.

No hypocricy or media agendas, right?

Media are whores; in fairness, we should all know by now that once players turn to media work, they've given up their integrity and are paid to not be sensible or measured or even truthful - we can quote them, but half the time, they know they're just trying to get more widely quoted as that means more work, more money.

The football business from all angles is a scummy business.

Media are whores; in fairness, we should all know by now that once players turn to media work, they've given up their integrity and are paid to not be sensible or measured or even truthful - we can quote them, but half the time, they know they're just trying to get more widely quoted as that means more work, more money.

The football business from all angles is a scummy business.
Oh, God knows I agree with you about the media and ex players working in that cesspool. I mentioned Nicol's stupidity as an rebuttal to this about Ferdinand:

he's a player or rather an ex-top player; he's telling it as he sees it, as a player.

Nicol was also an ex pro and a top player. My point is, we fans know more about our club than any of these ex players and journalists. We watch every game, we conciously or not grade every performance. We have our opinions on who makes us tick and who bogs us down. We should know better to believe the tripe they are spilling.

The same could be said for Carragher's analysis of N'Dombele. That scouser does my nut in, but in this instance he gave a view of why Jose should be disgusted with the player not just by highlighting the bad, but also stating just how good he was when he had the ball. I liked that, and its the exact reason we are all so frustrated with Tanguy right now.

On the other hand, I read Rob Green's take on our performance against Leipzig and couldn't believe how stupid some of the things he was saying. It was like he knew nothing, was asked to write an article, did a quick scan of the last few week's headlines and spewed it out in one projectile vomit.

I gotta say its been an eye opener for me the extent to which the media is spinning everything Mourinho and just how much they want him to fail. From the outside looking in when he was at other clubs, I knew this went on, but assumed it was completely his own doing. This is not the case for me now. The level of over reaction to some of the things he's said is outrageous and sad to see it creeping into the mindset of our fans.

Never thought I'd be standing up for Jose, but here I am! lol

Despite the criticism, yesterday was more like football; it was the organisation in different phasing of the game that was left wanting and allowed them to get into us and score - it's about coaching now; there are residuals of Poch's game, Jose's defensive set-up and trying to play with a press - it's fine to play a tactical mix, but everyone has to know and do their job, and they don't and didn't.

As a top coach he should be able to fix that if the players want to play for him that is.

I've seen signs to support the argument that the players don't want to play for him.

One can't mistake this for players misunderstanding the tactical mix.

It really is baffling what has happened to our team. The early years under Poch the team was so energetic and lively, they fought for everything and it was on the most part done with urgency. But the last 2 seasons have been remarkable in the lack of intensity of our game. Was it an impact of over training in the early years? Pochettino trying to be too smart with his tactics?

Either way, I don't think the lethargic nature of our team falls completely on Mourinho's shoulders. There is a deeper issue as regardless of who plays we have that same problem. I don't buy that it's because our squad is filled with terrible players either. Many of these players have performed well in the past either with us or elsewhere. What's happened to them?

On Mourinho, I just don't understand his tactics recently. This 5 at the back just doesn't make sense to me. The wing backs are terrible, especially when they are actually CBs, so our failing attack has zero width to stretch their defence, hence destroying the attack even more. We have zero presence in midfield as a result of it too. Surely a better idea would be to do a more orthodox 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 to pack the midfield to try and get some sort of build up to the forwards. I enjoy watching defensive football, but you can't set up with 5 CBs, it just isn't going to work.

Hopefully getting knocked out of everything can be a blessing in disguise and the players can try to get back on track with less pressure of trying to keep up with the others and they come back next season fresh and revitalised.

It's like a domino effect. Lack of confidence in the defence and keepers, means a weak MF has to stay back, then a weak forward line has to drop deeper to win the ball or even defend. Shite wingers doesn't even pose a threat out wide to occupy the opposition. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

The 'everyone is shit except Mourinho' narrative makes little sense though. The MF staying back is by Jose's design, not through lack of confidence. The mistakes and hiding on the pitch are down to confidence though.

Why isnt Mourinho lifting the confidence? That is what really concerns me.