Standards. | Vital Football

Standards.

To be fair, part of that is fitness (as SE alluded to) and we certainly look a fitter side than in previous years in the couple of games I've seen.
Nice to hear and you're right, probably does explain some of the more "mysterious" departures/non inclusions.

In truth, Evans is able to optimise his team's performances by dramatically expanding the size of the squad, giving greater competition for places- especially in midfield. This hence explains his disagreements with Scally over transfer funds and budgets.

We also seem to be building a strong, decent midfield, and our playing style now actually uses, rather than bypasses the middle; something we haven't seen for a good while.

However, it seems unfair to imply that standards under Steve Lovell were low. After all, it was Lovell who brought the best out of Tom Eaves (one of Pennock's acquisitions).

Evans has chosen to go with a smaller squad than Lovell had, last week he said there’s no point having 3/4 players in the squad who shouldn’t be at a League 1 club (unlike last season perhaps with Rees & Co).
He’s been quite fortunate with injuries, Byrne was the only absentee today, but perhaps that’s testament to the fitness coach and sports science.

In truth, Evans is able to optimise his team's performances by dramatically expanding the size of the squad, giving greater competition for places- especially in midfield.
How is that when injured players come straight back after recovering from injury?

How is that when injured players come straight back after recovering from injury?

Well, that's his modus operandi. However, the budget restrictions with us has ensured that he has been limited to loan players to pack the midfield (like Ndjioli), who then have to return to their parent club, leaving us back with the bare bones.

I should also add that he can sometimes neglect or invest only in proven, skilful, or experienced defenders and forwards (hence explaining John Akinde).

Despite the risks and limitations, however, I'd say that so far that the Steve Evans experiment seems to be working, however.

Well, that's his modus operandi

But Willock was fit for months before being eased back in. Still not being used much. Maybe you hadn’t noticed that Wayne 😊

And apparently Jones was desperate to play a few weeks ago but Evans left him out the squad.

Similarly with O’Keefe, on the bench for a week or 2 and only being eased back in slowly.

Which player has been injured and come straight back in? I can only think of (maybe) O’Connor.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: