Bury | Page 79 | Vital Football

Bury

I disagree. They were given strict spending limits in the 2nd Division and still were unable to meet them. All their players became free agents last January.

Proper punishment is the only way to deter other clubs from failing to meet their financial obligations.

And yes "even the Spanish" as that system is riddled with favouritism and unfathomable, autocratic decisions. Yet it's still streets ahead of the EFL.

I don't think effectively liquidating a club even after it found an agreement for new investment is the way to go.

Also, we should not forget how they were replaced: Andorra FC, playing below the Tercera, paid the Spanish league a lot of money for Reus's place in the 2B. They are owned by multimillionaire former Barcelona player Gerard Pique.

The equivalent would be Billericay paying the league to let them have Bury's spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think effectively liquidating a club even after it found an agreement for new investment is the way to go.

Also, we should not forget how they were replaced: Andorra FC, playing below the Tercera, paid the Spanish league a lot of money for Reus's place in the 2B. They are owned by multimillionaire former Barcelona player Gerard Pique.

Yes, I know, it's a corrupt system. I could bore you to death further with what the Spanish League's very own Generalisimo, Javier Tebas did to the club I have a season ticket for.

I'm just saying they do at least take a very pro-active role in trying to ensure clubs can meet their obligations.

It's not even close to perfect. But it's better than what the EFL have allowed to happen with Bury and Bolton, and will happen with other clubs in the future if this is not tackled properly (Macclesfield seemingly having gone under the radar).

Yes, I know, it's a corrupt system. I could bore you to death further with what the Spanish League's very own Generalisimo, Javier Tebas did to the club I have a season ticket for.

I'm just saying they do at least take a very pro-active role in trying to ensure clubs can meet their obligations.

It's not even close to perfect. But it's better than what the EFL have allowed to happen with Bury and Bolton, and will happen with other clubs in the future if this is not tackled properly (Macclesfield seemingly having gone under the radar).

Something in between the extremes, perhaps. And I think we could both agree that while Reus may have "damaged the professional image of the competition",
the Spanish league beat it to the floor and kicked its teeth out by selling the club's spot to the highest bidder.

Sorry to go off at a tangent but to you guys that have a good knowledge of Spanish football I have a question. Some years ago (a decade maybe more?) I remember somebody or a club - the equivalent level of say Gainsborough - winning tens/hundreds of millions in the lottery with the intention of dramatically rising up through the levels. Anybody know how the story panned out?

Sorry to go off at a tangent but to you guys that have a good knowledge of Spanish football I have a question. Some years ago (a decade maybe more?) I remember somebody or a club - the equivalent level of say Gainsborough - winning tens/hundreds of millions in the lottery with the intention of dramatically rising up through the levels. Anybody know how the story panned out?

Velez Rubio no longer has a senior team.

https://elpais.com/politica/2017/12/21/actualidad/1513859657_529786.html

requires google translate

It doesn't seem much clearer really.

There's a slightly brighter light at the end of the tunnel but I'd suggest it's only ever so slightly so.

Solskjaer quote:
It's hard to keep up with the top if you don't have the resources.

No shit Sherlock?
If only Bury had realised this simple truth.

United could probably loan them a couple of full elevens without really noticing anyone was missing.

Manchester United, part of the problem, not the solution.

Agree with that last sentence, but at least they are actually doing something at last, or at least offering to, belatedly. If they do come through it might just be the saving of Bury. Debateable whether thats a good thing, to keep them alive as a club, or a bad thing for, setting a poor precedent by the EFL of intransigence (if thats the right word).

Agree with that last sentence, but at least they are actually doing something at last, or at least offering to, belatedly. If they do come through it might just be the saving of Bury. Debateable whether thats a good thing, to keep them alive as a club, or a bad thing for, setting a poor precedent by the EFL of intransigence (if thats the right word).

How might a whole set of Man Utd loanees to Bury work when it comes to the EFL Trophy matches? What if they meet each other??
That said, yes, at least Man Utd are trying to assist.

Something a little akin has happened in Scotland, Fort William who struggled even more than normal last season, shipping over 10 goals per game many times in the Highland League, have teceived a whole bunch of loanees from Inverness. Still not winning but at least scorelines are settling down more now.

Saving Bury FC and saving Bury FC's league status are two entirely different things

I sincerely hope they survive. But in my opinion their league status is now untenable. All this love for the club from the media, the local MP's and everyone else who's jumping on the PR bandwagon has come far too late.

The state of the club was public knowledge last season. IMO it's simply too late to turn this around and maintain the integrity of the league.

I'm sorry, but I believe the best course of action is for them to drop down the pyramid, re-build and try and work their way back up. Anything else makes a mockery of the league

Bury “have” to play Doncaster Rovers next Saturday is what the EFL have declared
Not sure they’ve even a team to field have they unless it’s loaning some kids from Bolton??
The Bolton v Bury match is on Sky next month it’s got 5 -5 written all over it