Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City

We're probably going to lose more games this season than in any of the last three seasons, including some we don't deserve to. That's just the reality of a big step up.

I hope some of the newer fans, who have never known anything but success, are ready for that reality.

On Akinde (wait for the criticism) I have supported Big John, but I am beginning to wonder if he just can't cut it at higher level (OK, early days yet but shades of my criticisms of him last season have already surfaced, especially today). For me the difference between Walker and him is the mobility and close control. JA also doesn't take as much advantage of situations in the box. As a striker he should be finishing but sometimes I think he can't think quickly enough to take full advantage of situations, including some he creates himself.

Danny saying it should have been three penalties.

Definitely should have had one, against Andrade, when he was tugged back a second time inside the box. Not sure about the other two, but I didn't see the other two clearly, though I did wonder when Shackell went down - he's a big unit to go down like that, but he's also professional, so who lnows.

More possession, more corners, more shots, half as many on target.
That's been the problem the last two games, over 40 efforts at goal, 10 on target and just 2 goals, welcome to league one boys.
At the other end you make a mistake you get punished as teams in league one have that little bit upfront.
Sharp learning needed in both boxes to compete with the better sides.
Teams like Southend just hanging on at this level, teams like Doncaster aren't they are aiming for the championship.
Mid table with 60 points unless Danny pulls off a couple of top drawer loan signings.
Good test next week at home to Fleetwood.

On Akinde (wait for the criticism) I have supported Big John, but I am beginning to wonder if he just can't cut it at higher level (OK, early days yet but shades of my criticisms of him last season have already surfaced, especially today). For me the difference between Walker and him is the mobility and close control. JA also doesn't take as much advantage of situations in the box. As a striker he should be finishing but sometimes I think he can't think quickly enough to take full advantage of situations, including some he creates himself.

I’m of the same opinion, although he was brilliant against Southend. Think he will be similar to Rhead in league two, some good days and some bad but overall a useful squad player, particularly against weaker sides.

I thought the Andrade one was a defo pen, if a referee understands advantage.
Eardley also looked dragged back in that area of the box too.

Robbed of at least a point by the cheat with a flag in front of the late booking lincoln fans. Two clear penalties in the second half. Shame as donny were a top 6 team last year. Andrade was well inside the box when he was brought down. Appalling officiating.

They say these decisions even out over the course of the season. Two crap decisions in two games. We'll get ours later, when we don't expect it.

The shackell one was the most stonewall pen imo, thought he was just going to nod it across goal and got wiped out.

Ref, and linesman on that side were awful.

Yeah. The third one. Shirt pulled outside the box, played advantage, then only gave a free kick when taken down in the box.

In real time I thought it was in the box too, but Andrade / our players didn't seem particularly interested and the free kick was a long way outside. Be interested if anyone has had a look on ifollow.

Danny is very worried at our lack of a creative player in centre midfield, missing Frecklington and Pett.
Reckons we need an extra player who can play that role.
Said O'Connor is still struggling.